U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 03:52 AM

2,881 posts, read 4,618,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
No heavy industry: it creates lost jobs and toxic waste. Green belts along the rivers, since they often flood. Expressways should be parkways. Commuter railroads extending 50 miles in all directions, plus a circle line 20 miles out. High speed rail to the airport.
This is a quandary. We love our cities, we invoke green space and trees and nature within them, but they're built on industry. Where heavy manufacturing is banned from cities--and most cities developed from some heavy industry in the first place--doesn't this just export the dirty work to keep it away from our lovely environments? Believe me, I'm not a hippie or a Luddite, but it's a raw fact to contend with, that bit of hypocrisy.

Technology manufacturing like our iPads, for example, is toxic. The solvent workers in China use just to clean the screens for shipping causes nerve damage. Components contain heavy metals. There's a reason e-waste is a carefully controlled category of garbage.

So this is something to consider when envisioning bright and shining spires of R&D perhaps, but none of the messy industry that actually builds those designs. Maybe my perfect city would have some manufacturing base that's not so damaging abeit not very cutting edge and "sexy." Trying to think what that might be...but I suppose I would be resigned to not living in a powerhouse metropolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 04:55 AM

13,736 posts, read 9,851,031 times
How would you create a town from scratch?

It would be composed of a network or mesh of dual ring villages.
Imagine a line of 4 story townhouses, wrapped into a ring. Do it again.
Now, you have a central park, inner ring building, ring road, outer ring building.

Exterior ring road links via roundabouts with other ring roads that surround DRVs.

The ring buildings would reserve the ground level for enterprise, businesses, meeting halls, etc. The upper levels would be for apartments, and perhaps professional offices.

For maximum disaster resistance, the outer ring wall is a robust barrier, not unlike a levee. There is a single entrance into the ring, providing controlled access, as well as ease of sealing the village in the event of flood, storm surge, mudslide, etc.

Engineering benefits : curved walls are stronger, use less materials per enclosed area, and the ring buildings offer the option to install a continuous ring balcony at each level, providing ease of movement around, up and down. The ring apartments are inherently energy efficient with only one exposed surface. Generally, the other surfaces are adjacent to other enclosed spaces or a well insulated exterior ring wall.

The inner ring road provides a social as well as transportation function, as it loops around. You can’t get lost. The central park is a family friendly zone, doubly isolated. Thus the Ringers have access to the best of all worlds - proximity to parkland, retail, services, entertainment, schools, restaurants, vocations, small town amenities, and more.

The combination of central park, and planters along the balconies can provide an exceptional amount of greenery. The roof decks can be configured as personal garden space for those who wish it. They would be free of most terrestrial pests that normally would consume the harvest. This would result in far more green space per unit area than any other urban design.

Each DRV is not unlike a unique neighborhood. As part of a larger city, connecting them via mass transit is simplified. One option is to run electric traction streetcars / trams at grade, meandering from ring to ring village. Another option is to install subterranean express trains, to rapidly cross the city. Due to the efficiency and distribution of goods and services, Ringers are not under pressure to commute long distances to access shopping, etc. In fact, local businesses can provide added value not usually found in other cities. For example, any ring restaurant can offer delivery service to the Ringers - “Room Service” on the cheap. Generally, entrepreneurs will seek to meet the particular needs of their neighbors in the DRV, thus offering “customized” products and services.

Though optimized for rail transportation, a DRV based city can accommodate the automobile. The mesh network of curving ring roads and roundabouts, imparts a “natural” speed limit based on the radius of curvature. Each roundabout can also have a parking garage (linked by foot bridge to adjacent ring villages), thus keeping automobiles outside of the DRVs, and leaving the inner ring street open to pedestrians and low tech wheeled transit.

Close packed on a triangular grid, the DRVs can offer security, disaster resistance, proximity to business, access to parkland, and disaster resistance, as well as energy efficiency and logistical benefits. Doing more with less so more can enjoy builds prosperity.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ring_life/info

Old 07-23-2015, 09:37 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,296,752 times
Default planting a seed

Scroll down Fine-Grained Urbanism: Opportunities for Discovery - Yurbanism Note comment that a fine grained urbanism evolves from a

Old 10-09-2015, 11:20 AM

Default elaboration

I'm thinking in terms of new urban neighborhoods being sandwiched between an old downtown, and old streetcar neighborhoods. Therefore, no direct transition to low density suburbia.

Therefore, an expanded but compact urban core. Surrounded by semi-urban steetcar neighborhoods.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:15 AM

Default blasphemy

I've been thinking about the people who want city amenities, but are not in interested in urbanity.

Perhaps we should consider including areas of "dense sprawl" in our cities. I'm thinking that such areas might be constructed on the peripheries of new urban neighborhoods.

And, yes, I have seen at least one web site condemn dense sprawl (and Los Angeles); there is an urban planners view point that anything not having the compactness/density/urbanity of a traditional city is inefficient/bad.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 10-10-2015 at 11:37 AM..

Old 10-11-2015, 10:09 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,675,691 times
I would just make the streets pretty and set up for efficient traffic flow and then let people build build build with little restrictions other than safety code. To me that's the only proper way to grow a city-organically and from the bottom up.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:03 AM

14,069 posts, read 16,090,068 times
Low density SFH, no transit, coal plant and a water tower. Eventually I built an elementary school, library, and so forth, but it's very much the bedroom suburb for a long time, worse than Mountain House. At least Mountain House had schools pretty qucikly.

Old 11-20-2015, 07:26 AM

48,186 posts, read 45,506,708 times
I would consider taking a ghost town and reviving it. I would look at cities like Portland, Amsterdam, etc.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
jpdivola posted a scheme of city tiers, http://www.city-data.com/forum/40027520-post122.html

Gives us an idea of where we stand.
In another thread (Most Urban/Densist Built Environments: Discounting Top MSAs) eschaton placed Honolulu in the same category as Los Angeles and Miami.

Has been described as "dense sprawl". On yet another thread this has been called "Urburban", or suburbs with an urban attitude.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:09 PM

Giving the different possible configurations for urban, Urburban, semi-urban, and suburban areas, potentially any city could become its own beast. Its own uniqueness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or