Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:47 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Montanamama:

The Millenial Generation is larger than the Baby Boomers. They're called the Baby Boom Echo for a reason.

The Echo Boom Or Millenial Generation Impact.
Thanks for the link; I hadn't heard them called that.

In this case, the linked articles from the beginning of this thread both rely on, essentially, the idea that the next wave of homebuyers won't want larger, suburban homes because....they aren't cool?

Am I missing something?

I am not a newbie to real estate/markets. I can buy that IF most Boomers choose to downsize (which is not a given) and/or WHEN most Boomers die and their houses are sold, that there will be a plentiful supply of "move-up" level larger suburban houses, which would likely soften prices. In some areas.

A crash the likes of 2008?

Because hipsters want to live in cool urban neighborhoods?

This is silly.

Last edited by Montanama; 07-31-2014 at 10:28 AM..

Old 07-31-2014, 11:41 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
What a terrifying thought. The baby boom generation has a history of selfishness, so my guess is that a lot of them will refuse to relinquish their keys and drive anyway. I bet they use their numbers and financial influence to change the laws to protect their "driving rights". In ten years the roads will be packed full of elderly boomers who cant see, forget where they are and mix up the gas and break peddles. No mailbox will be safe, pedestrians will have to run from their lives and our highways will be like a demolition derby. Look at the parts of Florida which are clogged with retirees in the winter, their roads are horrible to drive on because of this, that is what all of America will look like. The "greatest generation" had more of a sense of civic duty, most of them understood that old age made driving unsafe. The boomers are a whole different animal, they are and always have been out for themselves.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:48 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
What a terrifying thought. The baby boom generation has a history of selfishness, so my guess is that a lot of them will refuse to relinquish their keys and drive anyway. I bet they use their numbers and financial influence to change the laws to protect their "driving rights". In ten years the roads will be packed full of elderly boomers who cant see, forget where they are and mix up the gas and break peddles. No mailbox will be safe, pedestrians will have to run from their lives and our highways will be like a demolition derby. Look at the parts of Florida which are clogged with retirees in the winter, their roads are horrible to drive on because of this, that is what all of America will look like. The "greatest generation" had more of a sense of civic duty, most of them understood that old age made driving unsafe. The boomers are a whole different animal, they are and always have been out for themselves.
You contradicted yourself. You said:

Quote:
The "greatest generation" had more of a sense of civic duty, most of them
understood that old age made driving unsafe.
But you had already said:

Quote:
Look at the parts of Florida which are clogged with retirees in the
winter, their roads are horrible to drive on because of this, that is what all
of America will look like.
It doesn't look like the Greatest Generation has been any better than one can expect of any other.

More likely, as I have said, we Boomers will demand that automation keep us on the road longer.

Preferrably, there will be a device that will notice if we have hade a heart attack and steer the car right to the nearest emergency room.

And if we have Alzheimer's, the car should know where we intended to go and just go there.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:51 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
most old people are still driving past the point of being able to walk very far. My brother delivered food to older shut-ins in Philly. They're everywhere. Obviously being in the car-dependent suburbs becomes more of a problem sooner for more people and it makes it more difficult to deliver services to those people . . . just saying that living in a walkable place doesn't automatically solve the problem.

So anyway, most will just keep driving until they can't anymore. Those with money will move to small towns or cities. For everyone else there is assisted living facilities, moving in with kids, or depending on things like meals on wheels.

The real problem comes when they start moving or dying. What happens to all of their houses?
The Baby Boomer Housing Bust - Forbes
I guess my generation (Millennials) will actually be able to buy houses without going in debt to our eyeballs!

Old 07-31-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

It doesn't look like the Greatest Generation has been any better than one can expect of any other.

More likely, as I have said, we Boomers will demand that automation keep us on the road longer.

Preferrably, there will be a device that will notice if we have hade a heart attack and steer the car right to the nearest emergency room.

And if we have Alzheimer's, the car should know where we intended to go and just go there.

No I did not contradict myself, those retirees in Florida are not of the "greatest generation", as most of them have already passed on. Todays Florida retirees are those just a few years older than the boomers. We are talking about people born in the 30s and 40s that are not quite boomers, but certainly not the "greatest generation". They are the ones who were teens in the 50s, sock hops, poodle skirts etc. Also a lot of the Florida retirees are in fact the first wave of baby boomers, those in their late 60s. Think of WW2 vets, the are of the "greatest generation" and as we all know they are hard to find these days. Most of them have gone to the Lord.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

Why has the boomer generation always resented the "greatest generation"? Anytime someone says something positive about them, boomers chime in about their flaws or shortcomings. It was that generations time tested values that the boomer rebellion (60s and 70s) was so focused on. Even after the boomers won that battle (by changing America beyond recognition), the boomers still feel threatened by the greatest generations acomplishments and contributions. The greatest generation won the world war, created the wealth that we still today take advantage of, and they attempted to preserve traditional values in the face of 60s insanity. That older generation loved America and was concerned with the country as a whole, not just individual goals. The difference is clear even in this post. Boomers want to have it their way right to the end, they want self driving cars created for their old age, REALLY? I do not want to drive on roads with driverless cars, no way that is safe and it never will be. A human needs to be in control of their vehicle. If that means millions of boomers have to go live in a facility and rely on others for help in their old age then then that is what it means. What makes the boomer think he is so special??? every other generation has faced this reality, the boomers will too. My generation (generation X) is right behind the boomers, we are now middle aged and in 20 years we will also begin face aging issues. Twenty years is not that long, but aging is something we all must face. I truly hope I can face it with dignity when it comes.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
No I did not contradict myself, those retirees in Florida are not of the "greatest generation", as most of them have already passed on. Todays Florida retirees are those just a few years older than the boomers. We are talking about people born in the 30s and 40s that are not quite boomers, but certainly not the "greatest generation". They are the ones who were teens in the 50s, sock hops, poodle skirts etc. Also a lot of the Florida retirees are in fact the first wave of baby boomers, those in their late 60s. Think of WW2 vets, the are of the "greatest generation" and as we all know they are hard to find these days. Most of them have gone to the Lord.
The term you're looking for here is the Silent Generation.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The term you're looking for here is the Silent Generation.

Thank you, I could not remember what they were called. I should remember, it is my parents generation.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:51 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Why has the boomer generation always resented the "greatest generation"? Anytime someone says something positive about them, boomers chime in about their flaws or shortcomings.................
For your question:

Because the Boomers get blamed by the Millennials for actions the Greatest Generation did. Things like expansion of Social Security past what it was originally intended to do. The creation of Medicare. The offshoring of jobs. Those are just a few and all done, or started, before the Baby Boomers could even vote. You can include the gutting of pension plans beginning in the 1970s.

You haven't seen Baby Boomers protest against means testing of Social Security (yet), that was the Greatest Generation in the 1980s. Nor have we, yet, demanded artificial joints be developed. You can guess who demanded that.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:28 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Why has the boomer generation always resented the "greatest generation"? Anytime someone says something positive about them, boomers chime in about their flaws or shortcomings.
No, I just pointed out the self-contradiction of the earlier poster.

I don't have anything against my parents' generation. Oh, sure, when I was 21 I thought they were pretty dumb, but by the time I was 28, I was amazed at how much they had learned in seven years (with a tip of the hat to Mark Twain).

Quote:
Boomers want to have it their way right to the end, they want self driving cars created for their old age, REALLY? I do not want to drive on roads with driverless cars, no way that is safe and it never will be. A human needs to be in control of their vehicle.
It was the Greatest Generation that began the research into driverless vehicles. Ever hear of the SR-71 spy plane? It's computer controlled during the most critical part of its mission. That was invented in the early 60s. Military innovation usually eventually gets civilianized.

I personally criticize us Boomers very harshly because we haven't done anything worthwhile that our parents hadn't already started...including driverless vehicles that I was reading about in Popular Science in the 60s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning