Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Fitness clubs aren't the answer either.
They are expensive and most people with fitness memberships don't stay motivated for long.

4 of 5 gym memberships go unused -- except maybe in the first days of the new year | OregonLive.com

I think that's because the best kind of exercise, is the natural kind that you do outdoors, you're having fun and you enjoy doing it. It doesn't feel like work. But using indoor gym equipment at a club feels artificial and not natural, like you have to force yourself to do it...feels too much like work so people lose interest in it very quickly.
Then I guess I'm part of the 20% because I joined a gym 27 years ago and have been going regularly ever since.

I do a lot of purposeful walking (for cardio) and as long as I have sidewalks and trails, I'm good. But suburban neighborhoods that don't have sidewalks would be discouraging to me. Without sidewalks, you're actually discouraged from walking anywhere from your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 10:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Then I guess I'm part of the 20% because I joined a gym 27 years ago and have been going regularly ever since.

I do a lot of purposeful walking (for cardio) and as long as I have sidewalks and trails, I'm good. But suburban neighborhoods that don't have sidewalks would be discouraging to me. Without sidewalks, you're actually discouraged from walking anywhere from your house.
There are few suburban neighborhoods in metro Denver that don't have sidewalks. In fact, there are few suburbs in the entire western US (that I've seen anyway) that don't have sidewalks. That's more of an eastern thing.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:55 AM

358 posts, read 450,794 times
Here in Wisconsin, a neighborhood is fighting the city's attempt to put in sidewalks to accommodate the local school. They say it takes away from the rural character of the neighborhood.

(IMO this neighborhood is very suburban, not rural.)

Old 08-14-2014, 01:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
Default It varies considerably by not just "region" but also "lifestyle" and "purpose"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There are few suburban neighborhoods in metro Denver that don't have sidewalks. In fact, there are few suburbs in the entire western US (that I've seen anyway) that don't have sidewalks. That's more of an eastern thing.
I really despise the stupid conclusions of lazy researchers like these!

Near to where I live there a suburb that is rather well known as the home of McDonalds Corporation and other financially powerful firms. The Village of Oak Brook for the most part does not have traditional ribbons of concrete in front of every home but instead of sidewalks they do have one of the most extensive "bicycle / pedestrian path" networks anywhere. And, in good weather, it gets used quite heavily. Kids do ride their bikes between friends' homes, moms stroll with infants / jog for fitness, office workers take a lunch walk or run, serious cyclists can use the paths (which include a large number of costly overpasses / underpasses to avoid busier roads) to link to a broader system of excellent training routes. It is a wonderful resource for retirees as well -- many folks use the paths to get to the Village's excellent Park District facilities.

Oak Brook once had a fairly nice network of equestrian faacilities but over the years the challenges of horse ownership have diminished the ranks of property owners that support such bridal paths. The relative amount of funding the Village can allocate to maintenance / expansion of the pedestrian / bicycle paths has much broader support.

Oak Brook was first incorporated in the 1950s. Prior to that is was farmland. There are some portions of the Villlage that have townhomes / condo with a bit higher density but for the most part the large lots common in the 1960-80s remain a desirable feature. A few larger tracts are scheduled for subdividing but as the town lacks any direct connections to transit no one is clamouring for any kind of foolish "mixed use" developement. People are smart enough to learn from misguided efforts to impose questionable planning precepts upon area where they will not succeed.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
True, but many in Denver have those silly "half sidwalks" that are connected to the curbs. I've never understood that because they're difficult to use if there are cars parked on the streets.

In the Midwest, it seemed like most suburban neighborhoods had no sidewalks at all.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
True, but many in Denver have those silly "half sidwalks" that are connected to the curbs. I've never understood that because they're difficult to use if there are cars parked on the streets.
Do you mean no green strip? Generally the usual for older streets here, especially near the center of town. Never had an issue with them.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Do you mean no green strip? Generally the usual for older streets here, especially near the center of town. Never had an issue with them.
Yes, but they're not as wide as a normal sidewalk. Maybe only 2' wide, so rather useless. They're all over neighborhoods built out in maybe the 50s - 70s.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Yes, but they're not as wide as a normal sidewalk. Maybe only 2' wide, so rather useless. They're all over neighborhoods built out in maybe the 50s - 70s.
I think you're estimating low. I just went out and measured mine (with my feet, not a ruler). It's about 4' wide, then it slopes down to the street. That seems to be the standard all over Louisville, except in the very oldest part of town, where they have those strips. There are also grass strips between sidewalk and street on all the feeder streets in the newer (p. 1975 or so) parts of town. On some of the major roads, the sidewalk is quite a way from the road. Anyway, our sidewalks work in our neighborhood. There is very little traffic.

Re: the midwest suburbs, I guess it depends on where in the midwest. In Omaha, there are sidewalks in almost all the suburban areas. There are a few rural-ish roads that don't have them.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa...0a60c46ff4d6e8
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ra...f3d194d13a1e1b
Some of the sidewalks in Papillion and Ralston even have those grass strips.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-14-2014 at 05:23 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 06:02 PM

41,939 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Not buying it. Explain high obesity rates in the inner cities. Income and education have more of an impact than location.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not buying it. Explain high obesity rates in the inner cities. Income and education have more of an impact than location.
Don't think the OP said location was the only factor. Just because income and education have more impact doesn't mean location has none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning