U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 07:09 AM

14,057 posts, read 16,066,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Yes, absolutely, schools have a lot to do with urban settlement patterns.

So are there any cities where the planners can communicate with the school board effectively and have any influence? Maybe we should look for good examples to follow instead of pretending the problem of poor urban schools doesn't exist.
Yeah, completely weird.

I mean, they're very directly related. School location and demographic (number of children) is huge. Performance of the schools isn't maybe primarily urban planning. A corollary to that is that transit performance (on-time performance, cleanliness, etc) don't belong in urban planning. Primarily, that's the realm of transportation planning/engineering. Urban planning would just involve the location of transit stops and how those fit in with the neighborhood. In either case, the day-to-day operations of the transit and schools do not generally fall into the umbrella of urban planning. We seem to talk about transit here a lot, however, even though it doesn't belong in urban planning anymore than schools do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 07:15 AM

13 posts, read 11,599 times
I am thoroughly confused by what some here deem as Urban Planning and not Urban Planning. I just received a Master's degree in Urban Planning and the concentrations at the University of Illinois at Chicago are Globalization and International Planning, Community Development (where education is a subcategory that includes location and performance enhancement strategies), Economic Development, Spatial Planning and Design, Transportation, and Environmental Planning and Policy.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:27 AM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma X View Post
I am thoroughly confused by what some here deem as Urban Planning and not Urban Planning. I just received a Master's degree in Urban Planning and the concentrations at the University of Illinois at Chicago are Globalization and International Planning, Community Development (where education is a subcategory that includes location and performance enhancement strategies), Economic Development, Spatial Planning and Design, Transportation, and Environmental Planning and Policy.
Well, that is good to hear. I recall an article in some urban planning magazine where an actual urban planner, you know, the kind who get paid to do that stuff, said he never gave more than a passing thought to schools until his own kid(s) went to school. I'm glad it's different now.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:36 AM

4,893 posts, read 7,653,336 times
While I agree that school performance is relevant in this forum, (and I join others in encouraging those who want to talk about such things, to start their own threads) it seems to me that urban planners are able to affect school performance about as much as architects, which is to say almost not at all.

I haven't seen any threads about school performance in the architecture forum, but I also haven't seen any complaints that there aren't any threads relating to school performance in the architecture forum.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:52 AM

I think nobody talks about schools in an archictecture forum because it is not an architecture topic. Education is an urban planning topic, as evidenced by the some of the courses I took. At least that is what I was told. I get that this urban planning topic may not be relevant to this thread, which is a totally different issue.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my pennies on what UIC considers urban planning and what we are being taught currently at some universities (which is inclusive of all planning, not just urban [an umbrella term] or the physical environment). I am definitely not trying to stir anyone's pot.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Well, good to hear from someone who has professional knowledge. Thanks for chiming in.

This forum seems to be as much of a "urban discussion" forum as a "urban planning" forum.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:08 AM

18,636 posts, read 23,224,516 times
I don't think that anyone is "trying to force an urban lifestyle". I do think that many of today's college graduates seem to prefer an urban lifestyle to a suburban one. Second to an "urban lifestyle", it appears that a smaller portion of millennials are seeking intentionally rural lifestyles involving mountains and tiny houses, in places such as Colorado, Vermont and New Hampshire.

But mostly, on this forum, and in my own experience, the buzz words seem to be "walkable", "diversity", "culture" and "ethnic restaurants".

Good schools are not always an immediate priority because many of these folks are delaying childbirth. They will want them at some time, though.

Aside from the tiny house mountain and woods crowd, they seem to yearn for homes with history over newer construction. Rehabbing a Chicago bungalow or a Philadelphia row house, for example.

"Up and coming" also appears to be a buzz phrase, and rust belt cities and their potential for converted industrial buildings into loft style homes, is also attractive to this generation.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:09 AM

4,893 posts, read 7,653,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma X View Post
I think nobody talks about schools in an archictecture forum because it is not an architecture topic.
I disagree. Both architects and urban planners have a direct influence on students' environment. I could even argue that it's more of a topic for architects, because we are designing the environment in which students learn.

Quote:
Education is an urban planning topic, as evidenced by the some of the courses I took. At least that is what I was told. I get that this urban planning topic may not be relevant to this thread, which is a totally different issue.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my pennies on what UIC considers urban planning and what we are being taught currently at some universities (which is inclusive of all planning, not just urban [an umbrella term] or the physical environment). I am definitely not trying to stir anyone's pot.
Can you elaborate on that? I understand that the performance of schools can affect urban planning, but how can urban planning affect the performance of schools?

Maybe we should start a new thread?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:19 AM

If someone starts a thread, I will elaborate when I get a chance. I am currently at work. But education is part of community develpment which has always been a topic of Urban Planning going back to when universities started giving degrees in the subject.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:51 PM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Thanks, EnigmaX. I too am at work right now. I'll start a thread this evening when I can access my regular computer. It's hard to do on the phone and I only have time at lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or