U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 02:58 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,786,602 times

Advertisements

How is it that countries such as Spain, Turkey, India, Italy and China can plan and build them like clockwork, but it takes the US decades and costs a lot more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 05:11 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,674,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
How is it that countries such as Spain, Turkey, India, Italy and China can plan and build them like clockwork, but it takes the US decades and costs a lot more?
Because

A) They actually have the money
and
B) Their politicians have the foresight to invest in these things

Our politics and economy is too grounded in immediate results and returns. Long-term investments are a huge no-no for our shortsighted system.

EDIT: Whoops, I was thinking about why those nations build those systems so frequently compared to us. As for why they build them better and more efficiently, it's because:

A) They have a more educated populace, meaning more engineers, thus meaning more and better-built systems

and

B) They don't have politicians hellbent on stopping any and all progress, so they can construct systems according to the original plans and don't have to make compromises that water down the systems

Last edited by OuttaTheLouBurbs; 10-14-2014 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 06:46 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,467,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Because

A) They actually have the money
and
B) Their politicians have the foresight to invest in these things

Our politics and economy is too grounded in immediate results and returns. Long-term investments are a huge no-no for our shortsighted system.

EDIT: Whoops, I was thinking about why those nations build those systems so frequently compared to us. As for why they build them better and more efficiently, it's because:

A) They have a more educated populace, meaning more engineers, thus meaning more and better-built systems

and

B) They don't have politicians hellbent on stopping any and all progress, so they can construct systems according to the original plans and don't have to make compromises that water down the systems
To basically simplify it, their politicians work to help the people while American politicians work against the people.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:02 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,674,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
To basically simplify it, their politicians work to help the people while American politicians work against the people.
More or less, yes. Maybe it's because several millennia of revolutions and war have taught the leaders there not to mess with their constituents or each other. That's the best theory I can give.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:32 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,880,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Not quite. light rail is built to run in the streets which means smaller narrower cars. Rapid Transit does not need an 3rd rail(in fact parts of Chicago EL ran without it as late as the 90ies!). 3rd rails have certain advantages over catenary but that is about it.
Just curious. What are the advantages of third rail over catenary? I have never been able to find any.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:12 AM

9,520 posts, read 14,830,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Just curious. What are the advantages of third rail over catenary? I have never been able to find any.
It's cheaper, lower maintenance, doesn't require as much equipment in the rolling stock, and fits in smaller tunnels.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:24 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,880,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It's cheaper, lower maintenance, doesn't require as much equipment in the rolling stock, and fits in smaller tunnels.
But how is a rail cheaper or less maintenance, then a simple wire over the track? To replace a rail, the line could be out of service for weeks. A wire could be replaced overnight.

In Asia they use standard commuter trains in most of the subways. The trains are interchangeable from the surface lines to the subway. That is less equipment, and the tunnels are standard subway size. I can't understand the benefits of a third rail.

Osaka City Subway Fate Nagahori Tsurumiryokuchi Line - YouTube

Old 10-19-2014, 09:46 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times
Seattle runs light rail in their subway system which makes sense for cities that need a subway system but don't want the added cost of a full subway system with the third rail.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:05 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
How is it that countries such as Spain, Turkey, India, Italy and China can plan and build them like clockwork, but it takes the US decades?
I know a lot of people like to ignore this fact for some reason but most American cities are pretty far from each other and very spread out, especially compared to cities in those countries you listed.

Most American cities just aren't built for subways.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:52 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I know a lot of people like to ignore this fact for some reason but most American cities are pretty far from each other and very spread out, especially compared to cities in those countries you listed.

Most American cities just aren't built for subways.
I am confused by this post, subways are used for intracity transportation, not city to city connections. City to city would be best served by high speed rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or