U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 07:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,967,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In most cities that I am familiar with, including Denver, the speed limit is 25-30 mph on all but a few streets. I'm not opposed to on-street parking, just to the idea that somehow that makes the streets safer.
Plenty of people don't follow speed limits, I'll often go a bit over. The narrow street near me full of parked cars you often can't go 25 mph practically, even 20 mph might difficult. If my street were wider, it would be easier for cars to go faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 07:20 PM

1,998 posts, read 2,933,119 times
Quote:
In most cities that I am familiar with, including Denver, the speed limit is 25-30 mph on all but a few streets. I'm not opposed to on-street parking, just to the idea that somehow that makes the streets safer.
You can have two streets with the same speed limit but one has on-street parking and the other doesn't. The one with on-street parking is likely to have lower traffic speed because of the presence of the cars. People are more likely to speed when the street is wider because you don't have parked cars and you don't have to worry about someone pulling out or into a space.
I think it's pretty well-established among both proponents and opponents of on-street parking that it reduces traffic speed. I thought that was one of the arguments people were using against it in this thread, that it impedes the flow of traffic.

You are welcome to disagree with the empirical study that suggests that on-street parking reduces accident severity, but don't just disagree with it because you don't like the conclusion. Disagree because there is some problem with the study. I haven't read any problem with it so far.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:32 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Plenty of people don't follow speed limits, I'll often go a bit over. The narrow street near me full of parked cars you often can't go 25 mph practically, even 20 mph might difficult. If my street were wider, it would be easier for cars to go faster.
Well, good for you. I try to follow the speed limit. Speeding is a different problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
You can have two streets with the same speed limit but one has on-street parking and the other doesn't. The one with on-street parking is likely to have lower traffic speed because of the presence of the cars. People are more likely to speed when the street is wider because you don't have parked cars and you don't have to worry about someone pulling out or into a space.
I think it's pretty well-established among both proponents and opponents of on-street parking that it reduces traffic speed. I thought that was one of the arguments people were using against it in this thread, that it impedes the flow of traffic.

You are welcome to disagree with the empirical study that suggests that on-street parking reduces accident severity, but don't just disagree with it because you don't like the conclusion. Disagree because there is some problem with the study. I haven't read any problem with it so far.
Someone else presented a study that shows just the opposite. That study is more within my experience. My kids almost got hit by a car walking out between two parked cars on their way to the school bus stop years ago. Yes, I'm a bad parent; I hadn't taught them about that.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:37 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Well, good for you. I try to follow the speed limit. Speeding is a different problem.
As I said, many drivers don't. In any case, the narrowness of some streets lower the speed for drivers that do not follow the speed limit.

Quote:
Someone else presented a study that shows just the opposite.
The two studies do NOT show opposite conclusions, as I and another poster pointed out.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:38 PM

1,998 posts, read 2,933,119 times
Quote:

Someone else presented a study that shows just the opposite. That study is more within my experience. My kids almost got hit by a car walking out between two parked cars on their way to the school bus stop years ago. Yes, I'm a bad parent; I hadn't taught them about that.
As I already explained, no the second study does NOT show the opposite. It suggests that on-street parking makes accident more likely. That is not the opposite of making accidents less severe.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,859,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I lived for years in an apartment next to downtown Portland that didn't have parking. I paid a fee for a yearly street parking pass. It usually wasn't a big deal except when too many people from the nearby college tried to score free parking. I can definitely say the lack of a parking spot didn't factor into my apartment because the proximity to everything I needed was amazing from there. I would walk to classes, and walk and bike to work that was downtown. I barely put any miles on my car during those years.
And your car took up space that someone else could have used while you biked downtown or walked to classes. Off street parking often frees on street parking for people who are visiting the neighborhood or shopping.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:48 PM

87,006 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
As I already explained, no the second study does NOT show the opposite. It suggests that on-street parking makes accident more likely. That is not the opposite of making accidents less severe.
Yes, as you explained! OK, but more accidents may translate to more injuries.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:52 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,859,209 times
Quote:
Yes, as you explained! OK, but more accidents may translate to more injuries.
More people get injured but less severely....not an good trade I think. I would rather not be injured at all.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
More people get injured but less severely....not an good trade I think. I would rather not be injured at all.
Depends. I'd rather risk a minor injury than one that could leave me incapacitated for years or disabled.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:56 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times
Quote:
It is a common practice in Urban Planning schools that on street parking creates a buffer from moving cars for pedestrians on the sidewalk. It feels much safer to walk on the sidewalk with parked cars on the street than it does having moving cars next to the sidewalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or