Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 10:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Well, this "soulless suburb" meme has been beaten to death. And according to the article, a suburb is what Ms. Gillibrand called Arlington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 09:55 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
It might be have a better argument if it were more specific to some of the newer downtown-like developments in Arlington which more sterile (more monotonous architecture, less variety of businesses and people, fewer pedestrians) than an actual downtown, such as DC across the river.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:50 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
Kirsten Gillibrand shouldn

A good explanation on why the Senator was probably correct calling Arlington VA a soulless suburb (like most US suburbs are)
In Arlington's defense a lot of places do not have trees.

On a more serious note it is written from a New York perspective, and should be taken in that context with a grain of salt.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Giggles Gillibrand is useless and will turn on a dime to save herself should she utter the wrong thing. Career political hack in action.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:06 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,703 times
Soulless compared to what? I've lived in Arlington twice (total 9 years). It ain't DC, but it is far less "soulless" than most of the cities I've lived in. Arlington is a county (albeit 27 square miles) and completely built out since the 60's, but it does have some very livable, walkable, attractive neighborhoods, a nice park system---and just a 10 minute ride (max) to the District. The Senator probably hasn't explored anything beyond Crystal City and Rosslyn.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:47 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
I've been there personally on more than one occasion, and I never found Arlington lacking in character or distinction compared to DC or most other cities. Truth be told McLean, Tysons Corner, Reston, and the Dulles area aren't lacking in character, either. Their urban form is lower density and auto-oriented, but to call it soulless is extremely off-base if you ask me. Of course, this is subjective: we all know that one man's soullessness is another man's tranquility.

One thing that's not as subjective is whether to call it a suburb; it might function as a suburb and that may have been what she meant (though I doubt it), but core Arlington is as (if not more) urban in form as DC itself is. I have a hunch that exploring northern Virginia more deeply would do her a lot of good, as well as reading up on urban planning and urban planning forums such as this. Saying anything about urban form is a minefield not unlike religion and education, so one should be prepared.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
In Arlington's defense a lot of places do not have trees.

On a more serious note it is written from a New York perspective, and should be taken in that context with a grain of salt.
And many people on this forum think trees do not belong in "the city".

Old 09-23-2014, 05:41 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
The whole Northern Virginia is an interesting area, it is all county land and small towns, yet if it were a city, it would be the largest city in Virginia.

While I do agree that the area can be soulless in parts, there are suburb parts that feel soulless and their are new urban parts that also feel soulless, but then there are parts that are full of history and life.

The biggest mistake is the article tries to lump all of Arlington County into one easy to describe place.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:42 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And many people on this forum think trees do not belong in "the city".
I don't know about others but I most definitely think trees belong everywhere in the city. I feel that so many downtowns would improve if they tree lined their streets.

Portland has trees on every road and you can feel the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning