U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:41 PM

9,450 posts, read 18,372,524 times

Advertisements

I just read an article that St. Louis is capping one of its downtown freeways with a big green lid park to make seamless transition and green space between downtown and the Arch and Mississippi River waterfront.
St. Louis Gateway Arch Grounds Project | CityArchRiver 2015

Dallas has done this as well by capping a few blocks over a freeway between Downtown and Uptown Dallas.
Klyde Warren Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boston has landscaped the lid above I-93 Big Dig tunnels with the Rose Kennedy Greenway.
Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are any other cities doing this or perhaps in the discussion and planning phase of constructing lids parks over freeways to make neighborhoods once severed by freeways more cohesive? Any suggestions on cities and certain neighborhoods with freeways that could use a lid park?

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 07-16-2014 at 07:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 08:02 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,580,362 times
Seattle has a great cap by the convention center. Portland has been fantasizing about capping 405 forever, they will probably do it one day, but it will just be a dream until then.

Old 07-16-2014, 08:03 PM

14,157 posts, read 19,801,033 times
Wonder if this is possible for US 59/I-69 in Houston near Montrose?

Old 07-16-2014, 08:05 PM

28,441 posts, read 71,173,918 times
Sure hope they do everything correctly -- Big Dig Ceiling Collapse Lawsuits

Old 07-16-2014, 08:25 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,768,007 times
Might be cheaper to do this: https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Sho...dfdb30b8c042d5

You wouldn't even know you're crossing the freeway.

Old 07-17-2014, 12:33 AM

2,959 posts, read 3,828,322 times
Dear god how Seattle needs to cap the I-5 which tears a massive, loud trench right through the middle of Downtown Seattle. I don't think there's a single city in the US that is as devastated by a freeway as Downtown Seattle. It effectively cuts Downtown in half, devastating all blocks next to the freeway.

In the 1970's during its construction, residents protested the freeway as it effectively demolished more than 20 city blocks downtown as well as devastated the livability of all blocks adjacent to the freeway. Unfortunately, voters had already approved the freeway by vote something like a decade before the freeway was built, so there was nothing protesters could do once they realized what a terrible mistake it was to build the freeway abomination.

Today, the freeway is a nasty trench that is hyper loud, smelly, and ugly. Given Seattle's hilly topography, it is very feasible to just build an arched cap over the freeway which would create a long park with glorious views of downtown. Unfortunately, Seattle would rather throw billions of dollars away on a ridiculous tunnel nobody wanted that will likely never even be finished given that Bertha, the worlds largest drill, just broke down and is stalled underground. Seattle could've built a glorious freeway park or a city-wide monorail system with how much money they wasted on this boondoggle, stupid tunnel.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:37 AM

3,971 posts, read 3,507,178 times
Phoenix has one over I-10 between downtown and uptown. Along I-696 in the Detroit suburbs there are a couple in Oakland County.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:56 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,960,217 times
The debate in Philly now is expanding the caps over I-95 or getting rid of that portion of I-95 altogether.

http://planphilly.com/uploads/media_....752.362.c.jpg

Old 07-18-2014, 03:37 AM

601 posts, read 793,425 times
There have been talks for years about capping the Belk highway portion of I-277 in Charlotte. Personally, I'm for removing that portion of the interstate loop altogether. There's no reason for uptown to be strangled by highways in all directions. The Brookshire highway portion could still exist, and possibly even buried, and improvements to the I-77/277 interchange could help with the extra load from Belk. Also, with Belk gone, Little Sugar Creek could be expanded, to give Charlotte the waterfront it deserves, and uptown and SouthEnd could seamlessly merge together over time (along with Midtown to the southeast and NoDa/NorthEnd to the northeast).

Old 07-18-2014, 07:51 AM

12,456 posts, read 11,963,283 times
Pittsburgh is considering putting a small one right here. It's part of the planned redevelopment of the "Civic Arena" site just to the northeast. Now demolished, the arena here (which in recent years was used mostly for hockey games), originally obliterated one of the densest residential urban areas of the city (a majority-black neighborhood which was pretty similar to Boston's North End in terms of placement and density). The feeling is in order to properly redevelop the parking crater just outside of downtown better pedestrian access between Downtown and the Lower Hill is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or