Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:00 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I just moved here, so it's pretty unorganized to me. If your not familar with Houston than it can be pretty complicated.
Well that can go for any major city usa or even world. But it won't take long to get use to the gridded system of inner Houston. But Houston doesn't have jack on some of the other cities. DC, Boston, and Atlanta are much more confusing because they do not follow a direct system. Especially Atlanta and Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 08:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well that can go for any major city usa or even world. But it won't take long to get use to the gridded system of inner Houston. But Houston doesn't have jack on some of the other cities. DC, Boston, and Atlanta are much more confusing because they do not follow a direct system. Especially Atlanta and Boston.
Anyone would tell you that Houston has a confusing street system. Random stop signs in the middle of the street, dead ends without warnings, two way streets turning into one way streets, narrow streets, streets turning into highways,etc. I'm not the only one who thinks Houston has a confusing street system.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:30 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Some cities have such an organized street-grid that it actually becomes confusing. One example is Minneapolis. They have a 3rd Street E, 3rd Street W, 3rd Street S, and a 3rd Street N. If it was just 3rd, I could handle it but it seems that all the streets there are like that. Everytime I have gone there, I became lost.
So true. This is the case in New Orleans. There is a huge street grid that covers almost all of the city, but the grid follows the curvature of the Mississippi River, so when you look at a map of the entire city, most of the grid forms a giant "S". Then as you get farther away from the river, the blocks begin to get narrower, until finally some vertical streets on the grid meet one another, forming extremely awkward acute angles in many cases. It is extremely easy to get turned around in New Orleans. In uptown you can follow the same street for its entire length, and start out going south, then gradually turning west, then gradually ending up going north. Then it doesn't help that locals do not give directions in terms of North/South, but in terms of upriver and downriver. You could be going upriver, and going south at the same time because of the Mississippi River curves.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:46 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Anyone would tell you that Houston has a confusing street system. Random stop signs in the middle of the street, dead ends without warnings, two way streets turning into one way streets, narrow streets, streets turning into highways,etc. I'm not the only one who thinks Houston has a confusing street system.
You are describing every place in America. Random stop signs, dead ends w/o warning, two way streets turning into one way streets, narrow streets, all that you just said is nothing different than what you will find in every other city in the country. But look at these maps.
All images from imageshack.
Boston

Atlanta

Washington DC

Houston
http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/3985/houston0rp.jpg (broken link)

Houston is a breeze compared to these cities. Especially compared to Atlanta and Boston.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:11 PM

6 posts, read 37,778 times
I was just in Boston, mostly Cambridge, this past weekend and I was a mess not being on the Chicago grid system.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:26 PM

416 posts, read 712,855 times
Boston.

New York was also a mess but they tore it down a few times and go it straightened out. Philadelphia was planned from the start, as were all subsequent cities, afaik. (Although perhaps not all planned well!)

Last edited by Unstable; 11-13-2008 at 11:36 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 01:16 AM

880 posts, read 2,862,295 times
Atlanta has very unorganized streets. Many winding two lane cowpaths with heavy traffic volume and many one ways.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You are describing every place in America. Random stop signs, dead ends w/o warning, two way streets turning into one way streets, narrow streets, all that you just said is nothing different than what you will find in every other city in the country. But look at these maps.
All images from imageshack.
Boston

Atlanta

Washington DC

Houston

Houston is a breeze compared to these cities. Especially compared to Atlanta and Boston.
It all looks unorganized to me....

Old 11-16-2008, 03:56 PM

505 posts, read 1,386,557 times
Quote:
It all looks unorganized to me....
On the Houston map, you can clearly see that the streets are organized in little squares. This even includes the highways surrounding the city.

For the maps of Boston, Washington, and Atlanta, there isn't a single part of the city from these maps that follows that pattern.

Old 11-16-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem3456 View Post
On the Houston map, you can clearly see that the streets are organized in little squares. This even includes the highways surrounding the city.

For the maps of Boston, Washington, and Atlanta, there isn't a single part of the city from these maps that follows that pattern.
Ok thats fine, but can i just have my opinion?? You people just don't give it a rest. The streets are unorganized to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning