U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-15-2014, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times
Reputation: 7830

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
In places where there is lots of demand for parking the parking often does not sit unused. In places with bad parking people rent extra space out.
Downtown Brooklyn has a minimum parking requirement, the garages there rarely go over 50% full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2014, 05:13 PM
 
2,941 posts, read 3,859,930 times
Reputation: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Downtown Brooklyn has a minimum parking requirement, the garages there rarely go over 50% full.
Do you mean public garages or private ones? Private ones when associated with housing are also used for storage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 05:43 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Reputation: 33064
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Which is why parking mins. are put in. The developer does not have to live with the mess lack of parking can create the people who live in the area do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
The developer could care less. He just wants to make an profit. The price of the housing will not respond to rational thought. You could pay $800 an month for an roach box in Lincoln park or get something better elsewhere but still there are $800 roach boxes in Lincoln park because some people want or need to live in that area despite the lack of space.
Yes, yes, yes, and YES! I don't get this love affair with developers on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Do you mean public garages or private ones? Private ones when associated with housing are also used for storage.
Private garages typically, though public can be included. It is easy for a city to figure out if they have too much parking or not enough by the amount used. I am talking about parking garages and not individual garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 05:47 PM
 
2,941 posts, read 3,859,930 times
Reputation: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Private garages typically, though public can be included. It is easy for a city to figure out if they have too much parking or not enough by the amount used. I am talking about parking garages and not individual garages.
In the case of an private garage there can be lots of reason such as the store does not want to be limited by parking and therefore it is empty or in the case of an apartment the people are at work and the space is empty or the apartment owner does not want to be limited by lack of parking. An unit with no parking might only be rent able to someone without an car where as an unit with parking could handle both cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
In the case of an private garage there can be lots of reason such as the store does not want to be limited by parking and therefore it is empty or in the case of an apartment the people are at work and the space is empty or the apartment owner does not want to be limited by lack of parking. An unit with no parking might only be rent able to someone without an car where as an unit with parking could handle both cases.
This should help with you understanding with what I am talking about.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/26/ny...klyn.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 06:07 PM
 
2,941 posts, read 3,859,930 times
Reputation: 1439
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This should help with you understanding with what I am talking about.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/26/ny...klyn.html?_r=0
I love this one.... An high rise building where just over 1/3=(more than 30%) of the parking spaces are being used is somehow an reason to reduce parking to only requiring 20% ? Not to mention is the building at occupancy or not. This is called developers want to squeeze more people in and could care less about the consequences. And the building was only required to have enough parking for 40% of the households in the first place....meaning that there might not be much empty parking in that building in the first place less than 10%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
I love this one.... An high rise building where just over 1/3=(more than 30%) of the parking spaces are being used is somehow an reason to reduce parking to only requiring 20% ? Not to mention is the building at occupancy or not. This is called developers want to squeeze more people in and could care less about the consequences. And the building was only required to have enough parking for 40% of the households in the first place....meaning that there might not be much empty parking in that building in the first place less than 10%.
Well that is what I am talking about. No point in requiring more parking than what is needed, especially in an area where most people walk or use transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 07:21 PM
 
1,998 posts, read 2,933,575 times
Reputation: 2150
I love the "mess" that comes with little to no free, off-street parking. I've been living (with a car) in a neighborhood with "bad" parking for years and it's great, in my opinion. It means more pedestrians and less space taken up by parking, so more stuff to walk to.

People who don't like it can go elsewhere. There is no right to a free parking spot wherever you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2014, 07:46 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Reputation: 33064
^^PLEASE explain how less parking translates to more things to walk to. Do hipster bars spring up out of the ground or something when parking is made more difficult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top