U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:32 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,674,215 times

Advertisements

As far as I know my history, land used to be developed individually, and homes were built by the owner. Nowadays, land is commonly bought by a developer, constructed on as a larger unit, and then subdivided and sold among new owners. The latter method, called "tract housing," was not the primary method of home construction in the US until recently when the concept of the suburban subdivision appeared. So my question is-what is it that led to the birth of tract housing? Why is tract housing and subdivided development the primary method of growth in today's methods of urban planning, rather than the sale of individual plots? I don't understand what caused the change and why homebuilding is the way it is today, could someone please fill me in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 01:39 PM

6,549 posts, read 7,970,518 times
I'm not an expert but my general knowledge tells me that after WWll there was a need for lots of housing due to the armed forces returning plus it being the end rationing which made home building possible. New technologies and new materials were generated during wartime making homes more affordable. Someone came up with the idea of semi-mass production, and that was easiest done on one plot of land subdivided into homesites. Read about Levittown in NY and in PA. Some of the new materials were the drywall and some types of insulation, I think. Previously builders had to use lath and plaster or wood paneling for interior walls. Standard size windows was a big help too.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:52 PM

7,442 posts, read 9,878,709 times
There was plenty of cookie-cutter housing before the war. Look no further than NYC Brownstones. The Post-WWII area simply resulted in (a) a general spike in homebuilding, and (b) that production skewed much more toward the detached, single-family variety than before.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:57 PM

14,061 posts, read 16,074,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
As far as I know my history, land used to be developed individually, and homes were built by the owner. Nowadays, land is commonly bought by a developer, constructed on as a larger unit, and then subdivided and sold among new owners. The latter method, called "tract housing," was not the primary method of home construction in the US until recently when the concept of the suburban subdivision appeared. So my question is-what is it that led to the birth of tract housing? Why is tract housing and subdivided development the primary method of growth in today's methods of urban planning, rather than the sale of individual plots? I don't understand what caused the change and why homebuilding is the way it is today, could someone please fill me in?
Suburban neighborhoods predate tract housing.

Take a neighborhood I mentioned not long ago, Park Slope. Bought by a guy who then turned it into a subdivision and sold the individual lots off to people. Yup. Park Slope is a subdivision. Of course, back then they generally sold as lots without a house on them. Nowadays they just skip that step. Home buyers aren't as sophisticated as they were then nor as wealthy, so they don't always have the wherewithal or financial means of overseeing or employing an agent to oversee the construction. Of course, you still do so custom homes today.

If you'd ever seen the process that custom homes go through, you'd understand. It's a lot of headache. Delays, setbacks, endless amounts of choices. No doubt some people find it worth it, but it's a lot of hassle and expense.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:07 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,265,560 times
The invention of the Model T. Like fast food, everything has since become mass-produced with the factory assembly line method. Including housing.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:02 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,858,066 times
Even in neighborhoods built before WWII you can find houses that are identical or share an lot of elements in the same neighborhood built at the same time.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Take a neighborhood I mentioned not long ago, Park Slope. Bought by a guy who then turned it into a subdivision and sold the individual lots off to people
Or another NYC neighborhood: Ridgewood Queens:

RIDGEWOOD, Queens | | Forgotten New YorkForgotten New York

Many mass produced homes. Scroll down to "housing boom"

As mentioned previously, the subway extension into Ridgewood was primarily responsible for bringing new people to the neighborhood. Someone needed to give them a place to live. Four major builders were responsible for providing living space for the new residents, many of whom were German immigrants.
In this section, we will briefly describe who each man was and their contribution to the pre-WWI housing boom in Ridgewood. The four were: Paul Stier, Walter Ring, Gustave Matthews and Henry Meyer, Jr.

and under Matthews Flats:

Gustave Matthews mass-produced these multi-unit houses for about $8,000 and sold them for $11,000. They did not have central heating or hot water systems. The only heat came from coal in the stove and a kerosene heater in the living room. Despite this, the U.S. Government gave special recognition to Matthews’ concept in 1915 when an exhibit was opened at the Panama-Pacific Exposition in San Francisco. It showed the world how efficiently these type of apartments met housing needs for a surging population.

Obviously, all these homes today have central heating and hot water.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:20 PM

86,995 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Way back, fewer people owned homes. Tract housing allowed the common guy and gal to buy houses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
There was plenty of cookie-cutter housing before the war. Look no further than NYC Brownstones. The Post-WWII area simply resulted in (a) a general spike in homebuilding, and (b) that production skewed much more toward the detached, single-family variety than before.
Yes, Denver is full of 1920s bungalows, block after block. When I was a visiting nurse, I never had to ask where the bathroom was.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:47 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,674,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Way back, fewer people owned homes. Tract housing allowed the common guy and gal to buy houses.
Ok, that makes sense. Good summary. So why did mass-developed land/tract housing not appear until WWII? Why not around, say, the 1920s? Or even the 1890s?

Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 PM

86,995 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Ok, that makes sense. Good summary. So why did mass-developed land/tract housing not appear until WWII? Why not around, say, the 1920s? Or even the 1890s?
We have given you some examples of several cities that have tract housing from the 1920s or earlier. Look at all the row houses in any older city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning