U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 07:11 AM

3,069 posts, read 3,182,170 times

Advertisements

SInce when has anyone been forced to shop at a WalMart or Starbucks? If people want to shop at locally owned stores after WalMart comes to town they can. But most people whine and cry about how Walmart is driving out local businesses while shopping at WalMart because of the 'low low prices'. The same way they mourned the demise of the local book store while buying all their books at Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 07:31 AM

86,980 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Starbuck's isn't a monopoly here. It's more independent coffee shops and Dunkin Donuts here.
Yes, Dunkin Donuts is ubiquitous in MA. They even got a mention in an article in the American Journal of Nursing, set in Boston.

Starbucks isn't a monopoly here, but we do have a lot of them. It's pretty much them and the indies. I can only think of one Caribou coffee shop here.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, Dunkin Donuts is ubiquitous in MA. They even got a mention in an article in the American Journal of Nursing, set in Boston.

Starbucks isn't a monopoly here, but we do have a lot of them. It's pretty much them and the indies. I can only think of one Caribou coffee shop here.
What would a journal of nursing have to say about Dunkin Donuts?! I have two Dunkin Donuts in walking distance, and there's probably two more joint dunkin donuts/gas station shops in <4 mile driving distance. NY has plenty of them, though a bit less ubiquitous. I was rather surprised that there were no Dunkin Donuts in the Pacific Northwest, Starbucks seems to have the same role Dunkin Donuts plays here. The Boston Globe site compiled a state-wide map:

Dunkin' Donuts vs Starbucks Massachusetts 2013 - Boston.com

Hilltowns to the west lack both, perhaps because they also lack many potential customers.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:26 AM

86,980 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
What would a journal of nursing have to say about Dunkin Donuts?! I have two Dunkin Donuts in walking distance, and there's probably two more joint dunkin donuts/gas station shops in <4 mile driving distance. NY has plenty of them, though a bit less ubiquitous. I was rather surprised that there were no Dunkin Donuts in the Pacific Northwest, Starbucks seems to have the same role Dunkin Donuts plays here. The Boston Globe site compiled a state-wide map:

Dunkin' Donuts vs Starbucks Massachusetts 2013 - Boston.com

Hilltowns to the west lack both, perhaps because they also lack many potential customers.
It was one of those "human interest" stories. I don't have the mag any more, but I believe a Boston homeless person told his nurse to get herself a cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts and put it on his tab. Something like that.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:58 AM

4,893 posts, read 7,652,237 times
We're on the other end of the spectrum, I think.

The only national chain restaurant in downtown Youngstown--that I can think of--is Subway, and it doesn't even have a street presence; it's in an arcade/food court. There is also a local pizza chain--Pizza Joes--in the same food court. Pretty much everything else is local. I say we're on the opposite end of the spectrum, because national chains aren't interested in locating downtown. Its resurgence is still too new. Even though we have two great coffee shops, I still hear people say, "if only we had a Starbucks downtown..."

Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,294,298 times
LMAO our Starbucks has a horrible traffic entry ad a really poor location, the only reason they stay in business is the tourists and the indie unemployed who lounge their for free wifi. I never see anyone carrying their cups. One store in a city of 30,000.

And yet there are four Dunkins here.

In our town of 650 there are three local businesses, a general store and two bars. I go to the store for emergencies, everybody goes into the metropolis once a week to shop.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:34 PM

56,502 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Starbuck's isn't a monopoly here. It's more independent coffee shops and Dunkin Donuts here.
Same up here, as I think that there are 2 or 3 Starbucks in the whole metro area.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:25 PM

1,110 posts, read 907,693 times
Starbucks is nowhere close to a monopoly. The East coast has both Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts competing and the Northeast is almost solidly Dunkin. Both have the same lackluster coffee IMO.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:54 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,716,813 times
In Albuquerque there is a dichotomous growth pattern in new businesses. Parts of the city that are growing fast, and mainly by middle-class newcomers from out of state, are driving the growth of big box stores and chain food outlets, while the inner parts of the city which is dominated by both enchrenched multi-generational residents as well as new urbanites (or what qualifies in New Mexico as such), many of whom are from the NY/NE area and PNW, have over the pat decade+, created something of a rennaisance of new independant businesses.

A correlation I have noticed, the more reliant a neighborhood is on driving, in terms of drive time/day, the more likely they are to patronize chains, whereas people who drive shorter distances, bike, or walk, i.e. live in older parts of town with a more compatible residence-services ratio, tend to be more eager to patronize smaller, local businesses.

As far as coffee goes, my neighborhood area has two Starbucks, one Dunkin Donuts (yes even in the desert Southwest!), and too many independant coffeeshops to count off the top of my head, but I would say at least a dozen.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:22 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,264,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Starbucks is nowhere close to a monopoly. The East coast has both Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts competing and the Northeast is almost solidly Dunkin. Both have the same lackluster coffee IMO.

I don't know if Dunkin Donuts qualifies as a coffee shop. People go there mainly for the donuts. They are a donut shop. McDonalds sells coffee too but are not considered a coffee shop. Not counting Dunkin Donuts would you say Starbucks dominates the coffee shop business on the east cost? I think they are definitely a monopoly on the west coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or