Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Outside 9 12.68%
Center 62 87.32%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:29 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,472,041 times

Advertisements

Is anyone a fan of Citi field? i personally like how its nice and close to the airport but i personally like smaller ballparks that are tucked into the urban areas like Fenway and Yankee stadium..

Football stadiums should be out in suburbia with big parking lots because of the room (NFL stadiums draw more fans to the game.... need bigger stadium) and of course the tailgate experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 12:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,619,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Is anyone a fan of Citi field? i personally like how its nice and close to the airport but i personally like smaller ballparks that are tucked into the urban areas like Fenway and Yankee stadium..

Football stadiums should be out in suburbia with big parking lots because of the room (NFL stadiums draw more fans to the game.... need bigger stadium) and of course the tailgate experience
I'm glad that's been decided. Time to alert the press!

Old 08-20-2014, 12:37 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,390,045 times
Quote:
I'd like an explanation. You gave the first one on this whole thread, in 76 posts.
Here's a whole bunch of articles highlighting the 'value' of a publicly funded stadium downtown. None of this is new, the first article PDF is from 1994.

http://news.heartland.org/sites/all/.../pdfs/3075.pdf

Stadiums' costs outweighing revenue potential | www.ajc.com

America Has a Stadium Problem - The Science of Society - Pacific Standard: The Science of Society

From the 3rd artlicle:
Economists have long known stadiums to be poor public investments...Most fans do not spend additional money as a result of a new stadium; they re-direct money they would have spent elsewhere on movies, dining, bowling, tarot-card reading, or other businesses....And for every out-of-state fan who comes into the city on game day and buys a bucket of Bud Light Platinum, another non-fan decides not to visit and purchases his latte at the coffee shop next door.

Last edited by nei; 08-21-2014 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 08-20-2014, 01:09 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,138,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Citi Field is a pretty cool ballpark for a newer stadium

Old 08-20-2014, 01:15 PM

"Most fans do not spend additional money as a result of a new stadium; they re-direct money they would have spent elsewhere on movies, dining, bowling, tarot-card reading, or other businesses....And for every out-of-state fan who comes into the city on game day and buys a bucket of Bud Light Platinum, another non-fan decides not to visit and purchases his latte at the coffee shop next door."

Could that not be said about any land use? If you have a ballet studio, the patrons are just redirecting money they would have spent on, oh, I don't know, going to the ballet somewhere else! And for every out of state ballet patron who comes into the city on performance day and buys a case of champagne, a kilo of dope, and some cocaine, another non-patron decides not to visit and purchases her latte at the coffee shop next door.

And of course, it makes fun of sports fans in general.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:18 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,860,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
".Most fans do not spend additional money as a result of a new stadium; they re-direct money they would have spent elsewhere on movies, dining, bowling, tarot-card reading, or other businesses....And for every out-of-state fan who comes into the city on game day and buys a bucket of Bud Light Platinum, another non-fan decides not to visit and purchases his latte at the coffee shop next door."

Could that not be said about any land use? If you have a ballet studio, the patrons are just redirecting money they would have spent on, oh, I don't know, going to the ballet somewhere else!

And of course, it makes fun of sports fans in general.
Maybe but on the whole not sure I would agree

A DT stadium versus an office tower with 600 new jobs - would think the later would generate more bang for the buck

Also residential a similar dynamic. Other uses may have more as well (7 day a week retail etc.), maybe even a museum not sure on that. In general would suspect many other uses would generate more consistent through-put

also FWIW I am a huge sports fan and attend many events (different sports) every year

Old 08-20-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Maybe but on the whole not sure I would agree

A DT stadium versus an office tower with 600 new jobs - would think the later would generate more bang for the buck

Also residential a similar dynamic. Other uses may have more as well (7 day a week retail etc.), maybe even a museum not sure on that. In general would suspect many other uses would generate more consistent through-put

also FWIW I am a huge sports fan and attend many events (different sports) every year
Any use precludes another use. It's a poor argument.

And FWIW, I went to a performance of the Colorado Ballet last weekend. I haven't been to a Rockies game for two years (why bother?) nor a Broncos game for a couple of seasons. We did go to a University of Denver gymnastics meet last winter.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Any use precludes another use. It's a poor argument.

And FWIW, I went to a performance of the Colorado Ballet last weekend. I haven't been to a Rockies game for two years (why bother?) nor a Broncos game for a couple of seasons. We did go to a University of Denver gymnastics meet last winter.
ok, and the merits of the alternatives are not worthwhile I suppose...

Old 08-20-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
ok, and the merits of the alternatives are not worthwhile I suppose...
You're reaching. Standing on its own, it's a dumb argument. Use the land for one thing, you can't use it for another. Shocking!

Someone comes to town for a sporting event and spends money, maybe they're not going to go on a shopping spree too! Brilliant!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 08-20-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You're reaching. It's a dumb argument, and not even yours, so I don't get why you are defending it. You say the alternative to a football stadium is an office tower? Aren't those usually privately built (though often with huge subsidies such as tax rebates)? Wouldn't businesses have to be recruited? Are new museums needed? More residential? Is every piece of land supposed to be put to the "highest use" possible whatever that is? Schools and hospitals generally don't pay taxes. Maybe we shouldn't let them locate in the city either.
my only argument is among all the stadium types more of case could be made for a football stadium to be less desirable in more urban settings

I do not advocate no hospitals, schools, services etc as they are needed by all communities - I would argue vastly moreso than publicly or privately funded stadiums but that is me.

I dont have any horse in this race really though it does seem at times contrarian viewpoints are positioned on what to me are weak merits - again my own perspective

IMHO, office, residential, services are all likely more valuable to urban locales than are football stadiums or maybe any stadiums for that matter. But market and political forces generally drive a lot development aspects regardless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning