U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 11:11 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,263,727 times

Advertisements

New York Habitat considers Morningside Heights to be a part of Harlem.

Harlem, New York City - Video Tour of Morningside Heights, Uptown Manhattan - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 12:57 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,196,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Commerce City, CO has a very negative connotation to many Denver metro residents (industrial, dog food plant, oil refinery, etc). So when some new housing went up on some previously vacant land annexed to CC, it was called "Reunion". I don't know who is getting back together, but the Reunionites are offended if you suggest they live in CC, which they do.
Reunion, Commerce City, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree that the people in Reunion (and the developer/realtors) do not want to be associated with Commerce City. But this thread is about EXISTING neighborhoods being rebranded by marketing people to be more saleable. Reunion is a new subdivision built on empty prairie, nothing existing is being rebranded.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:15 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,263,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Pssh the Fairfax District ain't South Hollywood... Santa Monica / Vine is SoHo.

But really, that area has a name and it's Mid-City West. Or you know, the Fairfax District.

Overall, I agree that real estate people really love to carve up neighborhoods with new and attractive names.
I never really thought about their being an "Eastside" of Los Angeles. Apparently Westsiders were trying to appropriate the name and real "Eastsiders" didn't take too kindly to it.

Westside or Eastside? | LA EASTSIDE

Old 10-02-2014, 09:34 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,846,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Some sources say that the UWS includes Morningside Heights. Even if others don't, it's clear that most people consider MH and Harlem to be two separate and distinct places today, even if that wasn't historically the case.
Historically, Morningside Heights and Manhattanville comprise "West Harlem", distinct from central "Harlem" and "East Harlem". Morningside Heights is dominated by Columbia University, which apparently plans to take over Manhattanville as well. Few call Morningside Heights "Harlem", but it still isn't the UWS.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:48 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I agree that the people in Reunion (and the developer/realtors) do not want to be associated with Commerce City. But this thread is about EXISTING neighborhoods being rebranded by marketing people to be more saleable. Reunion is a new subdivision built on empty prairie, nothing existing is being rebranded.
Reunion IS a part of Commerce City. The residents avoid all mention of CC.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:08 AM

3,396 posts, read 6,186,112 times
It's a weird thing in Chicago, since we have two ways of defining areas. There are Community Areas, which are are well defined set of 77 areas defined by sociologists in the 20's and 30's. Community areas overlie neighborhoods, which are smaller areas (there are at least 200), but many share names with the larger community areas. There are also portions of community areas that aren't in any defined neighborhood, and just go by the name of the community area - even though there's a commonly understood neighborhood with the same name.

Where I live is a perfect example of this. I clearly live in the Logan Square Community Area, but I'm pretty far South and East of Logan Square Blvd and actual Logan Square itself. The actual park of Wicker Park is just as close to me as Logan Square proper is. When I say I live in Logan Sq. When I say I live in LS most people assume I live much further North than I do, and I've even been accused of lying about the neighborhood I live in.

Realtors have had a neurotic field day with this. Over a decade ago (when we bought our house) they called it "West Bucktown", because Logan Square wasn't as hot as Bucktown was at the time. After that a neighborhood to our West, Palmer Square, was popular as a new up and coming area. So for a few years realtors claimed we were part of that. Then Logan Square took off, and suddenly we back to being in Logan Square. It's all just crazy marketing BS.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:01 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,196,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Reunion IS a part of Commerce City. The residents avoid all mention of CC.

Of course it is, but it has nothing to do with rebranding an existing neighborhood, the topic of this thread.
Most (all?) new greenfield developments "brand" themselves for identity and marketing reasons.
But this thread is about EXISTING neighborhoods being rebranded by realtors/developers or new residents.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:19 AM

275 posts, read 315,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
But there are amorphous parts of South Philly that have only started to take on distinct identities in the last decade (or less) - and in some cases there was a lot of angst around the new names. Passyunk Square, East Passyunk Crossing (EPX), Lower Moyamensing (LoMo), West Passyunk, Newbold, etc all brought about some drama - some more than others.
Bella Vista and Queen Village in South Philadelphia were neighborhood names largely created by developers and realty companies in the 1970's and 1980's. They are commonly used with little controversy now, though.

I've never heard anyone use the names you're describing, except for Newbold and even then, not very often. I often hear "East Passyunk" for areas along Passyunk Ave. that are east of Broad.

Most people in Philadelphia (especially old timers) just say the geographical region of the city they live in. So Center City, West Philadelphia, South Philadelphia, Northwest Philadelphia, Northeast Philadelphia, etc. But like you said about South Philly, it's becoming more common for people to identify with a specific neighborhood.

My least favorite name that has recently gained some currency has been G-Ho for the Graduate Hospital neighborhood.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:25 AM

275 posts, read 315,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Few call Morningside Heights "Harlem", but it still isn't the UWS.
George Carlin called it White Harlem when he grew up in the neighborhood.

White Harlem

Old 10-03-2014, 10:51 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,120,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I never really thought about their being an "Eastside" of Los Angeles. Apparently Westsiders were trying to appropriate the name and real "Eastsiders" didn't take too kindly to it.

Westside or Eastside? | LA EASTSIDE

The oldest and most generally accepted demarcation for the Eastside is the LA River. So Glassell, Mt. Washington, Highland Park, Lincoln Heights, Boyle Heights, Eagle Rock - maybe Atwater Village - are considered Eastside neighborhoods.

It's not Westside neighborhoods that are trying to call themselves Eastside, but Central LA neighborhoods like Echo Park, Silver Lake, Los Feliz. They are firmly Central LA neighborhoods, and Silver Lake even wasted neighborhood council meeting time to vote that they definitely weren't on the Eastside. I think some people took offense as if SL was saying they were too "nice" to be associated with the Eastside neighborhoods, but I don't think that was really the case, it was more recognizing that LA River demarcation of Central / East LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or