U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Outside 9 12.68%
Center 62 87.32%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 09:26 PM

358 posts, read 359,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I agree it makes no sense. Mile High Stadium (actually Invesco Field at Mile High, but most people outside of Denver know it as "Mile High") is the same. Football haters gotta hate.
Why on earth would you equate my opinion on where to build a stadium with "hating football"? THAT makes no sense.

GO PACK GO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 09:33 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
MLB and NBA stadiums belong downtown. NFL stadiums belong in the history books
See?

Quote:
I agree it makes no sense. Mile High Stadium (actually Invesco Field at Mile High, but most people outside of Denver know it as "Mile High") is the same. Football haters gotta hate.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:37 PM

Ah, quoting mistake. I'll let it slide this time!

Old 08-18-2014, 09:37 PM

86,988 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
Most NFL stadiums are not multi-purpose domes like the Superdome. They are outdoor stadiums that require large parking lots, which get used for tailgating. It doesn't make sense to put them downtown.

For the cities that have multi-purpose domes... Sure, put them downtown. But those stadiums aren't typical.
Several people, including me, have shown that our cities' stadiums are used for other than football. Mile High is not domed.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:44 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Outside because of cost of property and need for parking.in fact its why most newer are built at least on out skirts.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Several people, including me, have shown that our cities' stadiums are used for other than football. Mile High is not domed.
Is Mile High considered part of downtown? Looking at Google Maps it appears to be a bit removed from downtown, but I've never been there myself.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:17 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,193,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
Is Mile High considered part of downtown? Looking at Google Maps it appears to be a bit removed from downtown, but I've never been there myself.
Not actually in downtown but just across the river from downtown and easy walking distance.
Close enough that it brings business downtown but does not use otherwise valuable downtown real estate.
Built on the location of an early landfill.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:55 PM

7,846 posts, read 5,285,074 times
Stadiums belong downtown.

Just look at the Bills. Western New York is urging for a move downtown... downtown Buffalo is all but deserted. Most cities have it close enough to the core to be accessible via public transportation; not 20 miles into the suburbs.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:24 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Quote:
It was inside, where they sell concessions and such.
That makes more sense, though sounds like an awkward place for a bridal show, but I don't know the space at all, so it could work. Still NFL stadiums don't tend to get as much year round activity that something like an NBA arena would.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 AM

10,842 posts, read 19,413,421 times
Quote:
Mile High is used for a lot more than football games. I once went to a bridal fair there with my daughter.
Mile High is not really downtown though, it's on the fringes of downtown. Denver has done it right. The Baseball and arena are closer to downtown while the football stadium is near downtown so it's close enough to help downtown when its being used and you can use transit to access it, but it's not wasted dead space in the heart of the city when not being use nor does it completely overwhelm downtown with parking and traffic the during games days.

Kansas City's Arrowhead stadium is in a perfect location. A near downtown location would be nice, but there is no reason to build a new stadium for that reason alone.

Kauffman Stadium should be in downtown Kansas City, MO though. Kansas City's downtown is nice, but it could really use the additional activity of 25,000 fans downtown 80+ times a year to help create demand for hotels, restaurants and help justify transit improvements.

KC's new Sprint Center arena is in a very urban downtown location. Arenas should be in the city too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or