Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Outside 9 12.68%
Center 62 87.32%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,216,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Well we were discussing the Super Bowl at Giants Stadium, so I'm not sure what downtown has to do with it. But for every Bronco game (just as an example) the biggest traffic jams are entering and exiting the on site parking lots.
Well, the thread was about comparing downtown stadium locations with out of the city locations, so that's why I mentioned those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 10:28 AM

4,967 posts, read 6,235,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The difference is, a ballet studio uses a lot less land than a football stadium. If you are looking at this from an economic standpoint, you have to factor in the opportunity costs of taking up the land with a football stadium.

To this point, no one has given an example of a football stadium integrated into a downtown. The most brought up example continues to be Denver and New Orleans. Those are not good examples.

EDIT: I see this has been brought up, and refuted using nothing resembling logic. Carry on folks. Nothing to see here.
Just curious, would you have considered the RCA Dome as part of downtown Indianapolis?

Old 08-22-2014, 11:56 AM

8,945 posts, read 17,184,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Just curious, would you have considered the RCA Dome as part of downtown Indianapolis?
Of course. So too would Lucas Oil Stadium.

Were the grounds of Lucas Oil Stadium a vibrant part of downtown when the dome was around?

My point is this.........NFL stadiums create a sort of dead zone. If they were integrated with their downtown, there would not be a dead zone. Even Indianapolis, a city that many point to as having an integrated downtown stadium has dead zones.

McCarty Street, West Street, Kentucky Ave, Missouri Street, Kenwood Ave, and even South Street look like something you would not expect to see a stone's throw from Lucas Oil Stadium and the core of downtown Indianapolis. I would like to see one example of an NFL stadium that does not have some kind of dead zone around it and contributes to a downtown every day without cutting an area off.

Not New Orleans, not Denver, not Charlotte.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 08-22-2014 at 12:08 PM..

Old 08-22-2014, 12:17 PM

52 posts, read 56,358 times
I always felt Baseball should be downtown and Football should be outside the city. I'm just basing this off my experience with Boston's stadiums. The area around Fenway is great, there are a lot of sports bars and restaurants and it's generally a fun area to be in on game day. Then there's Gillette Stadium in Foxboro which is an hour away from the city, but the setting is more suited for football, there's tons of big parking lots around the area for tailgating and such.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:37 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,814,154 times
Maybe not right downtown but certainly close. As a practical matter many suburbs don't want them close to residential areas, and almost none want to finance them. Besides, you have the issue of it being too far for some fans, unless they are concentrated one side of the city.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,216,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Maybe not right downtown but certainly close. As a practical matter many suburbs don't want them close to residential areas, and almost none want to finance them. Besides, you have the issue of it being too far for some fans, unless they are concentrated one side of the city.
Not just suburbs, but city neighborhoods. Park Slope made a big fuss made over the Barclays Center (sport stadium for basketball & hockey and concert arena). Fears were increased noise and rowdy concertgoers in the neighborhood, increased traffic, and using up on-street parking (the neighborhood has very little off street parking). Turned out most visitors (70% ?) came by transit and existing garages accommodated many of the drivers. The crime and traffic worries were mostly baseless:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/ny...pagewanted=all

Old 08-24-2014, 12:00 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Ours are financed through stadium districts:
About-Us (Baseball)
The District currently includes all or part of the seven counties in the Denver metropolitan area.

MFSD, Metropolitan Football Stadium District About Us
The District includes all or part of the seven counties in the Denver metropolitan area.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:50 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,273,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick21243 View Post
I always felt Baseball should be downtown and Football should be outside the city. I'm just basing this off my experience with Boston's stadiums. The area around Fenway is great, there are a lot of sports bars and restaurants and it's generally a fun area to be in on game day. Then there's Gillette Stadium in Foxboro which is an hour away from the city, but the setting is more suited for football, there's tons of big parking lots around the area for tailgating and such.
Gillette is way too far from Boston IMO. The stadium shouldn't be more than a 30 minute drive from the city.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:42 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,667,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
Gillette is way too far from Boston IMO. The stadium shouldn't be more than a 30 minute drive from the city.

The Patriot's stadium is somewhat unique in that it is not the "Boston" Patriots, but the "New England" Patriots, so a more central location makes sense.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:09 AM

52 posts, read 56,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlando-calrissian View Post
I completely agree

Edit: Actually just looked it up and its only a little over a half hour to get there. But on gameday its more likely an hour/hour and a half

Last edited by Nick21243; 08-30-2014 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning