U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: ?
Outside 9 12.68%
Center 62 87.32%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2014, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Reputation: 7830

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Mile High is not really downtown though, it's on the fringes of downtown. Denver has done it right. The Baseball and arena are closer to downtown while the football stadium is near downtown so it's close enough to help downtown when its being used and you can use transit to access it, but it's not wasted dead space in the heart of the city when not being use nor does it completely overwhelm downtown with parking and traffic the during games days.

Kansas City's Arrowhead stadium is in a perfect location. A near downtown location would be nice, but there is no reason to build a new stadium for that reason alone.

Kauffman Stadium should be in downtown Kansas City, MO though. Kansas City's downtown is nice, but it could really use the additional activity of 25,000 fans downtown 80+ times a year to help create demand for hotels, restaurants and help justify transit improvements.

KC's new Sprint Center arena is in a very urban downtown location. Arenas should be in the city too.
I agree with you, Denver has a great layout for its stadiums that best benefits the downtown and city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2014, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You sure as heck don't want to be confused with the fact, do you? Poster after poster has given examples of what their stadiums are used for in addition to football games, and yet still you say they don't get as much use. NBA isn't year round, either (though sometimes it feels like it!).



I'm glad you think Denver "got it right", but I think it was more happenstance than anything else.



I do not understand why it makes a difference if the football stadium is downtown or somewhere else. I. . . just. . . don't. . . get it!
I never said NFL stadiums are only used for one thing, I said they tend to have much more down time than an arena. Portland's Rose Garden Arena is always being used for events besides NFL, yet a NFL stadium might only have 1-5 events a month in them. That is a fact, feel free to compare the events each stadium in Denver hosts and tell me which one is most active.

Last edited by nei; 08-20-2014 at 05:21 AM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
4,164 posts, read 4,613,797 times
Reputation: 4224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
Baseball stadiums should be downtown.
Football stadiums should be in an outer area.

Baseball seasons are long and can have multiple home games per week, bringing in a lot of summertime foot traffic to the downtown area. This can be good for the surrounding businesses and overall downtown vibrancy.

Football stadiums are used for 8 home games a year, so any kind of residual benefit would be negligible.
Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis is directly connected to the convention center and part or all of many conventions are held at the stadium, plus other events such as the drum corps national championships which takes up about a week. Bands of America (high school marching bands from around the country) has regional and national championships there each year, the NCAA Final Four on a 5 year rotating basis, monster truck rallies, motocross events, rodeos. It's used for all sorts of things outside of 8 NFL games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
4,164 posts, read 4,613,797 times
Reputation: 4224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anony-Momma View Post
Lucas Oil Stadium hosts more than football, including basketball, proms, concerts, conferences, Drum Corps International events, Indiana's state marching band finals, and Bands of America marching band events.
Ah you beat me too it. I should have read more comments first.

We both forgot a lot of graduations take place at Lucas Oil as well, not just IUPUI but several high schools from the suburbs have their graduation at Lucas Oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 10:24 AM
 
Location: The City
22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
Reputation: 7737
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis is directly connected to the convention center and part or all of many conventions are held at the stadium, plus other events such as the drum corps national championships which takes up about a week. Bands of America (high school marching bands from around the country) has regional and national championships there each year, the NCAA Final Four on a 5 year rotating basis, monster truck rallies, motocross events, rodeos. It's used for all sorts of things outside of 8 NFL games.
Doesn't it have a dome or retractable one? Makes sense

I think this is really not an either/or a lot depends on the specific city. Indy used space wisely in their downtown and connected to the conv center. It had more space to use than some others

When CBP was build (just before) there was a lot of movement to put the stadium in CC - in the end it ended up in the sports complex

I do agree that in general Baseball and Arenas are used much more frequently, esp non dome football stadiums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 10:27 AM
 
3,944 posts, read 4,036,149 times
Reputation: 4375
Quote:
Cowboys Stadium
I actually think Cowboys stadium is the perfect embodiment of this argument. It's pretty much as good as it gets in terms of stadium quality, but the area it is in has had almost no outside investment around the stadium in the several years since it has been built while tons of economic activity is occuring in the metro area around it. In fact, many of the restaurants surrounding it are failing making the area worse.

So who would want one of these things downtown? It just wastes space that could be used for more productive activities while sucking up tax dollars that could be spent for other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
4,164 posts, read 4,613,797 times
Reputation: 4224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
I completely understand that many football stadiums get used for multiple purposes. It looks like about half of those you listed are located outside of their cities' downtowns, which is what I suggest. I just feel that baseball stadiums are more of a consistent "daily driver" for activity.

Now here's a potentially controversial opinion: I think football is meant to be played outdoors, not in a dome!
The bold I do agree with. As much as I love my Colts and Lucas Oil Stadium, football should be outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
4,164 posts, read 4,613,797 times
Reputation: 4224
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Doesn't it have a dome or retractable one? Makes sense

I think this is really not an either/or a lot depends on the specific city. Indy used space wisely in their downtown and connected to the conv center. It had more space to use than some others

When CBP was build (just before) there was a lot of movement to put the stadium in CC - in the end it ended up in the sports complex

I do agree that in general Baseball and Arenas are used much more frequently, esp non dome football stadiums
Very true. It is a retractable roof and they did have a large area of mostly surface parking lot they could build on.

But the question starts to become what happens when the stadium is no longer used? It seems the lifespan of an NFL stadium these days is about 20 years. Indianapolis was able to fill the space left from demolishing the RCA Dome by doubling the size of the convention center. But Market Square Arena was torn down 13 years ago (and sat empty for 2 years before that) and just this coming October will a new tower finally start construction on half the land. The other half is still nothing. And it's right downtown. This is another consideration when building a stadium downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 10:45 AM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,171,479 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I actually think Cowboys stadium is the perfect embodiment of this argument. It's pretty much as good as it gets in terms of stadium quality, but the area it is in has had almost no outside investment around the stadium in the several years since it has been built while tons of economic activity is occuring in the metro area around it. In fact, many of the restaurants surrounding it are failing making the area worse.

So who would want one of these things downtown? It just wastes space that could be used for more productive activities while sucking up tax dollars that could be spent for other things.
Yeah... about that...

I'm not going to get into the whole reason why it's not in Dallas where it probably should be because that's a topic all on its own.

Cowboys Stadium and the parking it came with literally replaced an entire neighborhood and it's in the middle of Arlington. Not exactly a huge city and honestly, you can barely even call it an actual "city". The area in question is just basic late 20th century suburban DFW and those restaurants were failing or going to fail anyway. It's been happening even before the stadium was built.

There are plenty of GOOD examples of football stadiums downtown like Lucas Oil in Indianapolis or the Superdome in New Orleans, the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Minneapolis and even St. Louis' stadium, which I forgot to mention.

Cowboys Stadium is an example of a great stadium built in a (relatively) horrible location. Although, as a Tarrant County resident, I'm not complaining about driving just 15 miles to get there instead of 30...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 11:05 AM
 
358 posts, read 359,703 times
Reputation: 306
St. Louis is the perfect example of downtown baseball vs. football stadiums. I visited a few summers ago, stayed downtown, and did a lot of walking around the city.

Football Stadium
The area around the Edward Jones dome was dead, except for a homeless guy who asked me for a cigarette.

Baseball Stadium
The area around Busch Stadium was filled with people several hours before a game. People were hanging out by the plaza, families were walking around, and there were pre-game activities going on around the stadium. A large number of people staying in my hotel were there for the game. All of this on a weekday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top