U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 11:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,967,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why? He's an economist, not a public health expert.
I quoted only his personal experience nothing professional health-related. Anyone with a pedometer could make that statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 06:43 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

Oops, I forgot that walking had to be "entertaining". My bad.
Yes, at a minimum, you need to see someone balance on a small board on some sort of fulcrum and juggle sticks that are on fire at least every 1/4 mile. If not that, it's not worth the walk.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I quoted only his personal experience nothing professional health-related. Anyone with a pedometer could make that statement.
First of all, Krugman's full of it regarding the number of steps in a mile.
How Many Walking Steps Are in a Mile?

Assuming he's around 6', it's about 2000 steps. So he's claiming he walks 7 1/2 miles in NYC? I highly doubt it!

Also, though I've never been to Princeton, I had this idea it's a fairly "urban" place itself. It certainly looks fairly urban around the university, which is where he works.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pr...cd49934a13d6c2

As for me, I'd rather walk around my own quiet neighborhood, with little traffic and a few people out on the sidewalks than in NYC with all the cars, buses, and people to avoid.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:52 PM

27,170 posts, read 29,669,595 times
Quote:
First of all, Krugman's full of it regarding the number of steps in a mile.
How Many Walking Steps Are in a Mile?

Assuming he's around 6', it's about 2000 steps. So he's claiming he walks 7 1/2 miles in NYC? I highly doubt it!

Also, though I've never been to Princeton, I had this idea it's a fairly "urban" place itself. It certainly looks fairly urban around the university, which is where he works.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pr...cd49934a13d6c2

As for me, I'd rather walk around my own quiet neighborhood, with little traffic and a few people out on the sidewalks than in NYC with all the cars, buses, and people to avoid.
Oh I could see racking up 7 miles quite easily! When I worked in SF, I took the bus to work. Going to and from work (from the bus stop) would clock in 2.5 miles. We would typically walk a 3/4 mile to get to the good lunch spots each way. There goes 4. The best coffee option was 1/2 mile away. Now I am at 5 on a regular work day.

Of course his pedometer is counting all the normal steps in the day. I clocked in 3-4000 steps in the office and at home from going to the bathroom and talking to coworkers and stuff. Even when I worked from home, in my studio apartment, I got 3000 steps in the day most of the time. Stop at the grocery store? You probably get in another 500-1000 steps.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Oh I could see racking up 7 miles quite easily! When I worked in SF, I took the bus to work. Going to and from work (from the bus stop) would clock in 2.5 miles. We would typically walk a 3/4 mile to get to the good lunch spots each way. There goes 4. The best coffee option was 1/2 mile away. Now I am at 5 on a regular work day.

Of course his pedometer is counting all the normal steps in the day. I clocked in 3-4000 steps in the office and at home from going to the bathroom and talking to coworkers and stuff. Even when I worked from home, in my studio apartment, I got 3000 steps in the day most of the time. Stop at the grocery store? You probably get in another 500-1000 steps.
I've found getting in even 500 steps is harder than one would think.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:56 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,830,658 times
Quote:
First of all, Krugman's full of it regarding the number of steps in a mile. [...]
Yeah, not likely, unless he spends the day walking around. That's 2 hours of walking, minimum.

Quote:
Princeton is pretty much the archetype of a college town; it's certainly walkable. Be hard to walk 7.5 miles without deliberately setting out to do so, though; the walkable part of town is maybe 2 miles wide.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
I've found getting in even 500 steps is harder than one would think.
Once I worked in a small 2 floor office. The bathroom was on the ground floor and I drink lots of water.

I had a Jawbone Up for a while (till it died) and I found I got in about 6000-7000 steps in my current desk job. I have to park 3 blocks away. And lunch can be a few blocks depending. This wasn't making an extra effort to fit in more steps.

I get my 10k in if I take transit though. It is a huge difference. Looking forward to starting a new job in a few weeks. I haven't determined what my transit commute will look like but I can either walk about 2 miles round trip or bike 2 miles, walk a mile. Well I guess when I put it like that the bike looks inconvenient. I'll try both methods. I am thinking ahead to the days when I'll have an evening meeting or happy hour!

Old 08-18-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yeah, not likely, unless he spends the day walking around. That's 2 hours of walking, minimum.

Princeton is pretty much the archetype of a college town; it's certainly walkable. Be hard to walk 7.5 miles without deliberately setting out to do so, though; the walkable part of town is maybe 2 miles wide.
Exactly! I decided to wear my pedometer on my morning walk after all this talk about it. It's about 4000 steps, took about 40 min. We do not try to set a world record in speed-walking, and today we included some hill climbing. But anyway, at 100 steps/min, you would have to walk for 150 min, 2 1/2 hours, to get 15,000 steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Once I worked in a small 2 floor office. The bathroom was on the ground floor and I drink lots of water.

I had a Jawbone Up for a while (till it died) and I found I got in about 6000-7000 steps in my current desk job. I have to park 3 blocks away. And lunch can be a few blocks depending. This wasn't making an extra effort to fit in more steps.

I get my 10k in if I take transit though. It is a huge difference. Looking forward to starting a new job in a few weeks. I haven't determined what my transit commute will look like but I can either walk about 2 miles round trip or bike 2 miles, walk a mile. Well I guess when I put it like that the bike looks inconvenient. I'll try both methods. I am thinking ahead to the days when I'll have an evening meeting or happy hour!
First, congrats on the new job!

I have tried wearing my pedometer at work, but with all the bending, lifting, stretching I have to do working with kids, it kept falling off. But I am on my feet about 75% of the time.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,967,271 times
From the Jawbone blog, the average New Yorker gets about 8700 steps / day. Maybe not a fair sample, but 8700 must not unusually high.

https://jawbone.com/blog/jawbone-up-data-by-city/

Note that Krugman says:

I’m in New York than when I’m in Princeton; just a few choices to walk rather than take the subway fairly easily gets me to 15,000 steps in the city

He's deliberately choosing to walk extra rather than take a subway (or any other form of mechanized transportation). If 15,000 steps is two hours of walking, spread out over a whole day and again avoiding using mass transit (more likely than driving in Manhattan) is plausible if he's going to/from a number of places. Krugman doesn't work in NYC, he visits frequently for business and/or pleasure (or likely both at the same time).

Old 08-21-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Exactly! I decided to wear my pedometer on my morning walk after all this talk about it. It's about 4000 steps, took about 40 min. We do not try to set a world record in speed-walking, and today we included some hill climbing. But anyway, at 100 steps/min, you would have to walk for 150 min, 2 1/2 hours, to get 15,000 steps.

First, congrats on the new job!

I have tried wearing my pedometer at work, but with all the bending, lifting, stretching I have to do working with kids, it kept falling off. But I am on my feet about 75% of the time.
I had a Jawbone up bracelet. Way easier than a traditional pedometer. Would not recommend. It though. It was flaky. I needed 4 replacements in 6 months and I just gave up on it. Still looking for a more reliable options.

Thanks for the congrats! I am excited. You'll see me posting more about going car-lite as I won't be driving to work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or