U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:34 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,193,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Might be cheaper to do this: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Sho...dfdb30b8c042d5

You wouldn't even know you're crossing the freeway.

I have never been to Columbus but I have heard a lot about this project and how it connects two very busy neighborhoods into one much bigger district. And I like how it makes the highway invisible at this point. Good to hear success stories of urban renewal!

Denver missed the opportunity to do something similar over I-25. They built a pedestrian bridge over I-25 that connects Highland to Commons Park and then another bridge over the railroads to connect to the downtown 16th St Mall. The ped bridge over 10 lanes of rush hour traffic (24/7) makes the connection but is not a pleasant walking experience. They also just rebuilt the 15th St bridge over I-25 and a "retail" bridge like Columbus's would have connected two retail areas. Further south, a cap over I-25 near Downing would have connected the Washington Park neighborhood with DU.

Given the amount of damage highways have done to urban areas, it would be nice to see more effort and money spent "fixing" it when possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 12:07 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,079,459 times
Miami is going in another direction, looking to build some park space beneath a $700M widened, re-constructed highway/landmark bridge connecting to Miami Beach ("Miami Signature Bridge"). I think a better approach would be to make the highway "invisible" by putting it at or slightly below grade level (we have a shallow water table here) and cap it with a mound with park space and bike paths on top. The park space would make the area more attractive than any mega bridge structure would.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:59 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,674,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Miami is going in another direction, looking to build some park space beneath a $700M widened, re-constructed highway/landmark bridge connecting to Miami Beach ("Miami Signature Bridge"). I think a better approach would be to make the highway "invisible" by putting it at or slightly below grade level (we have a shallow water table here) and cap it with a mound with park space and bike paths on top. The park space would make the area more attractive than any mega bridge structure would.
I think an even better idea than a park under an overpass would be to allow shops under the overpass. You can't get sunlight under a bridge, so a green space would be useless, and a plaza would feel a little confined under the shadow of the overpass. So instead, you could convert the area under an overpass to a commercial space, perhaps maybe an indoor mall or something, or just a couple of shops lining the road. That would give people the best reason to go under the overpass, and would be a bigger draw than a park under the overpass.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:30 PM

5,093 posts, read 6,858,898 times
Phoenix has some overpass parks over I-10. Also Manhattan has their High Line, which is arguably the best urban park I can think of.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:39 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
Lytle Park disguises I-71 in downtown Cincinnati. There are fantasies of covering up the length of Fort Washington Way, the portion of I-71 that runs parallel to the Ohio River between Third Street downtown and Second Street and the riverfront.

When Fort Washington Way was reconstructed 10 or so years ago, the engineers did what I thought was a fantastic job of adding plenty of attractive street-level bridges crossing the highway to connect Third Street and Second Street, but some people apparently are afraid and/or incapable of crossing bridges and still whine about how the riverfront is 'cut off' from downtown.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:37 PM

9,425 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Though technically not a freeway Lake Shore Drive essentially has the same effect of bisecting Chicago from its lakeshore. I think they should build a big green lid park over LSD in Grant Park to connect the park to the waterfront. LSD could use a few more lid parks to the north including in Lincoln Park.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:14 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,514,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Phoenix has some overpass parks over I-10. Also Manhattan has their High Line, which is arguably the best urban park I can think of.
I love the High Line, but I don't think it counts as a freeway cap. It is a great example of how to reuse old elevated tracks and turn it into a park.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:23 AM

28,441 posts, read 71,029,142 times
Default Much worse south of Chicago's central areas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Though technically not a freeway Lake Shore Drive essentially has the same effect of bisecting Chicago from its lakeshore. I think they should build a big green lid park over LSD in Grant Park to connect the park to the waterfront. LSD could use a few more lid parks to the north including in Lincoln Park.
The relative separation of the Lake from essentially endless acres of Museum Campus and Parks is nothing compared to the horrific gash of rail lines that creates a canyon miles wide separating the southerly residential areas from any kind of recreational space. Daley had some pie-in-the sky plans drawn up to deck that over with greenspace at least closest to the townhouse he got for himself in sweetheart deal. Alas the the reality of MASSIVE cost overruns at the similarly "land over rail siding" Millenium Park but a nail in that coffin.

Frankly all the "proposals" above might as well be done in the land of unicorns -- the shrinking revenue from a switch away from gasoline hurts the "motor fuel taxes" that traditionally have paid for these kind "improvements". Voters are being crushed by tax increases to pay for the pensions promissed to workers but never funded by lying polticians, they certsinly won't approve anything that adds more costly infrastructure expenditures when the roads & bridges are already crumbling / a war zone of potholes...

Old 07-19-2014, 10:38 AM

9,425 posts, read 18,324,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The relative separation of the Lake from essentially endless acres of Museum Campus and Parks is nothing compared to the horrific gash of rail lines that creates a canyon miles wide separating the southerly residential areas from any kind of recreational space. Daley had some pie-in-the sky plans drawn up to deck that over with greenspace at least closest to the townhouse he got for himself in sweetheart deal. Alas the the reality of MASSIVE cost overruns at the similarly "land over rail siding" Millenium Park but a nail in that coffin.

Frankly all the "proposals" above might as well be done in the land of unicorns -- the shrinking revenue from a switch away from gasoline hurts the "motor fuel taxes" that traditionally have paid for these kind "improvements". Voters are being crushed by tax increases to pay for the pensions promissed to workers but never funded by lying polticians, they certsinly won't approve anything that adds more costly infrastructure expenditures when the roads & bridges are already crumbling / a war zone of potholes...
Yeah I know, same old story. This seems to be reflective of American ambition towards 21st century infrastructure. Politics as usual.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:28 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,111,408 times
There are at least 3 plans in the L.A. area that are pretty far along to cap freeways:

Cap over the 101 in Downtown LA:
Friends of Park 101 | City of Los Angeles Park 101 District

Cap over the 101 in Hollywood:
https://hollywoodcentralpark.org/home

Cap over the 134 in Glendale:
Space 134: About
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or