U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-22-2014, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,509,053 times
Reputation: 7830

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Even after regulating it to force below market value? I thought urbanlife was talking about private garages.
I was talking about public garages, I only park in SmartPark when I park downtown, but even still, private garages aren't much more in price.

http://portland.bestparking.com/
This only gives a very general idea, but it shows that most parking downtown is $2-5 an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-22-2014, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times
Reputation: 12636
Well, since $5/hour isn't much more we can just raise transit fares by 300% and stop wasting the taxpayer's money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,509,053 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, since $5/hour isn't much more we can just raise transit fares by 300% and stop wasting the taxpayer's money.
What are you even talking about? Sorry if I offended you by saying $2-5 an hour for garage parking isn't much. Honestly I go with SmartPark which is roughly the same rate as street parking. Not sure what transit fares have to do with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times
Reputation: 12636
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What are you even talking about? Sorry if I offended you by saying $2-5 an hour for garage parking isn't much. Honestly I go with SmartPark which is roughly the same rate as street parking. Not sure what transit fares have to do with this.
Huh?

Since a 300% increase is almost the same, why don't we increase fares by 300% to cover their actual cost? It's after all, almost the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,509,053 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Huh?

Since a 300% increase is almost the same, why don't we increase fares by 300% to cover their actual cost? It's after all, almost the same.
Thanks for your strawman comment....

Sorry, I should have said, SmartPark rates are the same as street parking. Not even sure I understand the point of this argument you are trying to create. Portland doesn't have the parking rates Seattle has, would you prefer it did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 12:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Reputation: 14804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Huh?

Since a 300% increase is almost the same, why don't we increase fares by 300% to cover their actual cost? It's after all, almost the same.
He said the SmartPark garage rates are roughly the same not the private $5/hour ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,509,053 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
He said the SmartPark garage rates are roughly the same not the private $5/hour ones.
That is my fault for not being specific when I said that because SmartPark is the only garages I park at downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times
Reputation: 12636
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
He said the SmartPark garage rates are roughly the same not the private $5/hour ones.
He's corrected that, it wasn't what he said.

And as you noted, those garages are subsidized by the taxpayer, much like transportation. If the prices are almost the same, why subsidize them? Just stop wasting the taxpayer's money. There's millions of dollars in contracts to manage those garages. Just let the free market take care of the problem and stop bilking people who don't use those garages. Also interesting to note the lack of complaints of subsidized parking by the government versus private companies choosing to offer free parking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,509,053 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
He's corrected that, it wasn't what he said.

And as you noted, those garages are subsidized by the taxpayer, much like transportation. If the prices are almost the same, why subsidize them? Just stop wasting the taxpayer's money. There's millions of dollars in contracts to manage those garages. Just let the free market take care of the problem and stop bilking people who don't use those garages. Also interesting to note the lack of complaints of subsidized parking by the government versus private companies choosing to offer free parking.

I'm not at all opposed to the former and quite opposed to the latter.
I apologize for not being specific. All I was talking about is how the cost of SmartPark is similar to the cost of street parking without having to worry about the time at the meter. That is all, I am not talking about transportation, and this thread has nothing to do with transportation so there is no point going off topic with this argument you are trying to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2014, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times
Reputation: 12636
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I apologize for not being specific. All I was talking about is how the cost of SmartPark is similar to the cost of street parking without having to worry about the time at the meter. That is all, I am not talking about transportation, and this thread has nothing to do with transportation so there is no point going off topic with this argument you are trying to start.
Sure it does.

If you can't see the relation to transit and minimum parking requirements, I have no idea what to tell you. Seattle obviously can see it. That's why it doesn't require minimum parking requirements in areas within 1/4 mile of frequent transit.

If the market rate and subsidized rates are similar, why waste taxpayer money on subsidies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top