U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 09:17 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,519,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No. You might be arguing with facts. Waste of time, in my opinion.

Freakonomics The Perils of Drunk Walking: A New Marketplace Podcast
You are aware that typically drunk drivers kill other people when they get into accidents rather than themselves. This basically states drunk walking is only dangerous to the drunk and not to everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 09:43 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
Isn't the real issue what it will do to cost of renting or owning?

Old 10-16-2014, 11:24 AM

14,062 posts, read 16,078,369 times
Whereas overall I do like Seattle's parking maximums. I wouldn't if they were city-wide or anything, that'd be dumb, but it makes sense there.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:34 AM

14,062 posts, read 16,078,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You are aware that typically drunk drivers kill other people when they get into accidents rather than themselves. This basically states drunk walking is only dangerous to the drunk and not to everyone else.
I'll copy pasta what I wrote for you to get a second chance at comprehension:

Also statistically more dangerous to walk drunk than drive drunk. Less selfish, perhaps, but also more dangerous.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'll copy pasta what I wrote for you to get a second chance at comprehension:

Also statistically more dangerous to walk drunk than drive drunk. Less selfish, perhaps, but also more dangerous.
To the drunk only, drunk driving is still more dangerous to everyone else. But we are getting off topic now so we will have to leave it at disagreeing.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:01 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,053,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Isn't the real issue what it will do to cost of renting or owning?

Most Americans are homeowners. Most homeowners don't give a crap about the cost of renting.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Most Americans are homeowners. Most homeowners don't give a crap about the cost of renting.
65% of Americans are homeowners. Not something I would call most, but definitely many.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Not quite the cost of construction does not vary much by location. The market value of the parking spot might go for tens of thousands. In fact people in Lincoln park sometimes rent garages but the cost to build is an totally separate thing and it could well have been amortized long, long ago. I mean just because you built an garage in the 1990ies does not mean it is going to be any cheaper or expensive in 2014. If anything maintenance wise less expensive than living space.

Cost of construction does not vary very much. Build N apartments, charge Y/N rent per apartment.

Build 0.8N apartments with minimum required parking and charge Y/(0.8N) rent per apartment.

I prefer the Y/N rent to the Y/(0.8N) rent, TYVM.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Which is why parking mins. are put in. The developer does not have to live with the mess lack of parking can create the people who live in the area do.

The carless poor person does not want to live with the cost of parking for which they have no use. Let those with cars pay for parking, and leave the rest of us out of it.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:16 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,004,793 times
Quote:
Land value prices are relative and they will charge whatever the market will bear parking or no parking.
But the market will bear different rates for different characteristics. The price of a place without parking will be different from a place with sufficient parking, all else being equal (unless sufficient parking is zero parking, an extreme scenario). It is up to the consumer to choose if the characteristics of a residence or worth the price.

So, again, minimum onsite parking can create situations in which residents without cars pay for parking they do not use. And this doesn't just apply to apartments or condos. Just look at how many home-owning residents use garages as a room. In some munis, this is outright illegal (though enforcement is usually nil). The fiats of government, in this case, disallow residents from making full and efficient use of their dollars because they can't legally adjust their home to their actual needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or