Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:32 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

generally the market should dictate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 04:33 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
If the parking is as big of a problem as you say, sounds like there is a great economic opportunity to be made for a commercial garage owner in this town. I would ask what kind of barriers are in place that might be stopping somebody from offering paid parking to meet the excess demand.
It's not unheard of. Seattle has parking maximums in the downtown area. You basically have to demonstrate that your building needs more than the otherwise allowed maximum number of parking space. Say an urgent care center that has people getting on/off work when transit isn't running would be an example. If your business model is parking cars, they're just not going to give you a variance to build more than the maximum number of parking spots of zero.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:24 PM

5,889 posts, read 6,088,552 times
$2200 to build a parking spot assumes pretty cheap land though, like maybe in typical outer suburb developments. I think in many places, not just really expensive big urban cities, even here in Kitchener-Waterloo, in more central neighbourhoods that you'd want to build apartments in, land is worth about $1 million per acre, and if there's a building on it, which is often the case, usually it would cost upwards of $3 million per acre (building+land). So if you can have 100-150 parking spots per acre, that's $7000-$30000 per space.

$275/month is pretty steep for a parking spot though. It's mostly $100-200/month in Downtown Toronto. $275 seems to suggest it costs about $40-50k to build a parking spot.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:29 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
$2200 to build a parking spot assumes pretty cheap land though, like maybe in typical outer suburb developments. I think in many places, not just really expensive big urban cities, even here in Kitchener-Waterloo, in more central neighbourhoods that you'd want to build apartments in, land is worth about $1 million per acre, and if there's a building on it, which is often the case, usually it would cost upwards of $3 million per acre (building+land). So if you can have 100-150 parking spots per acre, that's $7000-$30000 per space.

$275/month is pretty steep for a parking spot though. It's mostly $100-200/month in Downtown Toronto. $275 seems to suggest it costs about $40-50k to build a parking spot.

Dowtown Chicago $275 a month would be average.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:34 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,077 times
Most american cities are car centric, so parking should be built for an complex. However, the complex can charge for the spot if there property is in demand. I live in DTLA and prefer apts w onsite parking rather trying to park on a offsite garage the many reasons (longer walk, price/spot competition w office workers, safety , security, etc)

Old 09-22-2014, 05:37 PM

229 posts, read 293,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
generally the market should dictate
Construction companies don't care about long term consequences, cities do. Here is what the "market" does to the city:

Old 09-22-2014, 05:40 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Please explain why a resident without a car should pay more.

The same reason I have to pay taxes for public schools when my youngest child is currently 28 years old and none of my children never went to public school.

Last edited by CSD610; 09-22-2014 at 05:53 PM..

Old 09-22-2014, 05:42 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,462,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
My job includes visiting commercial buildings with medical offices. 90% of the time these offices have zero spots available during normal work hours. In each of these cases the local zoning board has underestimated the parking needs and /or bought the developers reasoning for having what turns out to be too few parking spots on the property.
Let's be clear: estimations will always be wrong to some degree. Government estimations, doubly so. And the reality is that most parking requirements are arbitrary or based on terrible, unreliable data.

More than likely, the problem you face is underpricing of the parking (probably $0, as it's "free" to use). Some people stay too long, meanwhile employees have no incentive to find alternatives. If the choice was between a parking space at work or more money each paycheck, some employees would be incentivized to not drive at all or to carpool.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:47 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post

More than likely, the problem you face is underpricing of the parking (probably $0, as it's "free" to use). Some people stay too long, meanwhile employees have no incentive to find alternatives. If the choice was between a parking space at work or more money each paycheck, some employees would be incentivized to not drive at all or to carpool.
Depends on type of work and location of work. Some types of work are an heck of an lot incompatible with mass transit(I once had an job that started at 4 a.m.)

Old 09-22-2014, 05:48 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,462,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Depends on type of work and location of work. Some types of work are an heck of an lot incompatible with mass transit(I once had an job that started at 4 a.m.)
Well, s/he was specifically referencing offices, namely medical offices. I was assuming "normal" daytime hours. Your point is totally true, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning