U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 06:56 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,623,515 times

Advertisements

Millenials are generally those born from 1980-2000. And I figure Joel Kotkin fans follow the "one-drop" rule when it comes to calculating nonwhite neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,293,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Millenials are generally those born from 1980-2000. And I figure Joel Kotkin fans follow the "one-drop" rule when it comes to calculating nonwhite neighborhoods.
The census counts multiracial "two or more" separately. White (alone) nonhispanics are still the majority of those born 1990-2000 as from my link, though a slim majority.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:19 PM

14,119 posts, read 16,213,700 times
Quote:
So because you don't like facts you resort to ad hominem retorts about how Joel Kotkin "fans" are racists. There's a lot of posters I would expect that infantile behavior from but it does actually surprise me coming from you. Perhaps they really are and I should let them speak for themselves, but ad hominem fallacies irk me.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:38 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,623,515 times
Maybe it's just my California perspective as opposed to that found in more melanin-deficient states. And no, I wouldn't say Kotkin fans are Klansmen or anything, just "not racist" (as in, "I'm not racist, but [says racist thing]") and probably not too happy about the number of nonwhites moving into their suburb.

Old 08-24-2014, 09:19 PM

260 posts, read 330,350 times
Quote:
Maybe it's just my California perspective as opposed to that found in more melanin-deficient states. And no, I wouldn't say Kotkin fans are Klansmen or anything, just "not racist" (as in, "I'm not racist, but [says racist thing]") and probably not too happy about the number of nonwhites moving into their suburb.
I doubt Kotkin is racist. He's very pro-immigration.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:39 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,207,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blainnyc View Post
I doubt Kotkin is racist. He's very pro-immigration.
..and a Democrat. (I find this a little puzzling since JK has some pretty conservative views, but if he says he's a Democrat, he is one.)

Old 09-01-2014, 01:31 PM

1,280 posts, read 741,301 times
Thank you for this article and list. Now I know what cities to avoid so I can stay away from elite hipsters. The more hipsters and elites hate something, the more I love it.

I'm a Millennial and prefer small towns and rural areas. Sorry, not sorry.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:55 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,708,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Thank you for this article and list. Now I know what cities to avoid so I can stay away from elite hipsters. The more hipsters and elites hate something, the more I love it.

I'm a Millennial and prefer small towns and rural areas. Sorry, not sorry.
Well not everyone likes the same thing, it is good that you prefer small towns and rural areas.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:19 PM

28,395 posts, read 26,442,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
When I read the article, from a marketing point of view, I took it that the author was saying that our narrative of millenials tends to be only about a sub-segment of millenials. The main point of the article, to me, was that we need to think broader about what millenials are doing and what their lives are like. I thought that was his point and he showed specific examples to back up that hypothesis.
The largest employer of millennials is the United States Military. The second largest employer is Walmart.

Have the residential preferences of young people really changed that much in the past 50 years?

Old 09-03-2014, 04:29 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,412,679 times
A few of my local millennial cohorts live in these "cool" walkable neighborhoods, but most do not. In fact a bunch are now married, perhaps on their first or second child. The things that appealed to them when they were right out of college (21-23) no longer hold much sway now that they are settling down. Suburban or rural living appeals to them most, as they could not imagine raising kids in a city apartment (as opposed to a suburban townhome or exurban farm house). Almost all own a car but bicycling, weather-permitting, has greatly increased in popularity.

I think people tend to get their idea of millenials from TV shows like Girls, but most of us are neither that degenerate nor sophisticated nor urbane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning