U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:06 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Don't think the OP said location was the only factor. Just because income and education have more impact doesn't mean location has none.
OK, then, let's throw in location - and food deserts in inner city neighborhoods, especially low-income neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 07:22 PM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Actually, "food deserts" aren't all they're cracked up to be, either.
The Root: The Myth of the Food Desert : NPR
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/he...dies.html?_r=0
Food Deserts Exaggerated | Planetizen: The Urban Planning, Design, and Development Network

Maybe there's just a lot we don't know about obesity! Nah, can't be.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:39 AM

1,110 posts, read 908,316 times
I'm a little skeptical when I see an article linked from the Atlantic...after spending some time there once, I found their credibility to be shoddy. This seems to be a case of forcing the data to fit a hypothesis rather than creating a hypothesis and testing it.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:37 AM

18,794 posts, read 14,269,370 times
I have done long distance running since my 20's, and lived in various environments, including in Chicago, Seattle, and now in suburbs of Seattle. I always found a way to get in my running. Now I do most of my running on a treadmill or in a small park with a .45 mile loop, which I run round and round as much as 60 laps. I do it this way mostly to avoid running on pavement, which is stressful to joints.

By the same token, you take someone who weighs 300 lbs. and move them around to various environments--it seems unlikely that a change of address is going to change their eating/exercise habits. It's the individual, not the environment.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:21 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,619,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...there are so many more important ways to look at these problems that I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I mean seriously, poor or rich things like what you eat, what kind of job you have, how educated you are all so much more important.

This is garbage. I get angry thinking about it. There are people living in literlly falling apart inner cities and these pompous turds get to spout off their hare brained ideas about helping people stay fit with better STREET design?!?

Get real!
"Education" has little to do with what one eats! IF one can't afford Whole Foods prices, (ever been to one yet? or are you a trust fund baby?) one won't have the opportunity to eat right. (Talk about the "country of opportunities!" yeah right! False propaganda!) How many suburbs have healthy stores like Whole Foods? ALL food stores should be healthy! Are we stupid? Please name all the suburbs that have Whole Foods in them! All you find in these suburbs is gross fast food places, no quality restaurants, and ZERO quality food stores! Why? people people were more enticed by space than what they'll be eating! Have i mentioned that other than a pathetic movie theater there is no other form of entertainment put into suburbs? ever visited a suburb?

Generally these suburbs were created to keep people away from culture, (considering that all the venues with ballet, music, concerts, sports, are STILL found in downtown's; where people visiting still have to fight with those low lives lurking around that should be nowhere near these areas! THEY should be pushed on pastures! Talk about assbackwards mentality), which make for an annoying commute for someone who works downtown and is trying to get all the way home; that person is not going to go home get changed, and then come back downtown to be entertained! DOH! These suburbs were were meant for people to sit home and get fat on the couch being trapped in "bundle" predatory FIOS/like agreements that cannot be cancelled; too fat to fight for their rights...

Of course people are lazy and complacent, it's how the media wants them to be! Shove those chips down in industrial quantities, with elephant portions, and cans after cans of soda! This has nothing to do with education, this is a societal problem created by the media! Everyone knows in the back of their head ice cream(etc) can make you fat!

Instead of offering "granite counters and stainless appliances" downtown, they pushed everyone away from the culture and into pastures...so stupid. Increasing commute times, and eating up gas like it's no tomorrow...it's a predatory society that lives by on the premise that "how can someone refuse 4000sqf of space..." Pffff...people here are no longer living to have fun & enjoy their lives, they are just living! It's pathetic what some rich jerks managed to do to this country.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:52 AM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
"Education" has little to do with what one eats!
Wrong. Education has everything to do with one's diet, because if you don't know what's nutritious and what isn't, or how to store and prepare nutritious foods, then your diet isn't going to be all that healthy, is it?

Quote:
Please name all the suburbs that have Whole Foods in them!
Too many to list. I'm feeling a tad lazy today to be typing all the suburbs in the Philadelphia area alone that have a Whole Foods store, let alone the entire nation. Whole Foods has a website, though; you can look up the locations for yourself.

