Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 04:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
So is there a "right" to subsidized public roads?

And if so, why the difference?
Where'd I say that? Please cite, and we'll talk.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:00 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
From an econ perspective, it doesn't make sense to build infrastructure unless there's a clear and present demand for it. And I use demand very strictly to mean something people want and are willing and able to pay for, either directly or through taxes. So, if the city can't fund its construction and ongoing maintenance, the infrastructure shouldn't be put in place.
Actually, that's not really correct.

If there's a clear and present demand for say a ten-lane highway but for some reason you don't expect there to be any demand for even an eight-lane highway in five years, you'd be completely stupid to build even an eight-lane highway. Now, generally demand only goes one direction (up) since population is growing in this country. But that's not ALWAYS universally true. Take Detroit. Tons of excess road capacity.

What matters far more than present demand is anticipated future demand.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:05 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

If there's a clear and present demand for say a ten-lane highway but for some reason you don't expect there to be any demand for even an eight-lane highway in five years, you'd be completely stupid to build even an eight-lane highway. Now, generally demand only goes one direction (up) since population is growing in this country. But that's not ALWAYS universally true. Take Detroit. Tons of excess road capacity.

Which is true for every single piece of public infrastructure. A sewer plant processes X gallons per day. What is the projected demand in 10 or 20 years. You can't add a single EDU capacity, typically you add in modules of 100. The current ratepayers then pay the bonds on that expansion until development catches up and the new customers pay a tap fee. You can use that analogy for all public works.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
When were roads for-profit in the United States?

And constitutionally (Article 1, Section 8), Congress can build and maintain post roads.

It doesn't say:

car roads
truck roads
bus roads
bicycle roads
atv roads
people roads
train roads
military roads
make-my-30-mile-drive-from-home-to-my-work-and-back-again-as-quick-as-possible roads.

Post roads. That's it.

So while there is no "right" for public transit to be subsidized, there is also no "right" for personal transit to be subsidized, federally speaking, of course.
There is a long history of toll roads in this country.
Toll road - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, I'm aware of post roads in the constitution. Apparently some posters are not. One can argue that post roads include roads to people's homes to deliver the mail. I'm not interested in getting into such an argument. Roads have long been considered a part of infrastructure, and I have argued that point many times on this forum. However, vehicles are not generally considered infrastructure.

ETA: I think the commerce clause of the constitution would include some of those other uses, especially military roads.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:24 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Which is true for every single piece of public infrastructure. A sewer plant processes X gallons per day. What is the projected demand in 10 or 20 years. You can't add a single EDU capacity, typically you add in modules of 100. The current ratepayers then pay the bonds on that expansion until development catches up and the new customers pay a tap fee. You can use that analogy for all public works.
Of course.

And sometimes that backfires on you. We built a fancy-schmancy water treatment plant during boom years expecting the huge population growth to continue, which it hasn't. So now we've got a lot more capacity than we'll probably need for longer than was anticipated and less fees to cover the bonds.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:12 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,463,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post

I don't get your example. How a big highway would make sense, but a smaller pipe would be under-utilized I cannot imagine. Demand is like water, if it fills a big cup, it'll fill a smaller cup.

Any way we talk about it, economic demand should exist for the infrastructure to be built. Whereas, for several decades and even now, the infrastructure has lead the economic growth.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:57 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No, the number is 50.4%.

That poster was me.
$153.0 billion spent. $77.1 billion in state and local user fees and taxes. $28 billion from the Federal gasoline tax -- which is 68.7%. The headline number of one-half is simply a lie, as it omits the funds from the Federal gasoline tax.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:06 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,452,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Not really. I provided hard numbers. Like I said, they already studied this in Denmark.

Also, there is a direct correlation between bikable / walkable communities and small business sales. People walking or on bikes have easier access to small shops, as they usually have limited car parking.

Do you have any numbers?
Non-sequitur. This post was wholly non-responsive to the post you quoted which complained about your equivocal references to cars being a "liability".

You did not indicate who "owned" the liability - i.e., was saddled with the liability. You simply proclaimed that there was a liability. With respect to your first linked article, Denmark isn't the US and a "social benefit" for a municipality does not directly translate to a benefit to the individuals in the city.

As to the remark regarding "bikable communities" - in what way does that make cars a liability?

Old 08-19-2014, 09:47 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Any way we talk about it, economic demand should exist for the infrastructure to be built. Whereas, for several decades and even now, the infrastructure has lead the economic growth.
Don't know where you're talking about, but in the Washington DC, Philadelphia, and NYC areas, infrastructure has most certainly NOT lead economic growth. Roads run at service level F, transit is packed and sometimes unreliable due to infrastructure issues, even water and sewer systems are barely keeping up in some cases.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:49 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Where'd I say that? Please cite, and we'll talk.
You said: " There is no "right" to subsidized public transit".

I asked: So do you think there is a "right" to subsidized public roads?

It was a simple question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning