U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 10:57 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,913,876 times

Advertisements

I have no factual evidence, I merely am expressing my thoughts. In my opinion, if you have a lot of vacant buildings and neighborhoods why not relocate the the remaining 10% to a more built out area. I don't claim to be a city planner nor do i want to be one. I just look at numbers and see crime. My solution and ideas may be radical, but I think it's better than leaving Stockton and Detroit the way they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 11:29 PM

2,488 posts, read 5,135,983 times
Closure of the naval base in Stockton has a lot to do with the current economic situation there.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:04 AM

4,196 posts, read 3,099,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
Maybe people don't want to live like transit dependent hamsters.
While true, that notion is completely lost on many people in this subforum, and in government.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:25 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,178,908 times
Demographics.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:01 AM

1,709 posts, read 1,680,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Demographics.
Care to elaborate?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:03 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,178,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Care to elaborate?
The influx of large numbers of Norweigian Lutherans...

Old 07-22-2014, 08:52 AM

8,328 posts, read 14,594,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I have no factual evidence, I merely am expressing my thoughts. In my opinion, if you have a lot of vacant buildings and neighborhoods why not relocate the the remaining 10% to a more built out area. I don't claim to be a city planner nor do i want to be one. I just look at numbers and see crime. My solution and ideas may be radical, but I think it's better than leaving Stockton and Detroit the way they are.
Where are the vacant neighborhoods in Los Angeles?

Your solutions aren't radical, they're actually pretty old-fashioned, and people stopped using them because they don't work.

What numbers are you looking at? Where are these numbers? Is it some vicious gang of integers with switchblades?

Old 07-22-2014, 10:01 AM

2,023 posts, read 1,531,710 times
As I understand it, the housing bubble caused property values to skyrocket, higher property taxes followed that.

With the increase in tax revenue, certain municipalities, notably Stockton, Maywood and Bell spent the money on local gov't salaries and pensions. When the recession came along and property values plummeted, these places were left with insufficient tax revenue to continue the obligations made earlier.

Anyone in SoCal knows about the scandal in Bell with the $700,000 salaries of some of the local politicians. And Maywood went out of business to the point of closing the doors at city hall.

These cities were incompetently managed.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:07 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,147,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Where are the vacant neighborhoods in Los Angeles?

Your solutions aren't radical, they're actually pretty old-fashioned, and people stopped using them because they don't work.

What numbers are you looking at? Where are these numbers? Is it some vicious gang of integers with switchblades?
That's what I was going to say.

If anything, Los Angeles suffers from the opposite problem of Detroit and the bubble-burst ghost towns. There is a massive shortage in affordable housing stock, making it quite overcrowded throughout the region. Los Angeles' solution is to build more and build up, not tear down vacant housing (which does not exist).

Old 07-22-2014, 11:48 AM

2,222 posts, read 1,673,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
That's what I was going to say.

If anything, Los Angeles suffers from the opposite problem of Detroit and the bubble-burst ghost towns. There is a massive shortage in affordable housing stock, making it quite overcrowded throughout the region. Los Angeles' solution is to build more and build up, not tear down vacant housing (which does not exist).
I agree !
Los Angeles is just about sprawled out as it can get leaving verticle integration to be the only solution to packing in more people who want to live here.

The attitude of build it and they will come is still being played out.

Right now, the only thing that might slow it down a bit would be a massive earthquake but that basically would just help with making a decision about if something needs to be torn down because vacant land doesn't sit very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or