Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:36 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Don't think the OP said location was the only factor. Just because income and education have more impact doesn't mean location has none.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I don't think modern suburbs are ideal for a healthy lifestyle, but neither are very dense skyscraper cities.

Skyscraper cities are more walkable, but also much noisier and more stressful due to the super high concentration of car traffic and people traffic that is created by very tall buildings. You have more inactive sedentary lifestyle in the suburbs, but the noise and stress of the big city isn't good for you either. And outside of the urban core or downtown area, most city dwellers live in autocentric suburb-like neighborhoods anyways that tend to be not very walkable. Modern suburb versus modern skyscraper city? Neither is ideal.
There is a lot of neighborhood types between skyscraper and sprawling modern suburbs......

This is the neighborhood next to mine. Does this look like a modern suburb or a skyscraper city?
Commercial area: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gr...85d197e60cff54
Residential area on adjacent block: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gr...85d197e60cff54
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 12:41 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
This isn't a skyscraper neighborhood either, but it's probably not what you had in mind as an "in between" neighborhood.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Inwoo...7.01,,0,-22.14

Old 08-15-2014, 12:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am a Whole Foods fan. They are "healthier" than other stores in the fact that there are fewer additives across the board, but not everything is healthy there, obviously. But where they really excel is in providing a pleasant shopping experience. It is not stressful to shop at Whole Foods (compared to Safeway and the really good indie grocery store in Berkeley where fights break out over parking spaces). On the whole it is pricy, but some stuff is priced well. The meat prices are not so far off the other stores for similar meats, and they do put meats on sale. Produce is a rip off, and I only buy there if it is on sale for a good price or I am desperate for a banana or an onion.*

*Yes I have been to Wegmans, but it is a small regional chain and not everyone has access to that. It is a really nice store though.

Back more directly on topic, obesity is a pretty complicated issue and we should take a more multi-faceted approach to make out communities healthier. It doesn't hurt to softly encourage people to build more activity in their day, no matter what there BMI is.
That may be true in your WF experience, but not in mine. The store in Boulder has a parking situation similar to what you describe above about the store in Berkeley. The store in Superior has ample parking, but it's always, and I mean always crowded. We were there on Thanksgiving Day and it was crowded.

Yes, obesity is complicated. That's why I have problems with these studies that try to link it to where a person lives. It's an individual thing. You can live in a super-walkable neighborhood and never walk anywhere! It's your own personal lifestyle, among other things.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, obesity is complicated. That's why I have problems with these studies that try to link it to where a person lives. It's an individual thing. You can live in a super-walkable neighborhood and never walk anywhere! It's your own personal lifestyle, among other things.
The most walkable neighborhoods generally have some parking inconveniences. Many times, it's hard or impossible not to walk. Even in the town I live in, if I want to go to the center of town there's often a slight disadvantage of driving over walking though I live quite close to the center.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
The most walkable neighborhoods generally have some parking inconveniences. Many times, it's hard or impossible not to walk. Even in the town I live in, if I want to go to the center of town there's often a slight disadvantage of driving over walking though I live quite close to the center.
Which means nothing to the individual. Some people choose to drive no matter how inconvenient parking is made. Just talk to all the "planners" in Boulder. (Not referring to those actually paid to be city planners.) For decades, they've tried to make it more inconvenient to park so that people will be encouraged to drive. It hasn't worked yet.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Which means nothing to the individual. Some people choose to drive no matter how inconvenient parking is made. Just talk to all the "planners" in Boulder. (Not referring to those actually paid to be city planners.) For decades, they've tried to make it more inconvenient to park so that people will be encouraged to drive. It hasn't worked yet.
If parking is inconvenient enough, you can't park immediately by your destination. You have to walk. Boulder is nowhere as dense as the places I'm describing. In any case, people who might not walk normally will walk if it's the more convenient option unless they really want to avoid walking.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
If parking is inconvenient enough, you can't park immediately by your destination. You have to walk. Boulder is nowhere as dense as the places I'm describing. In any case, people who might not walk normally will walk if it's the more convenient option unless they really want to avoid walking.
We can argue this back and forth forever. So maybe you "have" to walk an extra block or two. Do you know how few calories you'll use up doing that? Not enough to have whole milk instead of skim in your latte (since we're talking about Boulder)! It hasn't worked here. If you totally eliminate parking, people will just quit coming. They'll find someplace else to shop.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
We can argue this back and forth forever. So maybe you "have" to walk an extra block or two. Do you know how few calories you'll use up doing that? Not enough to have whole milk instead of skim in your latte (since we're talking about Boulder)! It hasn't worked here. If you totally eliminate parking, people will just quit coming. They'll find someplace else to shop.
First, I said nothing about the calories involved. I was only arguing that you could live in a super-walkable neighborhood and never walk. It's not that realistic of a combination.

I'm not referring to Boulder. I'm referring to places like Boston, San Francisco, and yes, New York City. For a commercial area it's sometimes more than just an extra block or two. A large number of shoppers aren't driving there, so only some will quit. [Not saying that's still good for business]

Old 08-15-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
First, I said nothing about the calories involved. I was only arguing that you could live in a super-walkable neighborhood and never walk. It's not that realistic of a combination.

I'm not referring to Boulder. I'm referring to places like Boston, San Francisco, and yes, New York City. For a commercial area it's sometimes more than just an extra block or two. A large number of shoppers aren't driving there, so only some will quit. [Not saying that's still good for business]
I think you missed my point with the calories, which are relevant b/c this is an obesity thread, and we're discussing an article which allegedly "proves" that living, yes, merely living, in a walkable neighborhood results in lower obesity levels. But, oh well.

Do we always have to talk about Boston, San Francisco, and NYC? Oh, and Portland? (Not mentioned) Can't we talk about Boulder once in a while. They're the ones who've been trying to eliminate driving for decades.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
This isn't a skyscraper neighborhood either, but it's probably not what you had in mind as an "in between" neighborhood.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Inwoo...7.01,,0,-22.14
I generally like this form too!

Quote:
That may be true in your WF experience, but not in mine. The store in Boulder has a parking situation similar to what you describe above about the store in Berkeley. The store in Superior has ample parking, but it's always, and I mean always crowded. We were there on Thanksgiving Day and it was crowded.

My WF is busy, but there are 2 lots. One with about 35 spaces and another with 200+ up the hill on the roof. It cracks me up how many people are circling the small lot when the big lot generally has plenty of spots (Thanksgiving excepted). We also have about 70 bike parking spots at my Whole Foods, and I bike there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning