U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 02:33 PM

940 posts, read 745,288 times

Advertisements

Firstly, I'd consider the reason as to why cities and towns exist: consistently trade with a valuable trading partner or set of trading partners.

I didn't study planning, I studied econ, so my perspective on city planning is focused on location-based value extraction and resource balance.

Second, implement a statistical gathering body to examine the changing economic geography to assist in making decisions on where to build network routes.

Thirdly, when building trade routes I'd consider the inelasticity of the route (how dependent are a large portion of people on this route) before investing any major infrastructure to accommodate (no bridges to nowhere here) trade routes.

Fourthly, my focus would be to slowly replace network routes with public spaces or commercial spaces, shifting network routes, in order to accommodate residential and commercial demand. Principles of investment contingent upon elasticity apply here as well.

Fifthly, pray.

Sixthly, exit the planning realm, allow politicians to take over after a certain growth point and watch the sandcastle slowly crumble to the waves of human nature all while shorting whatever company is overpriced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 01:17 PM

2,293 posts, read 1,315,789 times
Review of the semi-urban landscape. The Semi-Urban Landscape

I would use zoning to include several niche phenomenon we don't usually associate with the suburbs. For example, "tiny" houses on small lots. Granny flats. Small apartment buildings. Actually, I am imagining a sort of loose version of mixed use, including some retail.

I am thinking of an Urburban neighborhood.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 06-05-2017 at 02:21 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 08:51 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,503,848 times
SoCal - Build all the cities to be more compact and walkable, with better urban transportation. The climate there is so amazing, its a shame that it is all so unwalkable

Lima - While the city is fine, I think the location for it is very very very bad, the city was built in the coldest and cloudiest part of the Peruvian coast. I would build it either a couple of hours north, or a couple of hours south. I think Pisco would be a great location for Lima, it would also be closer to Cuzco and Arequipa that way. The city layout itself is not bad, but I think its too crazy and unorganized. I would construct the city in a square grid pattern in all directions, similar to Buenos Aires

Old 06-18-2017, 02:05 PM

2,293 posts, read 1,315,789 times
One nice touch is a communal garden. A friend showed me one in Seattle's Northgate area. Includes flowers, which are frequented by bees.

For open areas in the city i would include:

1. Square/plaza

2. City parks

3. Communal gardens

I would make #1 urbane. I would make #2 and #3 green/lush, especially #3.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:21 PM

106 posts, read 65,683 times
http://www.thewoodlands.com/

Old 06-21-2017, 02:38 AM

1,280 posts, read 433,264 times
In the eastern woodlands, build near clean water. On the prairie, the town is portable. Horses, tents, tipis, wigwams, etc., to move with the cattle/bison herds.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:58 AM

One detail I've thought about is road surface. Cars will be gone soon enough, so asphalt and concrete are not worth the energy cost. Asphalt is not worth the smell and pollution. So brick, cobblestone, gravel, wood planks, or dirt.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:40 AM

12,548 posts, read 12,082,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
One detail I've thought about is road surface. Cars will be gone soon enough, so asphalt and concrete are not worth the energy cost. Asphalt is not worth the smell and pollution. So brick, cobblestone, gravel, wood planks, or dirt.
The problem with those surfaces is they're hell on bikes. Trust me, I speak from experience.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:52 PM

The skinny tire road bikes will be gone with the cars and smoothly paved roads. If people can still get bikes, they may be similar to older designs with giant spring forks and other low-tech shock absorption.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:32 AM

15,272 posts, read 12,724,214 times
Winding curved streets, houses that are all different with character..but that fit in with one another.. cars tucked away out of view so that children can play on the streets like the old days... No high rise anywhere... Houses should be painted every other year in glorious colour, or be built in old stone... flowers should be on every window box , all Ive done is go back in time to some beautiful places that only the lucky live.. http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/...23_634x389.jpg ...ok for some.. http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...9419012648.jpg I was brought up living in a tenement next to factories, and thought these houses were film sets.. never really thought anyone lived like this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or