U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 11:17 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,005,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
If people are assuming that by "resemblance to New York" I mean "throngs of people and massive skyscrapers" they're taking what I say far too literally.
True.

But, maybe that's what all references to New York-ification have come to mean to the public, just as density has become a "bad" word. If so, we need a better example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 11:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times
Quote:
If people are assuming that by "resemblance to New York" I mean "throngs of people and massive skyscrapers" they're taking what I say far too literally.
Well, if you meant something else: pedestrian-friendly with the types of amnetities / shops / events frequenty found in big cities, there's a number of other cities that could be used rather the most extreme example, choosing NYC sounds like you're focusing on it on purpose.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:10 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Maybe you could tell us what you meant, then.

There's no comparison between Madison and NYC. Madison has an MSA population of about 550,000. It's a university and government city, with a smattering of health care. It's not even the biggest city in Wisconsin. That would be Milwaukee, which is an old city, and probably has more resemblance to NYC than Madison does.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:36 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,563,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well, if you meant something else: pedestrian-friendly with the types of amnetities / shops / events frequenty found in big cities, there's a number of other cities that could be used rather the most extreme example, choosing NYC sounds like you're focusing on it on purpose.
Saying "Madison is looking more like Denver" doesn't illustrate the point particularly well. Those who choose to misinterpret will simply misinterpret another way if I used that example.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:02 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,525,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Why does Forbes pay Joel Kotkin to write the same article over and over again?
Because it plays into their narrative. But at the end of the day, Portland, a city that Kotkin truly dislikes, will be among the 2014-2016 leaders for 25-34 domestic in-migration.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:39 PM

14,062 posts, read 16,081,530 times
Welcome to Ecotopia | Joel Kotkin
Quote:
Of course, would-be Ecotopians have much of which to be proud. The three great cities of the region--San Francisco, Portland and Seattle--easily rank among the most attractive on the continent. They all boast higher-than-average levels of education and--at least around San Francisco and Seattle--some of the world's deepest concentrations of high-tech companies.
Doesn't really sound like it.

Portland has some problems. The local population (mostly black) was completely displaced during gentrification and now mostly lives pretty for outside of central Portland in the area with not so great transit, the same area that Portland has cut transit to so it can run the toy trains in the gentrified neighborhoods the black population in Portland used to live in. That and Portland's streets are in pretty deplorable condition since it has almost no budget for road maintenance. Again, it's not like there ISN'T any money or even any driver-generated money. Portland collects several times the amount it spends on road maintenance in parking fees/taxes, but all of that is used to subsidize transit.

I actually like a lot of what Portland has done as well as Kotkin. It's one of the better run and planned cities.

Last edited by Malloric; 08-18-2014 at 05:03 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 08:11 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,635,848 times
When I saw the cities - and they mention it in the article - this list is clearly influenced by cities with significant Hispanic populations. The number of millennials in these cities isn't increasing because millennials are gravitating there, it's because the population of Hispanics in each age group are growing as the large numbers that have both immigrated and been born here in the last 2-3 decades are aging. If a city has public schools that are growing rapidly it only makes sense that in just a few years they will see a growth in the number of 20-somethings.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,492,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
When I saw the cities - and they mention it in the article - this list is clearly influenced by cities with significant Hispanic populations. The number of millennials in these cities isn't increasing because millennials are gravitating there, it's because the population of Hispanics in each age group are growing as the large numbers that have both immigrated and been born here in the last 2-3 decades are aging. If a city has public schools that are growing rapidly it only makes sense that in just a few years they will see a growth in the number of 20-somethings.
So Hispanics in their 20's aren't millennials? Mexicans don't count? There a couple cities on that list that don't scream "Hispanic migration draw" what's their excuse?

Old 08-19-2014, 08:47 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,525,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Welcome to Ecotopia | Joel Kotkin

Doesn't really sound like it.

Portland has some problems. The local population (mostly black) was completely displaced during gentrification and now mostly lives pretty for outside of central Portland in the area with not so great transit, the same area that Portland has cut transit to so it can run the toy trains in the gentrified neighborhoods the black population in Portland used to live in. That and Portland's streets are in pretty deplorable condition since it has almost no budget for road maintenance. Again, it's not like there ISN'T any money or even any driver-generated money. Portland collects several times the amount it spends on road maintenance in parking fees/taxes, but all of that is used to subsidize transit.

I actually like a lot of what Portland has done as well as Kotkin. It's one of the better run and planned cities.
One of Kotkin's recent articles was headlined "The Uselessness Of Portland, Oregon" so I stand by my statement that he truly dislikes Portland.

I agree that Portland has some problems. As far as I'm concerned, the Portland Streetcar was a waste of money. Tri-Met has promised to increase routes and service, and I'm guessing that most of the increase will go to beef up areas the displaced population moved to.

The roads could use some improvement but Mayor Hailes and Councilperson Novick are less inclined to just use the money on roads as they are to spend it on bike paths and sidewalks. In fact, the nimrods got a whole bunch of fed money to fix up roads that they're actually using that to reduce SE Foster between 50th and 84th or something. It's an effort to develop another gentrified neighborhood.

I will agree with Kotkin on one thing. Current city leaders seem perfectly willing to service the poor right up to the point where they drive them all to Gresham.

Last edited by SyraBrian; 08-19-2014 at 09:01 AM..

Old 08-19-2014, 09:56 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Now that is hyperbole of the first order. Downtown Madison is NEVER going to resemble downtown NYC, ever. Part of NYC's "persona" is because of the large population. I remember one time, years, yea, decades ago when my ex-husband went on a business trip to NYC. We were living in Wilmington, DE at the time, a city with a pretty urban form itself. He said NYC made d/t Wilmington look like the outback. He was from Chicago, BTW.
Again with your absolutes, the person was talking about Madison becoming more urban friendly with foot traffic and busier with more people living downtown. That is what the ish part means. There will be only one NYC, bit many cities are going to become much more active as younger generations seek out a more urban lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning