U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 05:50 PM

2,824 posts, read 3,347,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You should probably look into taking an Intro to Urban Planning class, that would help with any confusing you seem to be having with urban planning.

I think you are confusing what urban planning is with urban lifestyle which isn't the same thing.
I think others are confusing the issue of what should be considered part of urban planning. The promoters of urbanism and urban planning kinda miss the obvious.

The reason to mention "lifestyle" was because that's what this thread was supposedly about - and it's in the "urban planning" forum. If you don't think functions such as school or education are relevant to either urban planning or urban lifestyle and focus only on "retail" "restaurant", and "office work" related buildings, and an apparent dislike for cars and parking lots, it just exposes the disconnect between the "urban planners" and reality.

I read the urban planning sticky and note the following:
schools fall into the zoning and land-use planning category
the lack of decent schools are (as argued by some) a contributor to urban decay
Transient density is certainly an issue for schools
transportation (public transit? transit-oriented development) is certainly an important issue for schools
Urban design (i.e., where you place the school) should be addressed
Schools certainly impact socio-economic and environmental issues regardless of whether there is a city there or not.

Seems to me schools hit many of the categories expressly deemed "on topic" for urban planning.
Too many "urban planners" are limited to arguing about what the house must look like while forgetting the purpose of the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:28 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Well, yes I do think schools are on topic for the forum for the reasons mentioned. Just not necessarily will be the main focus of the forum.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:50 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
I think others are confusing the issue of what should be considered part of urban planning. The promoters of urbanism and urban planning kinda miss the obvious.

The reason to mention "lifestyle" was because that's what this thread was supposedly about - and it's in the "urban planning" forum. If you don't think functions such as school or education are relevant to either urban planning or urban lifestyle and focus only on "retail" "restaurant", and "office work" related buildings, and an apparent dislike for cars and parking lots, it just exposes the disconnect between the "urban planners" and reality.

I read the urban planning sticky and note the following:
schools fall into the zoning and land-use planning category
the lack of decent schools are (as argued by some) a contributor to urban decay
Transient density is certainly an issue for schools
transportation (public transit? transit-oriented development) is certainly an important issue for schools
Urban design (i.e., where you place the school) should be addressed
Schools certainly impact socio-economic and environmental issues regardless of whether there is a city there or not.

Seems to me schools hit many of the categories expressly deemed "on topic" for urban planning.
Too many "urban planners" are limited to arguing about what the house must look like while forgetting the purpose of the house.
Then by all means, make a thread about schools in regarding urban planning. I am sure it will generate plenty of activity.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:58 PM

5,076 posts, read 8,501,505 times
Quote:
One must to wonder what "urban planning" is other than code for a density worshipping cult. Is it any wonder the reputation is that this is about a utopia for a minority group of mostly single and childless lotus-eating, condo-dwelling hipsters?
You're living in an alternate universe.

The area I live in is mostly urban single family homes, but yes, we have an abundance of apartment dwelling hipsters not far away, and there are plenty of families with children - statistically as many births here as in the 'family friendly' suburbs. The elementary schools are full and test in the top 10% ratings wise. We picked the area to start a family and now have a baby on the way, as do a lot of other people living here.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
You're living in an alternate universe.

The area I live in is mostly urban single family homes, but yes, we have an abundance of apartment dwelling hipsters not far away, and there are plenty of families with children - statistically as many births here as in the 'family friendly' suburbs. The elementary schools are full and test in the top 10% ratings wise. We picked the area to start a family and now have a baby on the way, as do a lot of other people living here.
What does your post have to do with "urban planning"? I was rebutting someone else's claim that schools didn't belong in "urban planning". Perhaps your post was intended for someone else. May your offspring overcome the deficiencies of his parents.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:19 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
I'd say most urban areas are either largely in decline or too costly in good areas for medium income people. The trend I see since boomers are retiring is movement to small towns with little industrialization. Its said to be a trend increasing for the next thirteen years and involves 26% of population. That increases younger workers moving to provide services needed.Many former small towns that where dying are booming these days already from the trend.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:36 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I'd say most urban areas are either largely in decline or too costly in good areas for medium income people. The trend I see since boomers are retiring is movement to small towns with little industrialization. Its said to be a trend increasing for the next thirteen years and involves 26% of population. That increases younger workers moving to provide services needed.Many former small towns that where dying are booming these days already from the trend.
Which former small towns are you referring to?

Old 08-21-2014, 10:27 PM

5,076 posts, read 8,501,505 times
Quote:
What does your post have to do with "urban planning"? I was rebutting someone else's claim that schools didn't belong in "urban planning". Perhaps your post was intended for someone else. May your offspring overcome the deficiencies of his parents.
Wow, you didn't even understand your own post... It was quoted even. Just wow.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Wow, you didn't even understand your own post... It was quoted even. Just wow.
and your response was a complete non sequitur which brings us back to what did that prior post and now your most recent post have to do with urban planning? Answer: nothing, you're just trolling.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:34 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
Yes, absolutely, schools have a lot to do with urban settlement patterns.

So are there any cities where the planners can communicate with the school board effectively and have any influence? Maybe we should look for good examples to follow instead of pretending the problem of poor urban schools doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or