U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 10:41 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,688,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Mom and Pop are the worst people to work for unless you are son or daughter.
I will second that. A friend of mine has been in retail for years. Every mom and pop store she has ever worked for has treated her like crap while family members working for the store were treated like gold. She is very professional and knowledgeable in the clothing business and excellent with customers yet the little snot nose sons or daughters of the owners who didn't have anywhere near her experience or expertise always got the better hours and higher pay. Sometimes these plum jobs would go to other relatives. And she was often treated with disrespect because she wasn't family.

She would choose working at an outlet store in a mall any day over mom and pop stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I think higher end clothes are going out. People would rather spend money on other things. I worked at Ross for a while and it's booming. We get all sorts of people from all socio economic classes coming to shop.

Ross, Marshall's, TJ'Maxx, Old Navy, Payless Shoes, Famous Footwear, Kohl's, Fallas Parades, Burlington Coat Factory, Beall's, and Forever 21 are really popular right now. I think JcPenney's and Macy's are doing okay because of their sales, but Sear's is definitely going out. Nordstrom's seems to do well because of their return policy right now. Sak's is still around because they cater to the "old money" crowd.

Many people around where I live aren't too concerned on having the nicest clothes, but are more concerned on where they live and also healthy eating is getting popular here like shopping at health food markets.
This makes a lot of sense. In a city like Cleveland or LA where there are no retail shops in the core downtown areas, traditional and outlet malls serve a definite purpose. It wouldn't be fair to confine people only to malls with expensive stores that are priced out of some people's reach. Shoppers need alternatives to fit every budget not just those who are more financially well off. For that reason, if the prices at the outlet malls are legit, they do more good than harm for many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 10:59 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,353,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
This is why they are located out in the middle of nowhere, far from the regular retail centers. We have 3 in the area, one is in North Bend, WA, about 30 miles from Seattle, another in Marysville, 34 miles away, in Centralia 84 miles away and another in Burlington, 66 miles away. All are located adjacent to a major freeway in order to attract passing cars on the way somewhere. They provide many jobs for people in small towns and tax revenue not paid for by the local citizens.
Don't forget the outlet collection of seattle but it's 30 miles from seattle also in Auburn.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:08 AM

4,832 posts, read 10,900,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I will second that. A friend of mine has been in retail for years. Every mom and pop store she has ever worked for has treated her like crap while family members working for the store were treated like gold. She is very professional and knowledgeable in the clothing business and excellent with customers yet the little snot nose sons or daughters of the owners who didn't have anywhere near her experience or expertise always got the better hours and higher pay. Sometimes these plum jobs would go to other relatives. And she was often treated with disrespect because she wasn't family.

She would choose working at an outlet store in a mall any day over mom and pop stores.

This makes a lot of sense. In a city like Cleveland or LA where there are no retail shops in the core downtown areas, traditional and outlet malls serve a definite purpose. It wouldn't be fair to confine people only to malls with expensive stores that are priced out of some people's reach. Shoppers need alternatives to fit every budget not just those who are more financially well off. For that reason, if the prices at the outlet malls are legit, they do more good than harm for many people.
there is good and bad to both retail and local. when i worked in retail, the district manager would get a new manager every two years. they were strict to enforce rules and promotions weren't often. Maybe retail just wasn't for me though. the mom and pop stores i worked for didn't have family members working there. i can see if they did though that it would be annoying

Old 09-13-2014, 06:27 PM

12,309 posts, read 15,215,162 times
Perhaps. Sure you save money on certain items, usually clothing. But few are up to specification. And you may buy more than you will ever use. Sure you got it at 30% off, so you bought two. But you never wore the second, so you spent 40% more.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Perhaps. Sure you save money on certain items, usually clothing. But few are up to specification. And you may buy more than you will ever use. Sure you got it at 30% off, so you bought two. But you never wore the second, so you spent 40% more.
it might be worth it to buy an outfit for one or two occasions.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:45 AM

6,383 posts, read 6,018,891 times
Quote:
Just a quick thought I had about outlet malls. Do you think they have the same negative effect on downtowns like enclosed malls do? Most outlet malls I know are tourist destinations. The jobs created by outlet malls are for mostly high schooler kids needing work. Any thoughts?
Technically any shopping outside of downtown has a negative effect, depending on who you ask. But where I lived the indoor shopping mall was a lot closer than downtown, and I lived within the city limits. It is nice to have options.

Downtown shopping tends to be more high end/luxury, in comparison to suburban shopping, and outlet malls have loss leader clothing no one really wants.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:10 PM

I don't know why people would want to pay a lot for a bunch of stuff anyways. Boutique stores are another phenomenon I don't understand.

It doesn't make sense to shop at typical malls anymore when outlet malls and strip malls seem to do better. There is a bunch of high priced stores in our college town's downtown. I guess all the engineers, lawyers, and doctors don't mind spending all their money.

I'd rather work 40 hrs, make less, and spend less. I'd rather work less than earn more to spend more. Rest and time to do more is more valuable.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:58 PM

32,403 posts, read 59,899,964 times
Quote:
It doesn't make sense to shop at typical malls anymore when outlet malls and strip malls seem to do better.
Do better at what?

It makes sense for people to shop at stores that offer merchandise they're interested in. Why this is such a hard concept to grasp is beyond me.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Do better at what?

It makes sense for people to shop at stores that offer merchandise they're interested in. Why this is such a hard concept to grasp is beyond me.
I think outlet malls have less vacancy rates than enclosed malls right now.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:24 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,688,776 times
Quote:
Just a quick thought I had about outlet malls. Do you think they have the same negative effect on downtowns like enclosed malls do? Most outlet malls I know are tourist destinations. The jobs created by outlet malls are for mostly high schooler kids needing work. Any thoughts?
Not all malls are created equal though. In Cleveland, there are no retail clothing stores downtown. In Cleveland Heights, where I live, and beyond I have easy access by either one or two buses to three large shopping malls. All of these malls are outdoor malls, two are more upscale: Nordstrom's, Macy's, fancy boutiques etc. and one has medium prices: Sears, Penny's, Payless Shoes etc.

In between there are strip malls with the usual suspects like PetSmart, Radio Shack, CVS, various fast food places and moderately priced restaurants etc. There are one or two outlet stores like TJ Maxx and Footlocker located in one of the strip malls next to a Target and a Macy's and across, believe it or not, from a Whole Foods, but no outlet mall per se.

All of these are within a 15-20 minutes of me by bus. Although I live just five minutes from the Cleveland border, I am about a half hour or more from downtown but there is no place to shop there anyway. Since I don't drive, I am in an ideal spot and all these malls are great for me.

So if I were to answer the OP's question, I would have to say one would have to base the answer on an individual's needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or