Quote:
All you find in these suburbs is gross fast food places, no quality restaurants, and ZERO quality food stores!
Wrong again. See above - that is, if you consider Whole Foods a quality food store. I do not. But I do have the choice of several farm stands in season and a variety of produce markets and butchers where I can find organic foods and organically fed meats.

Quote:
Have i mentioned that other than a pathetic movie theater there is no other form of entertainment put into suburbs?
Wrong again. I went to the theater the other night in a neighboring suburb. It was pretty awesome. Another suburb has concerts with national acts every Sunday night in the summer, another has its own philharmonic orchestra, and still another has an art center and gallery where you can take classes.

Or is that not what you consider entertainment and/or culture?

Quote:
ever visited a suburb?
Apparently you have not.
Quote:
Generally these suburbs were created to keep people away from culture,
LMAO; see above.
Quote:
These suburbs were were meant for people to sit home and get fat on the couch being trapped in "bundle" predatory FIOS/like agreements that cannot be cancelled; too fat to fight for their rights...
Issues, man .... serious issues.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:58 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,196,742 times
While it's fun trying to TWEAK people's lives, the obesity situation is simple.

SUGAR and processed foods and pushing fractionalized GRAINS in everything like 80 brands of cereal instead of OATMEAL that the previous generation ate. IF they ate cereal at all.

It's not rocket science. Just a source of taxpayer dollars to fund food subsidies, feed cheaper, feed ANIMALS cheaper, fund endless studies and other political scams.

That being said, I agree urban planning and SUBURBAN planning could be better served but that's not how it works.

WHY does the government own over HALF of the property in FLorida and you can't even build a single structure without endless IMPACT FEES etc and taking 18 months to even get permits. DIsney was built quicker LOL

Quote:
Generally these suburbs were created to keep people away from culture
WHAT????

OMG people weren't moving to suburbs without a way to get " back" to "culture".

Do you think they're going to build a STEEL MILL in the heart of an urban city or are they going to build it in "the suburbs" and people are going to want to live NEAR WORK?

What about people who wanted a small piece of grass for their kids to play, the simple 1950's utopia??

People who live in NE Philly are within the city limits and it can take them longer to get "to culture" than people who live in some "suburbs".

You DO realize The BRONX was wilderness until they built the train out there, right?

Finding Utopia in The Bronx

Historical Racially Integrated Concord Park, Bensalem PA

I live in a 15K coastal town in FL. NO culture?

http://riversidetheatre.com/

http://www.verobeachmuseum.org/

http://www.balletverobeach.org/

http://verobeachartgalleries.blogspot.com/

I might suggest if there is a CULTURAL DESERT in the suburbs, that the politicians and school boards stop focusing on class warfare, teaching kids that the PROGRESSIVE way is the ONLY way, changing HISTORY, and start teaching and promoting the ARTS.

And you cannot make a CASE that urban dwellers are the only customers of CULTURE.

In fact I'd say just like everything else it's more of a class or cultural thing than an intentional segregation.

Now put a Kardashian or Beyonce expo out there and it'll be MOBBED.

I REALLY REALLY hate the Progressive push to create transportation based stacked communities and make people who don't want to live like that "THE ENEMY". And even WORSE, pushing to tax those people to redistribute their income to the urban centers. AND skew the political process with POPULATION voting majorities versus county based votes much like the US COngress.

URBAN center voters with such a high transient population should have EXACTLY the same representation as SUBURBAN voters. By COUNTY.

The solution to POVERTY is NOT to stack the poor in government subsidized all rental neighborhoods but OPPORTUNITY and private property rights, PRICED RIGHT, with low barriers to entry meaning stopping the overreaching "planning" arm of government. THAT's what creates family formations, too.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 08-15-2014 at 08:20 AM..

Old 08-15-2014, 10:20 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
my experience is the burbs are the land of the Whole Foods to be honest

Also there are many options for good food choices in the burbs I am used to. Wegmans does a pretty good job across the board with much better prices than whole foods

Old 08-15-2014, 10:21 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,619,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wrong. Education has everything to do with one's diet, because if you don't know what's nutritious and what isn't, or how to store and prepare nutritious foods, then your diet isn't going to be all that healthy, is it?

Too many to list. I'm feeling a tad lazy today to be typing all the suburbs in the Philadelphia area alone that have a Whole Foods store, let alone the entire nation. Whole Foods has a website, though; you can look up the locations for yourself.

Wrong again. See above - that is, if you consider Whole Foods a quality food store. I do not. But I do have the choice of several farm stands in season and a variety of produce markets and butchers where I can find organic foods and organically fed meats.

Wrong again. I went to the theater the other night in a neighboring suburb. It was pretty awesome. Another suburb has concerts with national acts every Sunday night in the summer, another has its own philharmonic orchestra, and still another has an art center and gallery where you can take classes.

Or is that not what you consider entertainment and/or culture?

Apparently you have not.
LMAO; see above.
Issues, man .... serious issues.
& Apparently you think Philadelphia equals United States Of America, because we all (300+million of us) live there!!!!!!! ONLY the RICH areas of a town have Whole Foods in them because Whole Foods KNOWS poor people cannot afford them! DOH! You need to get out more.

Ever lived in non walkable Florida? By the time I get back from the farmers market I am half tank empty and this is NOT something people can afford to do here on daily basis!

Old 08-15-2014, 10:23 AM

86,992 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I'm a little skeptical when I see an article linked from the Atlantic...after spending some time there once, I found their credibility to be shoddy. This seems to be a case of forcing the data to fit a hypothesis rather than creating a hypothesis and testing it.
I totally agree. And they are not a research journal. They just report the research, and put their own spin on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
"Education" has little to do with what one eats! IF one can't afford Whole Foods prices, (ever been to one yet? or are you a trust fund baby?) one won't have the opportunity to eat right. (Talk about the "country of opportunities!" yeah right! False propaganda!) How many suburbs have healthy stores like Whole Foods? ALL food stores should be healthy! Are we stupid? Please name all the suburbs that have Whole Foods in them! All you find in these suburbs is gross fast food places, no quality restaurants, and ZERO quality food stores! Why? people people were more enticed by space than what they'll be eating! Have i mentioned that other than a pathetic movie theater there is no other form of entertainment put into suburbs? ever visited a suburb?
Let's stop her for a moment. Ohiogirl81 did a good job with this, but I just want to add (cuz I like to hear the sound of my voice, LOL):

The county extension services have been teaching nutrition for at least 100 years.
Food, Nutrition, & Health

I've been to a couple of Whole Foods stores. I'm not entirely impressed. There are stores in many Denver suburbs. As with Philadelphia, you are free to Google this information. We also have Sprouts in the "natural" foods supermarket category. https://www.sprouts.com/ Sprouts too has many stores in the Denver burbs. You can do a search right on their website.

All food stores should be healthy? Yes, indeed. However, the definition of a supermarket acceptable to the "food desert" theory is one that does at least $2 million in [annual] sales that contain all the major food departments found in a traditional supermarket. (From the planetizen link in my previous post.) So many small "grocery stores" are not considered acceptable from the POV of sales.

My burb and the ones close by have numerous indie restaurants. I don't know what the heck you mean by "people people were more enticed by space than what they'll be eating" My burb and the surrounding ones have plenty of cultural activities other than movie theaters. In fact, in my town, the local theater complex wasn't doing well, and was turned into a "Cinnebarre" where you can eat and drink as well as watch the movie. We have a theater group (this in a burb of 20,000 people), there is a theater group in the next town over of about the same size. Both these companies put on about 4 plays a year. We usually see several of them. Plus much more. I invite you to check out my suburban city: City of Louisville, Colorado - Home, https://www.cctlouisville.org/, Theatre Company of Lafayette
My son-in-law plays the trumpet for a group that performs with this school:
Colorado Music Festival | Center for Musical Arts

Yes, I've visited many suburbs and I live in one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or