U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: ?
Outside 9 12.68%
Center 62 87.32%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Reputation: 33075

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I see you missed the point, I will try again. You seem to "give a damn" about Denver. I bet you the Pepsi Center gets more use than the Mile High stadium. You have to agree with that fact....
You say you "bet" the Pepsi Center gets more use than Mile High Stadium. Then you call it a "fact" and say I have to agree with you. Sorry, bub. I don't feel like researching it. You can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-19-2014, 09:36 PM
 
2,970 posts, read 2,750,783 times
Reputation: 6564
Stadia are best downtown (with few exceptions) - but on the periphery with contextual consideration to the topographical / logistical / public transportation and land valuation of a region. I covered this in past thread.

Downtown Ballparks: Good Idea or Waste of Space?

The ability of multi functional use of football stadiums for a variety of venues based on their design (domes et al) is another strong consideration. Peregrine's apt photo of CLE 'FirstEnergy Stadium' (I think the team chose the naming rights sponsor so they could actually use the term 'FIRST' in relation to the professional team) is a classic example of poor planning. There was an alternate spot almost exactly catty corner to the MLB stadium (Progressive Field) right on former RR yard lands (heavy industrial / container and trailer storage) that would have been ideal.

Cleveland's Quicken Loans Arena (multi use) will host the RNC in 2016. Interestingly, the downtown university (Cleveland State) has a 13,600 seat (Wolstein Center) arena which is currently underused, but enables various venues to be conducted with excellent sightlines (no multi story loges adding verticality to spectator seating like the NBA arena).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 09:41 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Reputation: 33075
No one pissed in my cornflakes, to the coward left that unsigned message.

http://www.sportsauthorityfieldatmil.../host-an-event
As you can see, some of these events are private, so there's no way to know how many events there are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Reputation: 33075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
St. Louis is the perfect example of downtown baseball vs. football stadiums. I visited a few summers ago, stayed downtown, and did a lot of walking around the city.

Football Stadium
The area around the Edward Jones dome was dead, except for a homeless guy who asked me for a cigarette.

Baseball Stadium
The area around Busch Stadium was filled with people several hours before a game. People were hanging out by the plaza, families were walking around, and there were pre-game activities going on around the stadium. A large number of people staying in my hotel were there for the game. All of this on a weekday.
So you look at the football stadium in the off season to the baseball stadium a few hours before a game, and think that's comparable?

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-19-2014 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Lebanon, OH
5,899 posts, read 6,329,515 times
Reputation: 12587
Stadiums and arenas should be downtown or close to it, not in suburbia, especially if there is a good transit system. The cities need the economic benefit too badly, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati got it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,528,523 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You say you "bet" the Pepsi Center gets more use than Mile High Stadium. Then you call it a "fact" and say I have to agree with you. Sorry, bub. I don't feel like researching it. You can.
Well what so you think gets more use, a football stadium or an arena? This is an easy answer. You don't even have to do much research beyond looking at each one's event calendar to get the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 10:54 PM
 
358 posts, read 359,974 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So you look at the football stadium in the off season to the baseball stadium a few hours before a game, and think that's comparable?
Absolutely. My experience was one of 80+ home games. The football stadium will draw that kind of activity only 8 times a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2014, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
3,111 posts, read 4,906,612 times
Reputation: 5429
To say Denver "did it right" with regards to the building of Sports Authority Field would be a little disingenuous.

There has been a stadium in use at that location continuously since 1948. The original stadium was built and expanded several times before it was demolished in 2001.

Prior to 1999, the area was used much more often than it is now as the original Mile High Stadium was a multipurpose stadium that was home to the Broncos and Denver's minor league baseball team (Bears/Zephyrs). Additionally, the stadium shared a parking lot with McNichols Arena which was home to the Denver Nuggets and several different of hockey teams.

Those old stadiums lacked the event space to host the types of events that the modern facilities like Sports Authority Field and the Pepsi Center. With the ability to host different events, it makes more sense to have the modern facilities closer to downtown.

Presently, event spaces in Sports Authority Field hosts several homecomings and proms, large wedding parties, social and charity events, and more.

One thing that no one else has mentioned is the ability to attract one-time events on a regular basis. Denver is fortunate in that it is a desirable location for these events as opposed to places like Portland, Cincinnati, Kansas City, etc.

Denver's arenas have hosted events like the NCAA Final Four (men's and women's) as well as serving as a regional and regional final site, NCAA Frozen Four, College Basketball tournaments (WAC, Mountain West, Big 8/12, etc). Also, Denver's main concert promoter of the 1960s-1990s was so well respected that the arenas have hosted every major act.

The stadiums have been host to many major concerts/concert festivals, World Youth Day, the Democratic National Convention, USFL Championship game, major soccer events, and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2014, 12:47 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,528,523 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
To say Denver "did it right" with regards to the building of Sports Authority Field would be a little disingenuous.

There has been a stadium in use at that location continuously since 1948. The original stadium was built and expanded several times before it was demolished in 2001.

Prior to 1999, the area was used much more often than it is now as the original Mile High Stadium was a multipurpose stadium that was home to the Broncos and Denver's minor league baseball team (Bears/Zephyrs). Additionally, the stadium shared a parking lot with McNichols Arena which was home to the Denver Nuggets and several different of hockey teams.

Those old stadiums lacked the event space to host the types of events that the modern facilities like Sports Authority Field and the Pepsi Center. With the ability to host different events, it makes more sense to have the modern facilities closer to downtown.

Presently, event spaces in Sports Authority Field hosts several homecomings and proms, large wedding parties, social and charity events, and more.

One thing that no one else has mentioned is the ability to attract one-time events on a regular basis. Denver is fortunate in that it is a desirable location for these events as opposed to places like Portland, Cincinnati, Kansas City, etc.

Denver's arenas have hosted events like the NCAA Final Four (men's and women's) as well as serving as a regional and regional final site, NCAA Frozen Four, College Basketball tournaments (WAC, Mountain West, Big 8/12, etc). Also, Denver's main concert promoter of the 1960s-1990s was so well respected that the arenas have hosted every major act.

The stadiums have been host to many major concerts/concert festivals, World Youth Day, the Democratic National Convention, USFL Championship game, major soccer events, and more.
Denver hosted the Men's Final Four in 1990 and are no longer qualified to host a Men's Final Four anymore. Though like Portland, they can host earlier rounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2014, 07:08 AM
Status: "Summer!" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Reputation: 33075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
Absolutely. My experience was one of 80+ home games. The football stadium will draw that kind of activity only 8 times a year.
1. What does that have to do with whether it's located downtown or on the periphery?

2. It has been shown over, and over, and over AGAIN that football stadiums are used for more than football!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top