U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2014, 02:03 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,003,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You can argue against anything you want for whatever reason you want.

And, no, it isn't. I never use transit where I live. Plenty of people argue that we should support transit here even though most people never use it and non-transit users are just getting soaked with taxes.

Society - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Not the absence of: me, me, me, and more me. As a society, we fund transit, schools, parks, and so on even though not everyone uses them. Stop being completely self-centered. That doesn't mean you can't argue against them, of course. It just means it absolutely is not hard to argue for them despite it not benefiting you.
That said, the reality is that parking minimums in places with very high land values do impose high costs on those who don't need that space. If land is going for hundreds per sf, a parking spot can have a market value of tens of thousands of dollars. The tenant or homeowner is paying for that one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 04:32 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,856,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
That said, the reality is that parking minimums in places with very high land values do impose high costs on those who don't need that space. If land is going for hundreds per sf, a parking spot can have a market value of tens of thousands of dollars. The tenant or homeowner is paying for that one way or another.
Not quite the cost of construction does not vary much by location. The market value of the parking spot might go for tens of thousands. In fact people in Lincoln park sometimes rent garages but the cost to build is an totally separate thing and it could well have been amortized long, long ago. I mean just because you built an garage in the 1990ies does not mean it is going to be any cheaper or expensive in 2014. If anything maintenance wise less expensive than living space.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:40 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,003,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Not quite the cost of construction does not vary much by location. The market value of the parking spot might go for tens of thousands. In fact people in Lincoln park sometimes rent garages but the cost to build is an totally separate thing and it could well have been amortized long, long ago. I mean just because you built an garage in the 1990ies does not mean it is going to be any cheaper or expensive in 2014. If anything maintenance wise less expensive than living space.
I didn't reference construction costs at all; I only referenced land values.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
I didn't reference construction costs at all; I only referenced land values.
Land value prices are relative and they will charge whatever the market will bear parking or no parking.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:46 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Quote:
Land value prices are relative and they will charge whatever the market will bear parking or no parking.
If the land value is high, a developer doesn't want to waste money on unnecessary parking when that money could be better spent on leaseable space.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
If the land value is high, a developer doesn't want to waste money on unnecessary parking when that money could be better spent on leaseable space.
Which is why parking mins. are put in. The developer does not have to live with the mess lack of parking can create the people who live in the area do.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Which is why parking mins. are put in. The developer does not have to live with the mess lack of parking can create the people who live in the area do.
And when the minimum is set too high, the developer is forced to spend too much money on unnecessary parking.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
And when the minimum is set too high, the developer is forced to spend too much money on unnecessary parking.
The developer could care less. He just wants to make an profit. The price of the housing will not respond to rational thought. You could pay $800 an month for an roach box in Lincoln park or get something better elsewhere but still there are $800 roach boxes in Lincoln park because some people want or need to live in that area despite the lack of space.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:02 PM

Quote:
The developer could care less. He just wants to make an profit. The price of the housing will not respond to rational thought. You could pay $800 an month for an roach box in Lincoln park or get something better elsewhere but still there are $800 roach boxes in Lincoln park because some people want or need to live in that area despite the lack of space.
Rue developer makes more from those rentable units than they do the parking. Also when a larger percentage of that parking sits unused, that is money a developer wasted because of a parking minimum. So yes, the developer does care about those things.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Rue developer makes more from those rentable units than they do the parking. Also when a larger percentage of that parking sits unused, that is money a developer wasted because of a parking minimum. So yes, the developer does care about those things.
In places where there is lots of demand for parking the parking often does not sit unused. In places with bad parking people rent extra space out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or