Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 08:13 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times

Advertisements

I'm asking this because people over in KC forum are debating this topic, so I thought I would ask neutral people the question.

This has never been a question for me. I'm talking about the Country Club Plaza district of Kansas City, MO.

While this area started as a suburban area several miles from Downtown Kansas City in the 1920's and was designed around the automobile (actually the first such shopping center in the country), the area is now a dense, mixed use urban district of high rise hotels, offices and residences. The area is walkable and has parks, good transit and is nearby museums and college campuses. There are almost no surface parking lots etc. So despite many of the retail stores and restaurants being chains (Cheesecake Factory and Gap for example), it's urban to me.

This is a serious question. I'm not saying this area of KC is even comparable to outlying districts of Chicago or NYC or even LA, but to me it's urban and that's from somebody that has been to every major city in North America and lives in the DC/Baltimore region.

I actually work in Silver Spring, MD and personally think that downtown Silver Spring is also urban and very comparable in size and feel to KC's plaza. Silver Springs was probably considerably smaller a decade ago, but it has built up significantly in the past ten years with high rise buildings and ground level retail.

Anywhere, here are some aerials of the Plaza area of KC. If people are interested, I could dig up some street level photos as well.

But please do provide some feedback. I would like to hear people's opinions.

Last edited by kcmo; 09-15-2014 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 09:04 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Well since it's all overhead photos, it looks dense but not urban. I don't see a street grid.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:11 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Well since it's all overhead photos, it looks dense but not urban. I don't see a street grid.
Here is the map view. It's a pretty gridded out. The river or creek kind of messes it up though with limited crossing at the water.

https://goo.gl/maps/9E9sL

Old 09-16-2014, 09:35 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
What's the difference between dense and not urban? If there is not grid it's not Urban? I would think urban and dense are practically synonymous, the grid would have little to do with it. Unless I'm misunderstanding the premise.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 AM

358 posts, read 450,834 times
It certainly looks urban to me.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:04 AM

2,171 posts, read 3,315,694 times
If that's not considered urban, I don't know what else it would be called.

Looks plenty urban to me.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:17 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Its looks urban to me. Most of the architecture looks uninspiring, but urban nonetheless.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:28 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Its looks urban to me. Most of the architecture looks uninspiring, but urban nonetheless.
The architecture at the street level is actually quite interesting. The shopping district was modeled after the architecture of Seville, Spain, and opened in 1922, so it's old, for a city in the Midwest. The buildings don't come across as "feaux Mediterranean" as do many newer developments that attempt to replicate that type of architecture. There's even a replica of the Giralda Tower in Seville. Lots of fountains and well-done Spanish architecture. Many of the old high rise and mid rise housing surrounding the Plaza also have Spanish style architecture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_Club_Plaza

Old 09-16-2014, 10:30 AM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
What's the difference between dense and not urban? If there is not grid it's not Urban? I would think urban and dense are practically synonymous, the grid would have little to do with it. Unless I'm misunderstanding the premise.
Some people (myself included) would say that you have to be relatively walkable and pedestrian oriented to be urban as well. So Tysons Corner, Perimeter Center, Uptown Houston, Mississauga Centre aren't really urban, although they're undergoing efforts to become more urban.

I would lean towards calling County Club Plaza urban.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:11 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Looks like a streetcar suburb that has grown and densified. I'd say yes it is urban, maybe about the same level of "urban" as my current location of Pasadena, CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning