Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 02:37 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,157 times

Advertisements

The other day I got into the far left lane (on a one-way street) to turn left, and beside me was a twenty-something on his long board weaving in the lane next to me, as I turn left (on to another one way road) there was a marker indicating bike lane on the road surface (it wasn't very clear where one started and the other ended) well this guy on his long board comes flying around me and cuts me off as I'm making that left turn, and I'm thinking that I'm going to have to peel skate boarder out of brush guard for the next week, I lay on the horn in protest, and he yells back "I'm in the bike lane"

It looked similar to the pic attached, but with cars parked on both sides of the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Who had the right of way? Bike lanes in driving lanes-bikelane.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 03:00 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
If you wouldn't do it to a car, you can't do it to a bike. Bikes follow all the same rules as cars. Bikes are allowed full access to the road whether a bike lane is present or not. The bicycle has the right of way just as a car would.

With that being sad, this character on the bicycle was making an illegal turn. In the case of a bicycle making a left-turn, he is permitted and required to use the same turning lane as cars. The only exception is if the cyclist chooses to exit the road way and walk his bike across at the crosswalk.

He was at fault in the scenario you described.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:08 PM

5,896 posts, read 6,097,533 times
So you were turning left in the left lane of a 2 lane one way road? And the longboarder was going straight passing you on your left? If so he's not supposed to do that.

Anyways, those bike markings are kind of confusing. They look kind of like sharrows, except those typically have the markings in the middle of the road. The ones in your picture are sort off to the side, so it looks kind of like a sharrow, kind of like a bike lane.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:18 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,380 times
Around here the sharrows are usually on the right third of the rightmost lane, and often accompanied by signage that "bicyclists may use full lane." Also, it is not required to give the entire space of the lane to the cyclist, you just cannot pass within 3 feet (and presumably it has to be legal to pass, which it is not in your picture, but likely it was legal in your one-way road situation). For your scenario, the "cyclist" should have waited behind you to make the left turn. Furthermore, they're called "bike lanes" for a reason--longboarders should not really be using them as they are not designed for the more unpredictable swerving motions that a longboarder needs to do.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:41 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
A Skateboard doesn't count as a bike. I've never heard of them being considered a 'vehicle'. I'll check with one of our town deputies when I see them next but I believe skateboards are not allowed on State Roads in Maryland. I know we also prohibit them on town primary roads. They are allowed on secondary streets

Old 09-05-2014, 08:39 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
The other day I got into the far left lane (on a one-way street) to turn left, and beside me was a twenty-something on his long board weaving in the lane next to me, as I turn left (on to another one way road) there was a marker indicating bike lane on the road surface (it wasn't very clear where one started and the other ended) well this guy on his long board comes flying around me and cuts me off as I'm making that left turn, and I'm thinking that I'm going to have to peel skate boarder out of brush guard for the next week, I lay on the horn in protest, and he yells back "I'm in the bike lane"

It looked similar to the pic attached, but with cars parked on both sides of the road.
If the bike lane is not striped I don't think it can be technically called a bike lane. The white markings in the photo merely establish the bike route that, in this case, is shared with the regular vehicle lane. If there was a separate lane delineated by stripes, then he might have a case, so to speak. However, if he was on your left and was in the process of passing you as you were making a left turn, then I believe he was committing an error. The bike lane does not absolve him of his obligation to be responsible and aware of traffic around him.

[it's not some magic barrier]

Old 09-09-2014, 08:01 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
I would apply the "slower traffic keep right" principle; assuming free flow of traffic is the objective* it is the only rule that achieves this as much as is practical. Bicycles and skateboards function as vehicles when on the road surface and the same principles apply to them; I don't know the relevant law in your area or if skateboards are legally allowed on road surfaces, but if you ask me in this case the other person is in the wrong just as he would be if he was driving a car.

*Which should be the obvious and overt mission of every DOT for roads, but is currently very dubious considering the political establishment do nothing and care nothing about rotting roads and infinitely-expanding backlogs of cars that are strangling the economy, jeopardizing public health, and undermining family and home life.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:11 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post

I'm trying to understand what happened exactly. The long boarder was heading in the opposite direction of you? And you then turned in front of him?

Well, first of all, a long boarder doesn't count as a vehicle. I suppose the best analogy would be he would be considered a pedestrian. In which case, he shouldn't have been in the street. Although I don't really know where skateboarding fits in with vehicular law.

But let's assume he was on a bike. In that case, you would have to yield to his travel, since he is following the exact same traffic laws as you are (a bike is considered a vehicle).

If he was traveling in your direction and then passed you on the left as you were turning, it would be his fault. He should wait for you to turn or pass you on the right. Essentially should do the exact same thing a card would do in this situation.

Edit: I think I now understand after re-reading your post again...so he went around you on the left while you were turning from a one-way street. In this situation, he should have passed you on the right. One-way streets can be tricky, but basically bikes need to observe the same laws that cars do.

As others have mentioned, the picture you showed isn't a bike lane. Rather is indicates that it is a major bike route and that bikes will be sharing the road with you. Technically a bike is allowed on any non-interstate/highway road, but this indicator just lets you know it is a dedicated bike route and to expect bicyclists on it. Often times you'll find these on roads that alternate between 1 lane roads and 1 lane road with a bike lane. It is common in cities where road width changes from block to block.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:33 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
If I understand the OP, the guy was on a skateboard. Skateboards aren't vehicles in any place I'm aware of.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:44 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Doesn't look like any designated bike lane and skate borders are not bikes anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning