Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 08:14 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,702 times

Advertisements

I am not going to make a big statement about this yet.

GINGERFICATION is what is it caled. Basically whiting out the world itself.

We have the gay-k-k. which are the non-heterosexuals who are really white supremacists. "Flag Wars 2003"

Then we have the yuppies ( Hipsters ) who comes into town and donate their money, wasting time in college. Over time they become pro-racism"King of the Hill HIPSTER episode"

Among them we can have some non-Europeans, so we all can say everybody is equal.

It is like a reversal racism, and you do not realize it is really a take over. Even Latin/Asian/Indian/Oriental/X-religion people do it as well. Basically buy out the entire neighborhood, get all the non-Eurpeans into lower income housings.

.................................... IT IS CALLED GINGERFICATION. If you know somebody from the HEARTLAND AMERICA, and they are an college student, in your area, staying in a dorm ( safehouse ). Chances are by the time they leave, they will have temendous hate from everything non-European, or whatever their culture is. However it works in reverse as well. People from around the world, looking for fun and excitement, and they go back home appreciating what they had all this time.

BUt the process repeats itself over and over again, till everything becomes too expensive. Basically college students are living in ghettos, that was once party stops, but are really tourist traps for the HYPE of going to college. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................. Many feminists are like this, as well as unsuspecting women, who becomes victims of this lifestyle. Men are also victims, but it does not matter, until the money runs out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 08:24 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
^^ W. T. F.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:17 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
I am not going to make a big statement about this yet.

GINGERFICATION is what is it caled. Basically whiting out the world itself.

We have the gay-k-k. which are the non-heterosexuals who are really white supremacists. "Flag Wars 2003"

Then we have the yuppies ( Hipsters ) who comes into town and donate their money, wasting time in college. Over time they become pro-racism"King of the Hill HIPSTER episode"

Among them we can have some non-Europeans, so we all can say everybody is equal.

It is like a reversal racism, and you do not realize it is really a take over. Even Latin/Asian/Indian/Oriental/X-religion people do it as well. Basically buy out the entire neighborhood, get all the non-Eurpeans into lower income housings.

.................................... IT IS CALLED GINGERFICATION. If you know somebody from the HEARTLAND AMERICA, and they are an college student, in your area, staying in a dorm ( safehouse ). Chances are by the time they leave, they will have temendous hate from everything non-European, or whatever their culture is. However it works in reverse as well. People from around the world, looking for fun and excitement, and they go back home appreciating what they had all this time.

BUt the process repeats itself over and over again, till everything becomes too expensive. Basically college students are living in ghettos, that was once party stops, but are really tourist traps for the HYPE of going to college. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................. Many feminists are like this, as well as unsuspecting women, who becomes victims of this lifestyle. Men are also victims, but it does not matter, until the money runs out.
It has nothing to do with race! Gentrification is an economic force. I live in Vancouver where there is no such thing as Black or Hispanic neighbourhoods. The poorest neighbourhoods are mostly filled with destitute Whites, a minority of Aboriginals and a few refugees. Gentrification is still a huge and contentious issue! It doesn't matter what race the previous inhabitants of the poor neighbourhood were, or what the race of the gentrifiers are. This stuff happens even in nearly completely homogenous cities like Tokyo and Seoul! Singapore, Mumbai, Buenos Aires. Get over your American fixation on race, it's blinded you to the true causes for and dynamics of social processes.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:28 AM

172 posts, read 292,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Well, except when it doesn't. Gentrification of non-residential areas happens (e.g. parts of Philadelphia's Northern Liberties); if anyone was living there before, they were homeless or squatters, not working class.
That has been written about as well - it is still claiming more sections of the city for upper/middle class consumption while removing potential opportunities for working class housing to pop up in those areas. I never said direct displacement always has to occur (although it usually does in some form or another), but what happened in Northern Liberties is still very much a class-based process.

I should also note that displacement doesn't always have to mean working class people leaving the neighborhood. It can also mean the displacement of working class businesses or even less tangible things like social hubs or an area's overall culture/identity.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:31 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
It has nothing to do with race! Gentrification is an economic force. I live in Vancouver where there is no such thing as Black or Hispanic neighbourhoods. The poorest neighbourhoods are mostly filled with destitute Whites, a minority of Aboriginals and a few refugees. Gentrification is still a huge and contentious issue! It doesn't matter what race the previous inhabitants of the poor neighbourhood were, or what the race of the gentrifiers are. This stuff happens even in nearly completely homogenous cities like Tokyo and Seoul! Singapore, Mumbai, Buenos Aires. Get over your American fixation on race, it's blinded you to the true causes for and dynamics of social processes.
I really wish I could agree with you, but you just agreed with me. Your pretty much rounded up, the majority of the standard people, and labeled them as being poor. In America it is basically supremacist groups, groups of people who only talks to people who have jobs, instead of trying to help people get jobs. People who use other people, based on the financial gains. People who hide behind being helpless small bodied people, and use fear to get what they want. That is how GINGERFICATION WORKS, in the USA.

In my area, I see it all the time. Rows of houses, being occupied by people who does not speak the national language. If not then rows of houses with people identifying themselves as one cult or other nation. These people just do not want to get along with anybody at all. They are just a bunch of a supremacists ( mostly white but can be other race groups ), who abuses peoples brainwashed nature, and makes example of people to scare them from making any contact with them, or having any success. The battle grounds, could be the home, schools, colleges, workplace, part time jobs, city council, and so forth.

It is wrong to make up rules that violates peoples rights or ownership of housing or structures. It is wrong to force people out of their home, and threaten them with jail time. It is wrong to raise more barriers to keep people out of your neighborhood, or call it "quality of life". It is wrong to pretend to be for other peoples needs, when your in it for yourself.

What is funny, the ultimate victim is that yuppie, who comes from another nation, or another state, with an ton of cash, and does not realize how foolish they are, or maybe they do realize it. Social processes??? I see a bunch of distractions, that last long enough to rob a person of their inheritances.

Again I wish I could agree with you, but you referencing those groups in Canada as being poor and misguided just supports my opinion. I mean how many, "Lets repopulate Canada with the Aboriginals, and indigenous people. Lets make a refugee into an official Canadian, and not label them a refugee anymore. Lets take destitute whites, and turn them into people who are fully equiped with resources. Better yet, why don't we just give everybody a break in life, and make everywhere look like main street or the towns square. In my opinion, you agree with the idea of shoving all of those people into low-income housing structures, and clearing them out, in exchange for people with fat wallets.

That is thing, what kind of people are we allowing to invade our neighborhoods? I don't care about if they are sickos, mad people, or whatever. I am disagreeing with the model, of moving people around, little by little by little in order to achieve the goal of supremacy, of a race. THAT IS HOW GINGERFICATION IS IN THE UNITED STATES. I am not talking about Canada, I am not talking about the US.

Why not go door, to door, and help residents achieve a higher way of living or standard? Why not

I mean for years and years we have been saying auuwwwhhhh, look at the harmless group of people comming into our neighborhoods, and so forth. Nowadays they are all over the place, and do not care one ounce of America. To make things worst they carry the same fear, I had never accepted into my life, and install the idea on to people. I prefer each row of houses to consist of different kinds of people. Not just one group of people with one cause. For example, one neighborhood appears mixed but their is only like one or two people on the block who are really friendly.

I do not care about the money process. I just disagree with the idea of forcing people to migrate, through economic means. By the end of the day it is an string of people, who are paranoid and fearful about everything and everyone. It is purely supremacists. A bunch of supremacists, dipping into each others pool.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:33 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_ View Post
That has been written about as well - it is still claiming more sections of the city for upper/middle class consumption while removing potential opportunities for working class housing to pop up in those areas. I never said direct displacement always has to occur (although it usually does in some form or another), but what happened in Northern Liberties is still very much a class-based process.
It's true that Northern Liberties had a small population base 20 years ago but nearly all of it was west of 4th St. while nearly all of the development in the last 10-15 years has taken place east of 4th St. and especially east of 3rd St . . . a part of the neighborhood that very few people lived in.

The population has nearly doubled since 1980 but then so has the number of housing units.

You can't gentrify a pier or a warehouse anymore than you can gentrify a farm field.

Quote:
I should also note that displacement doesn't always have to mean working class people leaving the neighborhood. It can also mean the displacement of working class businesses or even less tangible things like social hubs or an area's overall culture/identity.
This idea of working class displacement doesn't hold up to any study of it. The reason we see these changes happening in the first place is because our economy has fundamentally changed (one could argue that it's changed twice) since the industrial era and our cities have changed with it. To the extent that a working class even exists anymore there is no more connection to the city because there are no more factory jobs in numbers that are remotely relevant and the working poor have been following retail jobs to the suburbs for 20+ years.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:08 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
I think I understand where Regal is coming from. I assume you are one of the people who has been displaced - landlord sold out or "homeless" displaced from your home by increased enforcement.

Quote:
By the end of the day it is an string of people, who are paranoid and fearful about everything and everyone.
I see this in the listserv of the gentrified neighborhood where I used to live. Not everyone, but there is the fearful element who want to pretend they are living in Disneyworld because so many houses are so nicely fixed up. Some think it must be a great neighborhood because rich people live there, and if THEY were rich they would never live around the scary elements. What they don't realize is that a lot of the rich people are risk takers - and that's how they got rich.

Kind of OT: but I own rentals in the gentrified neighborhood and I finally figured out I get MUCH better renters when I advertize the location more generally: ____ _____ near downtown. That way I get renters who are more open minded and can think for themselves. When I advertise the location as "name brand neighborhood" I am overwhelmed with a bunch of sheep - many of them timid.

Back on topic - this is Type 1 gentrification which is more gradual. I assume Northern Liberties is type 2 - undertaken by larger developers with perhaps the help of city government. And yes people do get forced out in type 2 scenarios.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:12 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
Quote:
To the extent that a working class even exists anymore there is no more connection to the city because there are no more factory jobs in numbers that are remotely relevant and the working poor have been following retail jobs to the suburbs for 20+ years.
This is hyperbole. There are still cities in the south with industries - I live in one of them. But I agree that poverty is migrating to the suburbs and it can be more painful because of the added car expense.

Old 07-04-2014, 02:34 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard_ View Post
That has been written about as well - it is still claiming more sections of the city for upper/middle class consumption while removing potential opportunities for working class housing to pop up in those areas.
Why would working house housing "pop up" in the first place?

Old 07-05-2014, 12:42 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Displacement certainly makes it sound dramatic but the extent to which this actually happens (as opposed to turnover) is highly questionable. Urban renters move every couple of years on average and neighborhood transition typically takes 20-30 years.

Northern Liberties still isn't finished (still some old warehouses and empty lots) and people have been talking it up at least since the mid-90s. Park Slope has always been a nicer neighborhood but it didn't transition into what it is today overnight.
Depends. Apartments with rent control are like gold in the "inner Bay Area." No one leaves until they get married, seriously coupled or buy a place. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning