Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:07 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,139,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
As everyone knows, the 70-80 million boomers will reach geezerhood shortly. Many will lose thir driving ability. While most will be retired so getting to work not an issue, they still need to get around. Quite a few will try to age in place. Not all have children willing to drive them. Since many, if not most, live in suburbs devoid of anything walkable or local mass transit (though they may have commuter trains to center city). What will happen. Driving enthusiasts note: this could happen to you someday.
If they are too feeble to drive, they most CERTAINLY would be too feeble to walk or take mass transit.

My dad had 80 acres up till 5 years before he died, and drove himself to the ER the day before he died. My mom had trouble getting around for 5 years or so before she died. She could drive if she had to, but no way she would have been able to walk to a bus or train stop, board a bus or train, ride, and get off and walk to her destination. She was too unsteady on her feet. So public transportation isn't the answer here unless you are talking about someone to pick them up, help them board take them to their destination, and help them get off.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
. My parents are in their early-to-mid 60s, living in a 3000 sq ft house in the suburbs by themselves, and I worry..
Oh, please. Your parents are not even old. I feel like younger people like you are trying to act like people in their 50s and 60s already have one foot in the grave. They don't. I'm sure your parents are still quite capable of managing their affairs and if they want to live in a 3000 sq ft home the suburbs, it's none of your business!

As I just said above, my dad was 82 when he died and he drove himself to the ER the day before he died, and owned 80 acres till he was in his late 70s.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:16 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,965,878 times
It's reasonable to assume that Boomers will have similar arrangements as the current crop of senior citizens who are too old to drive; the outline of their driving habits shouldn't be too different, so the only major change will be greater numbers of them. If there's any shift in driving habits chances are it would be across the age spectrum, not confined to Boomers.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:22 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,445,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Oh, please. Your parents are not even old. I feel like younger people like you are trying to act like people in their 50s and 60s already have one foot in the grave. They don't. I'm sure your parents are still quite capable of managing their affairs and if they want to live in a 3000 sq ft home the suburbs, it's none of your business!

As I just said above, my dad was 82 when he died and he drove himself to the ER the day before he died, and owned 80 acres till he was in his late 70s.
I've learned my lesson trying to debate with you in the Kansas City forum, so I'll say my peace and call it good, especially since you are addressing my opinion of my own parents. I doubt you'll consider my perspective, since you never do. But here goes..

I'm not saying they've got one foot in the grave. But I happen to know (because they're MY parents) that they will be retiring within the next five years, and aren't going to want to keep paying to maintain 3 times as much space as they need, on a fixed income. I'm sure their health will be fine for many years, so that's not the issue.

And yes, they're free to make their own decisions. But as the eldest child, I take responsibility for at least engaging them in discussion, and presenting the facts as best I can. How can you claim it's none of my business? Perhaps you mean that it's none of your business!

Old 07-29-2014, 01:49 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,244,119 times
Quote:
I've learned my lesson trying to debate with you in the Kansas City forum, so I'll say my peace and call it good, especially since you are addressing my opinion of my own parents. I doubt you'll consider my perspective, since you never do. But here goes..

I'm not saying they've got one foot in the grave. But I happen to know (because they're MY parents) that they will be retiring within the next five years, and aren't going to want to keep paying to maintain 3 times as much space as they need, on a fixed income. I'm sure their health will be fine for many years, so that's not the issue.

And yes, they're free to make their own decisions. But as the eldest child, I take responsibility for at least engaging them in discussion, and presenting the facts as best I can. How can you claim it's none of my business? Perhaps you mean that it's none of your business!
You know for a fact they don't want to stay in the house? In that case, what are you concerned about?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:

This makes me laugh. They aren't at the age that you should be engaging them in discussions like this. And that comment proves that you do think they on the verge of not being able to make their own decisions and care for themselves. It's no more of your concern than where you live is their concern.

And the phrase is "say my piece," not "say my peace."

What you post on a public forum is everyone's business.

I would think your parents would agree more with my thinking than yours.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:01 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,576,617 times
I lived in 2 big retiree areas. They drive till they drop, that's what happens. As a nurse, I've seen them drive around when they shouldn't. We have one where I work now, they had to distract her from going out and to her car. I remember a woman in Florida who had a good case of dementia and she'd go joy riding across the intercostal bridge. The aide got her keys, I mean she was very senile, we had to get the Social worker declare her incompetent and got her keys away from her permanently, but it usually doesn't happen that way, trust me they drive till they can't stand anymore. Sometimes a sitter or aide can do the grocery shopping and errand running if the elder has some money to pay them, or family, a friend, etc.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,579,169 times
1) The reason people admire the construction techniques of old houses is that the crap that was built back then has long since been bulldozed or burned down. Even the good places have required major renovations, to the point that except for the building envelope they have been completely rebuilt.

2) For me, "Living on a fixed income," means my wife and I both draw social security and pensions, with regular COLAS. The mortgage has been long since paid off. Without lifting a finger, we collect $75k a year, and that's not counting investment earnings. Our income is going to take a jump soon, because we will have to start taking minimum distributions from our tax sheltered accounts.

3) Just accept that the old folks are smarter and more experienced than the next two generations put together. Worry about yourselves, not us.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:52 PM

5,496 posts, read 9,440,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
1) The reason people admire the construction techniques of old houses is that the crap that was built back then has long since been bulldozed or burned down. Even the good places have required major renovations, to the point that except for the building envelope they have been completely rebuilt.
Your experience with old houses is a lot different than mine. But, as I started to realize in the thread I linked to above, a lot of this is regional. The older houses in a region that was well established and wealthier at the time, had better quality construction and materials. The older houses in a region that was closer to the frontier (less established) or poorer, had lower quality construction and materials, in general.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:54 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,445,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know for a fact they don't want to stay in the house? In that case, what are you concerned about?
Let's accept that there are going to be no certainties here. So no, I don't know anything for a "fact". I just know that eventually it will be too much house for them. And I believe (note the difference) that the longer they wait, the more they risk getting hosed on the sale price.

Since my parents are far from senile, we are blessed with a fairly even-handed relationship. I hope they do care about where I live, and I hope they want me to care about where they live too. If they have reason to believe that I should re-consider my choice of housing, I hope they tell me. And I hope they listen if I tell them.

The reason I believe they should listen to me on this subject is that I'm talking to them about my generation (as well as the one that's just a couple years behind me. I'm at the tail end of Gen X.) My parents, as well as many baby boomers, seem to be a little under-informed about the value differences between their generation and ours, or else they assume that, if there's something we do that doesn't make sense to them, we'll just "grow out of it."

My relationship with my parents is one marked by respect. This is a fact that I would not expect strangers on a forum to be aware of, which is why I'm telling you now. This means that I will share with them what I know, and what I believe, and then respect them enough to make that decision without any further pestering from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning