U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 12:27 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,295,823 times

Advertisements

Madrid redeveloped as a linear city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 08:33 PM

Some years ago I came across a book, "The Energy Center". The idea was a place dedicated to generation of energy, using whatever energy sources were convenient. Related industries would be located there.

For example, nuclear reactors producing waste heat in the form of warm water; this waste heat would be used to heat greenhouses or fish ponds during the winter.

Where to put them? Well….

There was the idea of building a city at the site of a defunct mall. But instead of a city, why not an energy center? The local economy could prosper through the export of energy.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:19 AM

12,299 posts, read 15,194,052 times
No heavy industry: it creates lost jobs and toxic waste. Green belts along the rivers, since they often flood. Expressways should be parkways. Commuter railroads extending 50 miles in all directions, plus a circle line 20 miles out. High speed rail to the airport.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:23 PM

Article about urban forms, Urban Land Use Patterns & Land Forms

Old 07-15-2015, 09:30 PM

Awhile back I tried to create a link regarding Lang's Edgeless City. Check out http://www.univ.edu/sites/default/fi...Georgraphy.pdf

Old 07-16-2015, 07:24 PM

jpdivola posted a scheme of city tiers, http://www.city-data.com/forum/40027520-post122.html

Gives us an idea of where we stand.

Old 07-18-2015, 01:30 AM

Default Skyline

One idea for a skyline-an observation tower. For example, the Space Needle has been a very distinctive part of Seattle's skyline.

Another idea-a giant flag. By Interstate 5, north of Seattle, a humongous version of the Stars and Stripes.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:25 PM

563 posts, read 428,809 times
Very interesting thread! I like (and need) a city to be well-networked with busses, and perhaps light rail. I have never taken a BRT, but the more I think about it, the more I am open to it. I do love double-deckers, both new and old. More so than articulated buses.

I like a mix of old and ultramodern architecture. I like Brattleboro, VT, Sacramento's mid-town and downtown, Malmo, SE's, western harbour, the bigger houses of St Louis' loop.

I like high-rise observation towers like the Space Needle or Calgary Tower. I might even put a few in a city I make.

I am a big fan of trees. I am quite partial to cherry trees and pear trees, because of their blossoms, but I like a good old fir tree as well. Which relates, I suppose to biking or cross-country running trails. I'd love to have many in such a city. I like the idea of a fit, mobile city.

I would certainly limit huge highrises, but certainly have some (and I would ditch the 500ft ceiling that Downtown San Diego currently suffers, due to the FAA's rules). I do not like sandy hues or concrete. I prefer metal and sprinklings of bright colors. I also like brick.

I am a big fan of the fact that San Diego has a downtown airport and a harbor nearby. I would only put in a light rail line to connect the two.

I need to reread this thread and let it soak in, but this is very cool. It's fun to think about.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:21 PM

I guess I am not conforming to the stated purpose of this thread. Instead of creating a city from scratch, I am thinking of retro fitting an existing city with new urban neighborhoods.

This may be limiting. But there may be some advantages. An existing metropolitan area has an economic momentum. There would be some infrastructure in place.

An existing city may already have some urban amenities.

There may be older buildings/neighborhoods, with a bit of character and a bit of history.

One thing is almost a given-much of the metropolitan area will be suburban.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 07-21-2015 at 07:58 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 03:00 AM

47 posts, read 40,878 times
If I were to develop my own town, I would use a weird strategy to experiment. The center focus of the town (downtown) would have strict building codes requiring any structure to fit the surrounding architecture of the town, but there wouldn't be any limits to height, the size of a room could be as big or as small as the developer would like, as long as it is doable and won't cause any safety hazards to the occupants, and all structures would need to have access to sidewalks.

Sidewalks would be approximately 10 feet throughout the whole town. Flower beds would be placed evenly throughout the town with a 4-5 ft limit on width, and a 10-15 ft limit on length. With no limits to what vegetation can be planted as long as it isn't an invasive species, nor will it cause harm to the area whether it be figuratively through aesthetics, smell, hazards, health hazards, etc.

The town would have a minimal dependence on streets, walkways throughout the whole town would outnumber the amount of actual streets within the town. All parking would be located within multi-story parking garages that would have to be smaller (height wise) than any adjacent structure to avoid a garage tower skyline.

Transportation would be mostly reliant on light rail, which would be placed within areas containing 500+ residents. Bullet trains would be utilized to connect with adjacent towns/cities.

Agriculture will be allowed within the town's core, since building codes are lenient on interior sizes and height, indoor agriculture/ vertical farming would be encouraged.

Industry would mostly rely on creating technological products such as computers, televisions, mobile tech, etc. Again lenient codes would allow these to be located within the town.

If a superblock is required to construct for industrial use, the structure would have to have the facade of the building be diverse in such that it would look as if it's multiple buildings. Basically an illusion.

Pollution standards would be strict within the town's core, in order to provide a safe, healthy, and free of worry environment.

Since, you could probably tell by now.... This is more of a high-dense town. Not your typical suburban town. Since all of the population would technically live within the town's core and density would be extremely high, most basic services such as police, firestations, and clinics/ hospitals would be located within short distances from everyone.

The town would also allow leniency on sky bridges. Since the number of walkways out numbers that of streets, most sky bridges will not intervene with vehicles, but their would be a height standard if it crosses a street.

Multiple sky bridges could be constructed for buildings to connect to one another.

The town would provide incentives for buildings to have roof gardens/ parks. More incentives for providing sky bridges connecting to other buildings and allowing access of the recreational areas towards those who reside within the connected buildings.

Businesses would not be limited to ground level. The town would encourage developers to utilize sky bridges on various levels to connect buildings, and the town would enforce codes encouraging businesses to be place within certain parts of towers, sky bridges leading specifically to business above ground level would receive incentives.

The town would basically be like capitalism where the leniency on building (as long as it's safe) would push people to live within the core of the town, since their isn't any limits to height, if more residential is needed, building taller would be encouraged.

The outside of the town's core would be mostly utilized to allowed mother nature to grow rapant and eventually be used as a place to introduce a tourism industry. (If you could do a fly by of the town, there would be a notable difference from the side of structures to nature.

Town would be post modern (The core of the town should look interesting....)

Imagine a futurisric town with intense density, thin skyscrapers (which would be safe), people going within buildings to go to their homes, apartments, stores, entertainment, recreational, etc.

Fine.... This is actually a city. Whatever.

One can only dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or