U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2014, 09:12 PM
 
1,709 posts, read 1,679,028 times
Reputation: 1843

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Meh. I don't see how Overland Park, Prairie Village where I live, or any other suburb of Kansas City is RELIANT upon Kansas City, Missouri as the economic engine. In fact, not too many years ago downtown Kansas City, Missouri was basically a ghost town and the suburbs of Johnson County were thriving. It wasn't Johnson County's fault that no one wanted to live or work in downtown KC, or that businesses didn't want to be located there. Johnson County is STILL thriving, and it's not because of Kansas City, Missouri. Downtown KC is coming back now to some extent, but I don't see why any suburb has to pay homage to downtown Kansas City.

It's not the suburbs' job to prop up the city core. If the city core can't stand on its own two feet, then too bad.
Overland Park and all those other suburbs owe their existence to Kansas City. They would not have existed without Kansas City. KC as a city drew the businesses, it drew the residents, it created the Kansas City region. The suburbs only exist in their current state because of what the city was and is. The suburbs gained their wealth and prosperity as a continuation of the wealth and prosperity created by the community of Kansas City. The wealth was not created by the suburbs, they just took it and ran with it. Good for them if they took it far, but they cannot forsake the city that got them where they are in the first place. It's like a relay-the last one with the baton can't say they won the race on their own because they are the last one with the baton. It was a team effort, is a team effort, and they owe their victory not only to themselves but to those before them. A metro area is a team, and should work like one.

 
Old 08-03-2014, 10:10 PM
 
13,057 posts, read 15,423,957 times
Reputation: 15309
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Overland Park and all those other suburbs owe their existence to Kansas City. They would not have existed without Kansas City. KC as a city drew the businesses, it drew the residents, it created the Kansas City region. The suburbs only exist in their current state because of what the city was and is. The suburbs gained their wealth and prosperity as a continuation of the wealth and prosperity created by the community of Kansas City. The wealth was not created by the suburbs, they just took it and ran with it. Good for them if they took it far, but they cannot forsake the city that got them where they are in the first place. It's like a relay-the last one with the baton can't say they won the race on their own because they are the last one with the baton. It was a team effort, is a team effort, and they owe their victory not only to themselves but to those before them. A metro area is a team, and should work like one.
So the core was once the hub of activity/employment/residence and now it's not. That's not the fault of the suburbs. People moved from the core to the suburbs. Doesn't make the core special by any means. Kansas City actually started at Westport anyway, not downtown.
 
Old 08-03-2014, 10:12 PM
 
Location: Oceania
8,623 posts, read 6,266,004 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
As everyone knows, the 70-80 million boomers will reach geezerhood shortly. Many will lose thir driving ability. While most will be retired so getting to work not an issue, they still need to get around. Quite a few will try to age in place. Not all have children willing to drive them. Since many, if not most, live in suburbs devoid of anything walkable or local mass transit (though they may have commuter trains to center city). What will happen. Driving enthusiasts note: this could happen to you someday.
When we get too old we will quit driving. I know a 94 year old man who drives almost daily.
 
Old 08-04-2014, 06:20 AM
 
1,709 posts, read 1,679,028 times
Reputation: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
So the core was once the hub of activity/employment/residence and now it's not. That's not the fault of the suburbs. People moved from the core to the suburbs. Doesn't make the core special by any means. Kansas City actually started at Westport anyway, not downtown.
It's not the fault of the suburbs (not necessarily, anyway, though Kansas state subsidies for corporations have been known to give a helping hand), but they can't just go acting like they're self made. Again, they owe their existence in their current prosperous state to the city. Instead they act like they have nothing to do with the city, and refuse to work at a regional level with the city, which is absolutely absurd considering how they would be nothing without the urban core. They are in a region with the city, and thus need to work with the city, as when the core city benefits, all suburbs (contributing or not) benefit with it. It's about owing to the greater good of the region.

And where Kansas City started politically is wholly irrelevant to this discussion.
 
Old 08-04-2014, 06:55 AM
 
20,239 posts, read 11,216,518 times
Reputation: 20248
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
It's not the fault of the suburbs (not necessarily, anyway, though Kansas state subsidies for corporations have been known to give a helping hand), but they can't just go acting like they're self made. Again, they owe their existence in their current prosperous state to the city. Instead they act like they have nothing to do with the city, and refuse to work at a regional level with the city, which is absolutely absurd considering how they would be nothing without the urban core. They are in a region with the city, and thus need to work with the city, as when the core city benefits, all suburbs (contributing or not) benefit with it. It's about owing to the greater good of the region.

Up to the point it becomes detrimental to them. No politician is going to say, "We'll take a hit for the team." That isn't even done at the state and federal levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top