U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 03:06 PM

2,748 posts, read 2,695,259 times

Advertisements

The end of neighbours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 05:26 PM

27,479 posts, read 17,613,967 times
Quote:
It’s a new day in the neighbourhood all across the Western world. More than 30 per cent of Canadians now say they feel disconnected from their neighbours, while half of Americans admit they don’t know the names of theirs. An Australian sociologist investigating community responses in the wake of the 2011 floods in Queensland found relations in “a precarious balance”; neighbours were hesitant to intrude even in emergencies—leading the scholar to conclude that “we are less likely than ever to know” our neighbours. Quite right, too: A recent poll of 2,000 Britons found a third declaring they couldn’t pick their near neighbours out of a police lineup.
Guilty, I admit. I lived in my first house about 6 years, never met the neighbors on one side. Even now, I know the two neighbors on our private road, but we only actually see each other and chat a few times a year. Seems odd in the face of "social media" and "connectivity" that we are more isolated in many ways than ever.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:02 PM

86,980 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Our neighborhood just had a "block party" a couple weeks ago. A great time was had by all!

Old 08-19-2014, 08:42 PM

32,363 posts, read 59,787,282 times
I chat with at least two or three of my neighbors every day. So whatever.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:00 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,921,713 times
This doesn't ring true to my ear. My neighbors down the street are basically our best friends. My immediate neighbors are older, but we all know each other by name and tell each other when we'll be out of town, etc.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:11 AM

2,958 posts, read 3,816,032 times
This doesn't ring true to me either. Some of the closest friends I hold right now have all been my neighbors or friends that I met through my neighbors.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:39 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
Well, it does resonate with me. I am casual acquaintances with many of my nearest neighbors (I've lived here for seven years), and know the names of most of them, but I can't say besides a 5-10 minute chat (okay, longer for the retirees) I've ever did anything with any of them. Even the other parents of small children don't seem very keen when I suggest play dates.

The part about how we are segregating into neighborhoods of like-minded people, but increasingly have nothing to do with our neighbors in particular seems apt.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Well, it does resonate with me. I am casual acquaintances with many of my nearest neighbors (I've lived here for seven years), and know the names of most of them, but I can't say besides a 5-10 minute chat (okay, longer for the retirees) I've ever did anything with any of them. Even the other parents of small children don't seem very keen when I suggest play dates.

The part about how we are segregating into neighborhoods of like-minded people, but increasingly have nothing to do with our neighbors in particular seems apt.
You know, I mentioned our next door neighbor's name to my daughter (who does not live with us), and she spat out: "He's a Tea-Partier"! Well, maybe, though I doubt it. I know he's conservative and likes to talk politics, but he doesn't seem to go for organized politics. Anyway, when my husband had major surgery last fall, he shoveled our driveway and sidewalk after every snowfall. (I can't shovel heavy snow d/t having had hip surgery.) Politics don't count with neighbors!

Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You know, I mentioned our next door neighbor's name to my daughter (who does not live with us), and she spat out: "He's a Tea-Partier"! Well, maybe, though I doubt it. I know he's conservative and likes to talk politics, but he doesn't seem to go for organized politics. Anyway, when my husband had major surgery last fall, he shoveled our driveway and sidewalk after every snowfall. (I can't shovel heavy snow d/t having had hip surgery.) Politics don't count with neighbors!
I was just talking with my hairstylist the other day, and she mentioned how as she's gotten older she's increasingly wanted to move to a more rural area in one of the outlying counties (she grew up out in Westmoreland County, so she has no problem with it), but she always remembers what the politics of rural Southwestern Pennsylvania have become, and thus decides against it. E.g., the only thing keeping her here (well, besides her husband not wanting to move out there I mean) is she doesn't want to live around Tea Partiers.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I was just talking with my hairstylist the other day, and she mentioned how as she's gotten older she's increasingly wanted to move to a more rural area in one of the outlying counties (she grew up out in Westmoreland County, so she has no problem with it), but she always remembers what the politics of rural Southwestern Pennsylvania have become, and thus decides against it. E.g., the only thing keeping her here (well, besides her husband not wanting to move out there I mean) is she doesn't want to live around Tea Partiers.
Well, she's crazy, no offense. I don't think the guy next door IS a Tea-Partier (unlike many other neighbors of various political persuasions, he's never put up a yard sign), but so what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or