U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2014, 11:12 PM
 
33,046 posts, read 22,111,252 times
Reputation: 8970

Advertisements

And if so, who should pay for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2014, 11:20 PM
 
35,108 posts, read 40,336,188 times
Reputation: 62062
Common sense would tell someone that parking is needed for new construction of an apartment complex.
Common sense would also tell someone that it will be paid for by the residents of the apartment complex when they rent there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2014, 11:33 PM
 
Location: Oak Park, IL
5,522 posts, read 12,300,367 times
Reputation: 3827
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2014, 11:46 PM
 
33,046 posts, read 22,111,252 times
Reputation: 8970
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Common sense would tell someone that parking is needed for new construction of an apartment complex.
Common sense would also tell someone that it will be paid for by the residents of the apartment complex when they rent there.

Please explain why a resident without a car should pay more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2014, 11:51 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,580,362 times
Reputation: 7830
Depends on where the apartment complex is located and how many units. The one who should pay for it is the developer of the apartment complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2014, 05:11 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,769,401 times
Reputation: 32309
Thus far I've figured out that original poster Freemkt doesn't have a car and resents that he is paying the same rent as the other tenants who have cars and utilize a "free" parking space on the property. I do see his point, but I just can't get all riled up about it. It's a trifle.

Suppose a tenant doesn't cook - never uses the stove. (Yes, that would be rather unusual). And further suppose stoves are provided in every unit as part of the rent. That tenant would have the same gripe as Freemkt with his unused parking space.

I live in a 26-unit townhouse complex which has a pool. Every owner is paying 1/26 of the cost of maintaining that pool, but some people do not use it. It's just the way life is.

Find something real to complain about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2014, 05:12 AM
 
33,046 posts, read 22,111,252 times
Reputation: 8970
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Depends on where the apartment complex is located and how many units. The one who should pay for it is the developer of the apartment complex.

: smack::s mack:

The developer, in turn, passes the cost to tenants in the form of jacked up rent. D'OH!

e.g. apartments that could rent for $1000 without any parking now rent $1100 because the required parking reduces the number of apartments that can be built. It is possible to allocate the entire set of costs (including the opportunity costs represented by foregone apartments and their rents) to the tenants with cars (e.g. charge those with cars $1200 while keeping the car-free at $1000) but that's unlikely to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2014, 05:20 AM
 
33,046 posts, read 22,111,252 times
Reputation: 8970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Thus far I've figured out that original poster Freemkt doesn't have a car and resents that he is paying the same rent as the other tenants who have cars and utilize a "free" parking space on the property. I do see his point, but I just can't get all riled up about it. It's a trifle.

Suppose a tenant doesn't cook - never uses the stove. (Yes, that would be rather unusual). And further suppose stoves are provided in every unit as part of the rent. That tenant would have the same gripe as Freemkt with his unused parking space.

I live in a 26-unit townhouse complex which has a pool. Every owner is paying 1/26 of the cost of maintaining that pool, but some people do not use it. It's just the way life is.

Find something real to complain about.

Except that parking is a very expensive amenity in an apartment building which makes housing unaffordable, especially for those on the margin.

People who don't wannt to pay for a pool can find plenty of townhouses without a pool. Parking is usually required by government whether people want it or not. Huge difference.


If Portlanders hope to address the area’s growing housing affordability problem, maybe they should get over their aversion to apartments built without parking spaces.

(snip)

Ben Schonberger, a board member of Housing Land Advocates, a local nonprofit that promotes affordable housing, said developers usually will charge what the market will bear on rents, so there’s no guarantee they’ll pass on savings from parking to tenants. But on the macro level, he said, studies show mandatory parking requirements make rents higher.

Expert: Find a place to park affordable housing


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2014, 05:36 AM
 
415 posts, read 627,648 times
Reputation: 542
I have a Dining Room set in my parking space, It's very Trendy .......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2014, 06:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,992 posts, read 42,070,148 times
Reputation: 14811
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Except that parking is a very expensive amenity in an apartment building which makes housing unaffordable, especially for those on the margin.
There's also limited space in denser areas. For example in a college student heavy neighborhood in Ithaca, removing the parking may have allowed for development to be practical.

Perhaps the key detail to developers was that for the most densely zoned parcels, parking would no longer be required. In an area of extremely high land values like Collegetown, that makes all the difference.

http://brancra.wordpress.com/2014/07...truction-boom/

Also, without off site parking one can park (though often inconveniently) on the street. A cooking stove is more basic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top