U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 07:37 AM

3,593 posts, read 5,356,191 times

Advertisements

We've been having trouble finding qualified candidates almost every time a position was posted. Most of the applicants had little or no TransCAD experience, much less being able to run a four step. H1-B visa workers can probably fill most of the gaps, but this is not the ideal way to address the issue. Thoughts and experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 09:18 AM

14,173 posts, read 16,302,764 times
Training.

Nobody is coming out of school TransCad experience. It's not difficult to use.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:38 AM

328 posts, read 257,208 times
How do you even get into Transportation Modeling?

<---- interested urban planning and GIS student

Old 06-27-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdscott View Post
How do you even get into Transportation Modeling?

<---- interested urban planning and GIS student
Being affiliated with the right department at the right university helps. In Texas University of Texas has a Center for Transportation Research that does a lot of this, but this is more the exception than the rule.

This really should be a track in Planning Masters programs, but lots of people seem to fall into it once they start working for an MPO, COG or similar.

Old 06-28-2014, 05:32 AM

3,213 posts, read 3,287,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
We've been having trouble finding qualified candidates almost every time a position was posted. Most of the applicants had little or no TransCAD experience, much less being able to run a four step. H1-B visa workers can probably fill most of the gaps, but this is not the ideal way to address the issue. Thoughts and experience?
You should expect to train new people on specific software you use or pay a premium for people someone else has trained. This is the problem with many companies today. They have cut their internal training programs and then whine when they cannot get people trained to their specific requirements. I just looked at the TransCAD web site. The cheapest licenses start at $4000. You expect people to get experience on their own when the cost of entry is that high? Sure H1-B visa workers can, they probably trained on pirated software

Old 06-30-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
You should expect to train new people on specific software you use or pay a premium for people someone else has trained. This is the problem with many companies today. They have cut their internal training programs and then whine when they cannot get people trained to their specific requirements. I just looked at the TransCAD web site. The cheapest licenses start at $4000. You expect people to get experience on their own when the cost of entry is that high? Sure H1-B visa workers can, they probably trained on pirated software
Actually $4k is better than I thought and competitive with a lot of GIS. But you are right that there is nothing like a 90 trial version included free with an exercise book.

Yeah for the modeling software I'm referring to they have always used a USB key which might make it harder to procure a workaround. Now they are going to some type of machine-specific ID system that I guess is the next generation of protection.

I think part of the problem is the way modeling is presented to students. I never actually knew of it as an application, but rather a vague concept, until I got into the industry. I remember an urban planning textbook having one paragraph on it that really lived up to the "black box" reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or