U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 02:46 PM

14,068 posts, read 16,085,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Metro-wide governance is clumsier when the metro goes across state lines.
Maybe. I'd say the MTA does a better job of handling things than the myriad of transit agencies in the Bay Area, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 05:14 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,893,639 times
In California, it's hard to say what is a suburb and not these days since there are centers of employment scattered across all urban areas. A true, like a bedroom community, will have limited economic engines and be a place where people sleep, eat, and shop.

I think now a days the correct term would be a bedroom community. When I think of a suburb, I think of a suburb as a residential community within a large city like how much of the San Fernando Valley in LA was. It was clear the suburbs were bedroom communities to LA. Now, you can have a suburb be a bedroom community to several different cities.

Do any states in CA still use the term "suburb" officially anymore in any city planning policies or laws? If I believe correctly, there hasn't been a definition of what a suburb is since the 60s.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:20 PM

5,247 posts, read 3,018,567 times
No riots in suburbia.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:34 PM

4,896 posts, read 7,659,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
No riots in suburbia.
Isn't Ferguson a suburb?

Old 05-02-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Isn't Ferguson a suburb?
Yup it is. Riots are based on the social and economics of an area, not on the fact if it's a city or suburb. Lower socio economic communities will have the police to people race war.

The only way sprawl can end is if water and resources end out. I don't see that happening because we will come up with ways around it. A suburb can become a city over the years as well just a city can downgrade to a suburb or ex-urb of another city over years.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Ferguson is a city.
Ferguson, Missouri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
21,000 population is hardly a city

Old 05-03-2015, 11:33 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,128,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Quote:
Ferguson is a city in St. Louis County, Missouri, United States.
Are you saying your link is incorrect?

Old 05-03-2015, 02:20 PM

2,704 posts, read 2,369,891 times
Nitpick much? City and suburb are not mutually exclusive. Obviously Ferguson is a "city" but it isn't a city of any size; It is a suburb of St. Louis which was the whole point thecity was making.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:16 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,321,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Ferguson is a ghetto.
Fixed that for you.

Old 05-03-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Nitpick much? City and suburb are not mutually exclusive. Obviously Ferguson is a "city" but it isn't a city of any size; It is a suburb of St. Louis which was the whole point thecity was making.
Yeah it's a small city. I'm sure it has it's own economy, but since it's outside St. Louis I guessed it would be under the influence or a working class bedroom community to St. Louis.

I really feel that the 60s suburb, today's suburb, and a bedroom community are different things.

A suburb today can be a city under the influence of a larger urban area. Where as a suburb of the 60s, the one I think of, is a white-picket fence suburban housing developments with a mall, schools, churches, parks, markets, and a 80% of the population commuting into the city for work and usually incorporated due being able having large retail tax revenue. Today, that would equate to bedroom communities, which I think are more likely to be unincorporated communities (rather community service districts or under countys) that are mostly residential and shopping where people live and go to work in one of many cities.

While communities like Ferguson may have some people commute into St. Louis, there is probably a bunch of them who work in Ferguson in some low-end job and also work in another suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or