Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2014, 08:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Thought you guys might consider this amusing:
Parking on Sidewalks in City Neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 08:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thought you guys might consider this amusing:
Parking on Sidewalks in City Neighborhoods?
There's a French poster from Paris who complains about that. Says it's technically illegal, but tolerated.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Here's a rather short on-street vs garage it thread:

Off street parking vs parking in a garage

Old 09-24-2014, 11:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post

The cost of rent has little to do with parking. It is mostly driven by demand. Those with more cash can drive the price up and away from those with less. Heck lack of car even limits where one should live(i.e. near as much transit as possible) much more than lack of parking limits it(if you made enough you could hop off the money to buy parking).
Not exactly. Lower income people own fewer cars than higher income people. Building a parking space is expensive, and expecting that housing for each income level should have similar parking requirements isn't very logical. Devoting the space to parking means less space for housing.

Here is a research paper from Canada:
http://www.vtpi.org/park-hou.pdf
Quote:
Most zoning codes and development practices require generous parking supply, forcing people who purchase or rent housing to pay for parking regardless of their demands. Generous parking requirements reduce housing affordability and impose various economic and environmental costs. Based on typical affordable housing development costs, one parking space per unit increases costs approximately 12.5%, and two parking spaces can increase costs by up to 25%. Since parking costs increase as a percentage of rent for lower priced housing, and low income households tend to own fewer vehicles, minimum parking requirements are regressive and unfair. Various parking management strategies can increase affordability, economic efficiency and equity.

**I realize the source is a progressive org, I have seen similar data from many cities that says the same thing.

Another similar story: Want housing that doesn't break the bank for lower-income residents? Get rid of some parking.

An excerpt from a research paper about LA:
Quote:
Using a partial deregulation of residential parking in downtown Los Angeles, I examine the impact of minimum parking requirements on housing development. I find that when parking requirements are removed, developers provide more housing and less parking, and also that developers provide different types of housing: housing in older buildings, in previously disinvested areas, and housing marketed toward non-drivers. This latter category of housing tends to sell for less than housing with parking spaces.
And another research report from CA: the City of San Diego this time. The key findings:
Quote:
Parking Demand Analysis
The statistical analysis of the survey and field data provided a step-by-step examination of the primary determinant of residential parking demand – household vehicle availability– considering both the level of household vehicle availability and factors that affect it. The findings are summarized as follows:
1) Parking demand for affordable projects is about one half of typical rental units in San Diego; almost half the units surveyed had no vehicle.
2) Parking demand varies with type of affordable housing (i.e., Family Housing versus SRO); higher demand is also associated with larger unit size and higher income.
3) Household vehicle availability varies significantly with income; however, income may be correlated with other project characteristics, such as project type and size.
4) Parking demand is less in areas with many walkable destinations and more transit service.
5) In all of the projects studied, the amount of peak overnight parking used was less than the amount
supplied.
You can drill into the report, and you'll see that the demand for parking was different across neighborhoods, and it was still too much most of the time!

We keep assuming that everyone wants and needs parking when in reality people are voting with this feet (or bus passes). We might as well use that land more efficiently.

Many have the choice and income to get a car. Not everyone can afford that luxury.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If an apartment building has enough street frontage to provide parking for say, six cars, yet has 100 apartments (say it's a 3-4 story building) and NO offstreet parking, that's a problem.
What about these 10+ story buildings without parking?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:25 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
No need for a lot of parking because if we're talking about a major metro area most people use mass transit or walk.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:54 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What about these 10+ story buildings without parking?
Parking IS an issue in Manhattan. It can be very tough finding a parking garage that has open spaces. Far fewer people also have cars in Manhattan because it's so expensive and there's a massive mass transit system in place. Most cities don't have much of a mass transit system because there's not enough people to justify it. Also, most mass transit systems are heavily subsidized by the tax payers.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Parking IS an issue in Manhattan. It can be very tough finding a parking garage that has open spaces. Far fewer people also have cars in Manhattan because it's so expensive and there's a massive mass transit system in place. Most cities don't have much of a mass transit system because there's not enough people to justify it. Also, most mass transit systems are heavily subsidized by the tax payers.
I'm aware of that, I'm not sure why writing against things I never stated or rather against a photo. However, I don't think the scarcity of parking is problematic for Manhattan.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:02 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,618,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm aware of that, I'm not sure why writing against things I never stated or rather against a photo. However, I don't think the scarcity of parking is problematic for Manhattan.
Parking can be a real issue in Manhattan. You really can drive around for quite some time looking for a garage with an opening in it. Forget on street parking. The chances of that happening are about as rare as Haley's Comet.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Parking can be a real issue in Manhattan. You really can drive around for quite some time looking for a garage with an opening in it. Forget on street parking. The chances of that happening are about as rare as Haley's Comet.
As I said, I'm aware of that. That doesn't imply it has created a major problem there. I've done that a number of times before. Well, street parking. Not going to pay for a garage. Mostly, I just avoid driving there. In any case, I posted for the photo mainly so I could a photo I took and it reminded it me of that post of Katiana's as it was an even more extreme situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning