U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 01:53 PM

87,020 posts, read 102,689,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
At least mom and pop, from my experience, are nicer and mom and pop are making more and if buy from mom and pop then more goes back to your local economy.
As the poster from the other thread that I quoted said, the Mom and Pops didn't hire blacks in his/her town. M&Ps can be quite dsicriminatory about hiring, and they don't really have to follow the rules if they have < 15 employees.
Understanding Your Legal Liability as an Employer | BizFilings Toolkit

M&Ps do not have a history of paying well, often give NO benefits at all, etc.

Most of the money generated by a WM goes back to the local economy as well. The employees are local. The stores collect local taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 02:05 PM

12,448 posts, read 11,951,877 times
FWIW, I meant "that's just me" in the same sense as "in my humble opinion." I hate having to drive a half an hour to get to IKEA as it is - I can't imagine willingly driving longer than this, no matter what the deal.

Admittedly, I might be biased against outlet malls because of my childhood (or rather, teenage) experience with them. My mother used to drive out to them, and I hated the long car rides, and was totally uninterested in buying clothing, spending the entire time that my family was shopping hunched in the bookstore, which typically had relatively little I was interested in compared to somewhere like Barnes & Noble or Borders. I was amused there was a "men's alley" in the bookstore though, where typically a half-dozen guys were huddled by the history books and biographies. I know the demographic of outlet malls skews heavily female, which may be part of the reason I found them so insufferably boring. Although in general I tend to approach shopping (either online or offline) as something I should try to spend the least amount of time humanly possible doing as well, so I'm sure that played a role.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:08 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,901,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As the poster from the other thread that I quoted said, the Mom and Pops didn't hire blacks in his/her town. M&Ps can be quite dsicriminatory about hiring, and they don't really have to follow the rules if they have < 15 employees.
Understanding Your Legal Liability as an Employer | BizFilings Toolkit

M&Ps do not have a history of paying well, often give NO benefits at all, etc.

Most of the money generated by a WM goes back to the local economy as well. The employees are local. The stores collect local taxes.
Sure there aren't good Mom and Pops. I really haven't observed any. The locally owned hardware store, Ace Miners, is far better in paying their workers. Even if a locally owned store doesn't pay employees any different, you are still giving more back to the community.

But I get the point that outlet malls aren't directly competing with locally owned clothing stores because outlet mall merchandise is a slightly different product.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:13 PM

^^I am here to tell you, if there were a local scrub store (meaning uniforms) in my town, or even nearby, I'd patronize it! If there were an outlet mall scrub store around here, ditto. If Walmart sold scrubs I'd go there. Oh yeah, they do and I do! Now I don't know why Target doesn't sell scrubs. They sell Cherokee brand, and Cherokee has a big line of scrubs. If they did, I'd go there.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
FWIW, I meant "that's just me" in the same sense as "in my humble opinion." I hate having to drive a half an hour to get to IKEA as it is - I can't imagine willingly driving longer than this, no matter what the deal.

Admittedly, I might be biased against outlet malls because of my childhood (or rather, teenage) experience with them. My mother used to drive out to them, and I hated the long car rides, and was totally uninterested in buying clothing, spending the entire time that my family was shopping hunched in the bookstore, which typically had relatively little I was interested in compared to somewhere like Barnes & Noble or Borders. I was amused there was a "men's alley" in the bookstore though, where typically a half-dozen guys were huddled by the history books and biographies. I know the demographic of outlet malls skews heavily female, which may be part of the reason I found them so insufferably boring. Although in general I tend to approach shopping (either online or offline) as something I should try to spend the least amount of time humanly possible doing as well, so I'm sure that played a role.
Thanks for explaining that.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:48 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,503,077 times
The quality isnt as good as the regular store. So, if people are okay with getting what they pay for, then sure.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:44 PM

8,980 posts, read 8,125,611 times
The small locally owned mom and pop stores, are on the way out all over the country for one big reason.....Due to the amount they buy at a time, they pay way too much for their goods, while the chains, etc., all buy at a discounted price based on the volume they buy. Back in my retail days, we would buy a carload at a time of popular goods (rail car) and run a sale where we sold goods for less than the mom and pop stores were paying for the same items. Walmart, gets a huge discount for the goods they buy, compared to the mom and pop stores.

Chain Stores and outlet malls, bring down prices for the consumers, which means they sell a lot more goods than if they sold their goods for the same price as mom and pop stores. In the future, the bigger outfits will drive all t he mom and pop stores out of business, and the consumers will come out ahead in the process.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:47 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,901,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^I am here to tell you, if there were a local scrub store (meaning uniforms) in my town, or even nearby, I'd patronize it! If there were an outlet mall scrub store around here, ditto. If Walmart sold scrubs I'd go there. Oh yeah, they do and I do! Now I don't know why Target doesn't sell scrubs. They sell Cherokee brand, and Cherokee has a big line of scrubs. If they did, I'd go there.
It's true in the sense that people come in good and bad, so stores do too. You have good corporate stores and you have bad, and you have good local stores and bad. I have no complaints from any local store I've been to other than higher prices, but usually better customer service and return policies.

I work at Sears and Ross right now. After my first week at Sears, I can say it's a very conservative company and they don't treat their employees as well as Ross. I don't like the products of Sears anyways. Ross gives full-time position and benefits, and pays their managers a good deal of money.

I support the companies that treat employees the best and I try to shop local as possible. The exception I have is I like Whole Foods and Sprouts, so I go to them over the local smaller health food markets. We have Walmart, I don't go there. We have Target, I go there because they at least give full time employees benefits.

In one sense, I suppose some outlet malls are causing pollution because they make people drive out to them since they are usually on the fringe areas.

I tend to typically support good big box stores and downtowns w/ local businesses. I admit I am bias because working retail makes you start to resent many corporations. I've worked for three local businesses and I liked being at every single one. It was small and like family. And you didn't have all the corporate policies to get through.

I know it's odd for me to support big box shopping centers, but not outlet malls.

Last edited by the city; 08-25-2014 at 06:58 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 07:03 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,580,197 times
They just built a huge outlet mall about 3 miles from my house. There are about 100 name branded stores in the mall. By far the majority of shoppers there are not local residents and in many cases have traveled here just to shop at that mall. I even notice a lot of US plates there which is a no brainer to me since prices are about 25% higher than in the USA. This mall will be a huge bonus to the local economy. The huge reality taxes they pay helps mine to stay low. It has created over 1000 direct jobs and who knows how many service related jobs. The people who come to shop might decide to do some of the other tourist related activities here and that all adds up. WE already experience 30 million tourist days spent here per year. The addition of a few million more is a GOOD thing.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:28 PM

8,145 posts, read 9,588,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetcarFan55 View Post
Yes they are more bad then good. They promote urban sprawl and auto-centric development and are far away from the urban core and not accessible to mass transit.
Why is it that any development regardless of type is a negative unless it is based in the "urban core"? If it was in the Urban Core would it then be more good than bad? I don't know where you are but depending on location mass transit does head to the outlet malls..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or