U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 07:00 PM

522 posts, read 556,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I'm asking this because people over in KC forum are debating this topic, so I thought I would ask neutral people the question.

This has never been a question for me. I'm talking about the Country Club Plaza district of Kansas City, MO.

While this area started as a suburban area several miles from Downtown Kansas City in the 1920's and was designed around the automobile (actually the first such shopping center in the country), the area is now a dense, mixed use urban district of high rise hotels, offices and residences. The area is walkable and has parks, good transit and is nearby museums and college campuses. There are almost no surface parking lots etc. So despite many of the retail stores and restaurants being chains (Cheesecake Factory and Gap for example), it's urban to me.

This is a serious question. I'm not saying this area of KC is even comparable to outlying districts of Chicago or NYC or even LA, but to me it's urban and that's from somebody that has been to every major city in North America and lives in the DC/Baltimore region.

I actually work in Silver Spring, MD and personally think that downtown Silver Spring is also urban and very comparable in size and feel to KC's plaza. Silver Springs was probably considerably smaller a decade ago, but it has built up significantly in the past ten years with high rise buildings and ground level retail.

Anywhere, here are some aerials of the Plaza area of KC. If people are interested, I could dig up some street level photos as well.

But please do provide some feedback. I would like to hear people's opinions.

Sort of... kind of reminds me of Alexandria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 09:35 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,799,244 times
If this is not urban, then I don't know what is! I mean every place isn't going to be Manhattan....thank god for that!

Old 09-17-2014, 10:13 PM

5,085 posts, read 7,751,440 times
Looks urban (& awful) to me

Old 09-18-2014, 09:59 AM

12,470 posts, read 11,970,443 times
Pretty much looks urban to me. Although I'd have to see the activity at street level to really know for sure. IMHO urbanity basically boils down to:

1. Moderate-to-high density development (anything from semi-attached housing on up).
2. A mixture of housing, employment centers, and retail/entertainment.
3. Active street life.

It looks like this area fits on all three measures. It's clearly not one of those sterile suburban commercial highrise areas which are unwalkable. It's also not an ersatz urban area which empties out at 5PM. There are way too many parking garages for my tastes (albeit semi-hidden) but otherwise it seems to be a pretty good example of a "postclassic" urban area.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:43 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,590,013 times
It looks urban to me.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:23 PM

10,850 posts, read 19,467,554 times
Here are some photos that are not aerials.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:29 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,590,013 times
In its own right, it looks like a pretty neat city from the sky and the streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or