U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should public transportation be free?
Yes 21 20.19%
No 69 66.35%
That depends on what form of transportation 14 13.46%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 06:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,979,923 times

Advertisements

One benefit of free buses is it speeds up boarding time. Of course there are other ways to speed boarding up, but when you can pay cash at the front it can often slow things down a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 07:10 AM

3,037 posts, read 2,019,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandskyMan View Post
Do you think public transportation should be free?

When answering, please back it up with some logic.

Never, never, ever, is anything 'free.'

My tax dollars underwrite it. Yours, too---IF you work.

So no. You ride, you pay. Not me.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:30 AM

10,630 posts, read 23,419,189 times
Free for commuter rail, no -- that will just further encourage more people to live long distances from work, and there's no larger societal benefit to that. Free for transit lines in dense areas, yes -- as those are the areas where we want to encourage (and where it's already feasible) for as many people as possible to take fewer trips in cars, thereby reducing congestion, pollution, and wear and tear on the roads. And while making it free would cost more money, there's also significant costs involved in collecting (and enforcing) fares to help offset no fare.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:34 AM

6,382 posts, read 6,005,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandskyMan View Post
Do you think public transportation should be free?

When answering, please back it up with some logic.
No.

The costs are entirely too high and public transportation has never truly been sustainable to begin with. Fiscally, public transportation systems consistently run in the red. They are about to raise rates here next month by a quarter. But $1.75 is a lot cheaper than it is in other areas.

For some it is free if your company is involved in a special program with the transportation authority where you live. Typically this means municipal workers and students. But should it be free for everyone, no. If anything it is not expensive enough.

Another thing I do not like (which is probably an entirely different conversation) is how the same system will have reliable train service, but spotty bus service. Train is always on time, always picks up everyone and never has any issues. But the bus, if you can catch the bus and the driver does not pass you by, you never really know when it is going to arrive. It may be different in Cleveland, I've only visited, I never lived there. But I know that in Akron if it does not show up within 15 minutes of the scheduled time you may as well walk or catch a cab.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:54 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,271,674 times
No it should not be free. Someone has to pay the drivers and maintenance etc. So should taxi and airfare be free too?
Ridiculous.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:32 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,943,432 times
No;that makes it purely a burden on so many other taxpayers who do not use it. We do not have the funds for anymore public pork freebies.Makes less sense than eliminating the gas tax since it effects more people.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:24 AM
gg

17,931 posts, read 18,258,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No. In Miami we have the Metromover which is free, and the issue is the homeless people want to hop on it and sleep or hang out. Security has to boot them off when they catch them.
This will be the problem if it is free. There needs to be a fee. Make it free and watch the working folks stop riding it due to the homeless people flocking in there to get warm. There needs to be a place for the homeless, but no on public transportation.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:39 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,306,062 times
I never take public transportation. Why should I pay the fare of someone who does?

That's not meant to sound greedy or grumpy. It just makes plain common sense that the people using a service be the ones who pay for it.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:48 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,166,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I never take public transportation. Why should I pay the fare of someone who does?

That's not meant to sound greedy or grumpy. It just makes plain common sense that the people using a service be the ones who pay for it.
well people who dont drive pay for roads etc.

not sure the best route and to me PT should not be free in the first place Like all forms of infrastructure it gets paid for one way or another. To me PT should have in general regardless

Old 09-14-2014, 11:44 AM

151 posts, read 114,425 times
Depends, in Orlando, the LYNX bus sytsem has a free circulator around the downtown business district. That should be free. SunRail, our commuter rail system had 2 free weeks of free service during its first 2 weeks of service this past spring. Because it is the first "train" in orlando, families and joyriders would take it from end to end while people taking it for work (the way its intended) had no room and there were major delays of the system because of these joyriders. The fares help cut back on the amount of joyriders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or