U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:57 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,184,015 times

Advertisements

Definitely urban
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:59 AM

576 posts, read 503,750 times
Looks like a big city to me.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:24 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,113,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It looks like the opposite, there's a bunch of big apartment buildings in the country Club district. Going away from it, the densities decline to levels lower (many of it <7000 / sq mi) than what I would consider urban. I'd say the area is urban, but it's an "urban island".
Yeah you are right. There's probably nothing in the two cities I am most familiar with (LA and Boston) that are really like this area. I was also going to say it looks a little like Allston or Brookline but then the densities would be even more "off" than in Pasadena.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:39 PM

10,842 posts, read 19,431,006 times
Quote:
It looks like the opposite, there's a bunch of big apartment buildings in the country Club district. Going away from it, the densities decline to levels lower (many of it <7000 / sq mi) than what I would consider urban. I'd say the area is urban, but it's an "urban island".
The areas to the south progressively become more suburban. The Plaza is considered the far southern end of the commercialized urban core of KCMO today, but the areas around it (except to the north) have far more suburban characteristics than urban, even though many of those areas don't look like today's suburbs.

This is why there seems to be some debate here. This is a transitional area from urban to suburban, but the core of the plaza district is similar in size to the downtowns of many medium sized cities.

This area was a automobile dependent suburb on the outskirts of the city offering an alternative to the congested downtown area back in the 20's and 30's. It still has a quiet, laid back feel to it compared to downtown which is more gritty with more tall buildings and concrete, but less activity after business hours. "Today", the Plaza's built environment and pedestrian activity feels urban to me. While the the more urbanized Downtown can often feel pretty dead.

Downtown KCMO

For something a little more suburban, The Plaza:

Both areas have changed drastically over the past 50 years though. In some ways, the plaza district can be more urban than Downtown KCMO while much of Downtown KCMO is void of almost any life what so ever other than buildings and parking lots for most of the day outside of special occasions or venues bringing people down there (arenas, theaters etc). For the record, many parts of Downtown that were like this just ten years ago, are now bustling with residents, so it's getting much better.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:49 PM

10,842 posts, read 19,431,006 times
Another example of this would be Clayton, MO

Clayton:

Or several places in the DC area like Silver Spring, Rockville and Bethesda. All of these have very urban mixed use districts in very suburban areas.

Silver Spring

Bethesda

Although, while the is on the edge of suburbia, it is also connected directly to the more urban areas to the north. Clayton, Silver Spring etc are surrounded on all sides by suburban areas for miles. To me, these areas are very urban, even though they are surrounded by suburban development.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-17-2014 at 12:58 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 01:30 PM

14,068 posts, read 16,085,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Well since it's all overhead photos, it looks dense but not urban. I don't see a street grid.
Grid doesn't have anything to do with urban. Paris or London are pretty urban, at least to me. No grid. South Houston is mostly a grid and very suburban.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...0d02def365053b

Old 09-17-2014, 01:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,979,923 times
Ungridded Boston:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bosto...145.84,,0,-0.5

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bosto...105.81,,0,-2.5

London:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Londo...,144.16,,0,2.5

Old 09-17-2014, 01:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,979,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Both areas have changed drastically over the past 50 years though. In some ways, the plaza district can be more urban than Downtown KCMO while much of Downtown KCMO is void of almost any life what so ever other than buildings and parking lots for most of the day outside of special occasions or venues bringing people down there (arenas, theaters etc). For the record, many parts of Downtown that were like this just ten years ago, are now bustling with residents, so it's getting much better.
Interesting. I can't think of a city I'm familiar with having a similar district. Los Angeles and DC have a few similar ones, but not really. DC's secondary centers can't eclipse downtown at all. And Los Angeles' secondary centers have denser surroundings.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:46 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,113,739 times
Quote:
Interesting. I can't think of a city I'm familiar with having a similar district. Los Angeles and DC have a few similar ones, but not really. DC's secondary centers can't eclipse downtown at all. And Los Angeles' secondary centers have denser surroundings.
Either that or they are not walkable at all - Warner Center, Century City.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:18 PM

7,442 posts, read 9,883,454 times
Urbanity, much like autism, runs along a spectrum. Take that for what you will.

(To clarify, yes, I would consider this area "urban.")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or