Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 05:59 AM

9,330 posts, read 13,002,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwanko View Post
As others have said, Philadelphia doesn't have a super well defined social dividing line in the city proper at this point. However, the parts of City Ave that aren't St. Joe's campus feel like a fairly sharp divider between Overbrook/Wynnefield and Lower Merion in my experience.

In terms of physical iron curtains, Roosevelt Blvd is one of the most intimidatingly wide and busy streets i've ever seen.
Overbrook/Wynnefield do have very nice housing stock--quite similar to bordering Bala-Cynwyd/Merion/Wynnewood, though a lot of it has been converted into apartments and/or kept up poorly. Many homes are still quite nice though (especially in Overbrook Farms). "Lower" (aka rowhouse) Wynnefield and Overbrook Park are a bit of a different story. Still, while I agree that City Avenue is a definite dividing line, I don't know if I'd call it Philly's Iron Curtain. Cheltenham Avenue is a bit sharper, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 06:03 PM

233 posts, read 334,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Overbrook/Wynnefield do have very nice housing stock--quite similar to bordering Bala-Cynwyd/Merion/Wynnewood, though a lot of it has been converted into apartments and/or kept up poorly. Many homes are still quite nice though (especially in Overbrook Farms). "Lower" (aka rowhouse) Wynnefield and Overbrook Park are a bit of a different story. Still, while I agree that City Avenue is a definite dividing line, I don't know if I'd call it Philly's Iron Curtain. Cheltenham Avenue is a bit sharper, IMO.
You're right about the housing stock on either side of city line not being that different (except around 76th and city, once you get past the shopping centers). I guess it's more that City Ave itself feels different to me than anywhere else in Lower Merion, so once I reach it I feel like I've entered the city.

Also, you know that intersection where there are two Sunocos diagonally across from each other on city ave and conshohocken? Weirdly enough the one on the Wynnefield side has bulletproof glass and the Bala Cynwyd side doesn't, which seems bizarre and excessive but is interesting I suppose.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:37 AM

9,330 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thwanko View Post
You're right about the housing stock on either side of city line not being that different (except around 76th and city, once you get past the shopping centers). I guess it's more that City Ave itself feels different to me than anywhere else in Lower Merion, so once I reach it I feel like I've entered the city.

Also, you know that intersection where there are two Sunocos diagonally across from each other on city ave and conshohocken? Weirdly enough the one on the Wynnefield side has bulletproof glass and the Bala Cynwyd side doesn't, which seems bizarre and excessive but is interesting I suppose.
There's definitely a difference in feel between Wynnefield/Overbrook and inner Bala-Cynwyd/Merion/Wynnewood; without a doubt, City Avenue functions as a socioeconomic barrier. I just don't think it's iron curtain-extreme.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Lake Washington is an iron curtain between Seattle and the snobby suburban 1%-ers in Bellevue.
I don't agree. There are plenty of people in Seattle, such as Madison Park and Magnolia that are more snobby and have more $ than the average Bellevue resident. The median family income in Madison Park is $123k, Magnolia is $103k, Bellevue is only $88,000.

I would not consider there to be an iron curtain in Seattle, even the least safe, lowest income areas are gradually becoming gentrified and mixed income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning