Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Outside 9 12.68%
Center 62 87.32%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2014, 04:08 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,071 times

Advertisements

Football and baseball stadiums should be closest to the nexus of city and suburban wealth. Wherever that is.

For instance, if Portland got a football or team, I'd build an expansion of Providence Park because that's closest to where the money is going to be.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 05:43 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Philly has both - for better or worse for Philly they have all 4 teams play in the same area and share the parking lots as well as the subway access.

The Subway station at the stadiums has the highest single time boarding capactiy of any subway station in N America - potentially the world

The station was designed to simultaneously load 8 different subway trains at once. I believe the station was designed to board ~30-40K riders in 15 minutes (I don't believe it has ever met this volume however)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_(SEPTA_station)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ci...0212debd7535fa
I don't see how Philly would be able to fit all of its teams in the downtown area. I actually like having the sports complex in South Philly. It would be nice if the Philadelphia Union(MLS) could relocate there in the near future.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:56 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
Baseball stadiums should be downtown.
Football stadiums should be in an outer area.

Baseball seasons are long and can have multiple home games per week, bringing in a lot of summertime foot traffic to the downtown area. This can be good for the surrounding businesses and overall downtown vibrancy.

Football stadiums are used for 8 home games a year, so any kind of residual benefit would be negligible.
That makes no sense. New Orleans has the Superdome downtown, probably the best placement of any stadium in the country.
The Superdome is used throughout the year for concerts, conventions, etc and hotels are packed as well as streets whenever an event is held. Also the Smoothie King Center is right next to it which holds more concerts and conventions which provide the same boost to the CBD and French Quarter.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That makes no sense. New Orleans has the Superdome downtown, probably the best placement of any stadium in the country.
The Superdome is used throughout the year for concerts, conventions, etc and hotels are packed as well as streets whenever an event is held. Also the Smoothie King Center is right next to it which holds more concerts and conventions which provide the same boost to the CBD and French Quarter.
I agree it makes no sense. Mile High Stadium (actually Invesco Field at Mile High, but most people outside of Denver know it as "Mile High") is the same. Football haters gotta hate.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:23 PM

6,074 posts, read 9,098,885 times
I think it depends on the city and the atmosphere. I like stadiums downtown because they are in walking distance to other great things. However some cities have a higher percentage of fans that drive making downtown stadiums unrealistic. More urban cities should have stadiums in center, more spread out cities should have them outside.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:35 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
MLB has 80+/- home games per season.
NBA has 40+/-
NFL has 8 regular season, 2 preseason and MAYBE 3 post season.

So, yes NFL stadiums have much less positive impact on downtown businesses and a larger physical footprint.

Our NFL stadium is used for much more than just Miami Dolphins games. It is also used for UM Hurricanes games.

It is way outside the city and a giant PIA to get to. So much that the UM students will not support the team.

They would sell a lot more tickets if the stadium was downtown.

The Heat play in American Airlines arena which is also used for concerts. It is downtown and gets used a lot.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:08 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I don't see how Philly would be able to fit all of its teams in the downtown area. I actually like having the sports complex in South Philly. It would be nice if the Philadelphia Union(MLS) could relocate there in the near future.

The Philly sports complex is the best layout by far of any major league city. It is located inside the city limits about 4 miles from downtown, with plenty of parking and great subway access. There is no way Philadelphia could put the stadiums in or near the downtown area as Center City Philadelphia is built up just like Manhattan and San Francisco. Building stadiums downtown is for smaller cities that are developing or older cities that have lost population and can build stadiums downtown as part of an urban renewal project.

The stadium that started the bring the stadiums downtown movement from the suburbs, Oriole Park at Camden Yards in Baltimore, was successful because it brought fans and celebrants downtown, but many blocks were condemned to get the land to build it, displacing many businesses and over 5,000 jobs, many of which relocated to the suburbs.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:24 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,324 times
Jerry World aka The Death Star, aka Cowboys Stadium looks great, but I wish it were closer to Dallas. At the very least, I wish it was in ONE of the MANY suburbs that has public transportation. Somehow, 'ol Jerruh found the one DFW suburb with no real access to public transport. I guess it maximizes that parking revenue...

Old 08-18-2014, 09:08 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,323,293 times
MLB and NBA stadiums belong downtown. NFL stadiums belong in the history books

Old 08-18-2014, 09:21 PM

358 posts, read 450,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Most NFL stadiums are not multi-purpose domes like the Superdome. They are outdoor stadiums that require large parking lots, which get used for tailgating. It doesn't make sense to put them downtown.

For the cities that have multi-purpose domes... Sure, put them downtown. But those stadiums aren't typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning